JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had the same thought process about press-checks.

Years ago I was at the Single Stack Classic in Albany, and put the question to the group I was in. Why are they done...what's the origin?

Of course I was met with odd looks and comments, but the overall reason was to make sure a round gets chambered.

Then I put forth the question...in a stage where you shoot to slide lock, why don't you press-check after the reload?

More odd looks and comments. The overall reason was time loss to do it.

Next question...but has your pistol ever failed to chamber a round during a reload?

Blank stares all around.

As long as the magazine gets seated, which is easier with the slide locked back...the round will either chamber or will jam...there's no other option.

Same with the rifle...which is why I load with the slide locked back on a pistol, bolt locked back on the rifle...never had a round fail to chamber. They either chamber or jam...they have no other choice.

This would be a great thread to flesh out the "why we do what we do". Find out the origins of some of things we do.

Most of the malfunction drills that are still being done are based on the 1911, as well as why we grasp a magazine out of the pouch with the index finger on the bullet tip.

I intentionally built both of my current AR 15 platform rifles with no forward assist.
My thoughts are with you and my only idea is in a hunting situation where you might want to ride the bolt closed, and it might not be fully chambered? Hunting:
"If stealth is needed, bring a bolt action"

NO I'm not an instructor!

Last Edited:
..as well as why we grasp a magazine out of the pouch with the index finger on the bullet tip.
I've been shooting USPSA for fun for about a year now. I always place my spare mags in the carrier with the bullet tips facing forward. When I extract a mag to reload, that just happens to put my fingertip at the bullet tip. The only reason I load my mag carrier this way is that it makes for a whole lot fewer contortions that my hand/wrist has to go through to insert the mag into the gun. It's a simple outward rotation of my wrist as my hand rises to meet the mag well.

Mebbe that's why we load the pouch such that extraction results with the index finger on the bullet tip?

Last Edited:
I intentionally built both of my current AR 15 platform rifles with no forward assist.
My thoughts are with you and my only idea is in a hunting situation where you might want to ride the bolt closed, and it might not be fully chambered? Hunting:
"If stealth is needed, bring a bolt action"

NO I'm not an instructor!
This is what I thought, until I watched.

The "tap" is directed to the bottom of the mag to ensure it's locked in place.
I'm no SWAT guy or instructor, but I believe if the AR platform has been eating off of the current mag, I'd be inclined to rack, not tap.

Didn't watch (low bandwidth ATM).

That said, however one drills for malfunction / function should be consistent. As in always.

Simply because something hadn't occurred before, doesn't mean it couldn't in the future.

Ad in a problem during a stressful situation (DGU), and it's likely best to revert to motor habit along with cognitive problem solving skill secondarily. The motor habit will (likely) take over, before the cognitive problem skill set would.

If the motor habit skill hadn't solved the "problem" that fractional time used "might" let ones brain catch up to move onto the cognitive problem solving set.

Just IMO, mind.

I had always thought you tap to make certain the mag is properly seated, which is a cause of malfunction. Racking would do no good if the mag isn't seated.

Never really tapped. If it's in there it is in there. I've had FTfeed's from brass catchers. I'm a lot faster to rack and go forward.

Im no operator nor am I an Elmer Fudd.

I've been shooting USPSA for fun for about a year now. I always place my spare mags in the carrier with the bullet tips facing forward. When I extract a mag to reload, that just happens to put my fingertip at the bullet tip. The only reason I load my mag carrier this way is that it makes for a whole lot fewer contortions that my hand/wrist has to go through to insert the mag into the gun. It's a simple outward rotation of my wrist as my hand rises to meet the mag well.

Mebbe that's why we load the pouch such that extraction results with the index finger on the bullet tip?

The origin of placing the finger on the tip of the bullet, is again to overcome a 1911 deficiency of the day. That being, loss of magazine spring tension allows the top round to slide forward a bit, which would cause a problem during magazine insertion. Placing the finger on the tip of the bullet ensures that it's in its proper place.

Learned something there, thank you for that.

I just wanted to reply to be the smart@ss that says I think 'ol Bill's gonna have to change his website address and company name!!!
tap-rack.com?!? Tap rack tactical?!?

7xuWw.gif

:D

And just like that, now I get alerts to come back here and read all the good info! Thanks again!

So it seems like the change is many guns today have basepads. My question is how many of todays popular carry guns have flush fit mags?
The thing I note is the "tap" would still apply to flush fit pistols so I cant say the technique is outdated just that it might not bet needed if ones gun has a basepad....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top