JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just go with the zipper method, start low and zipper your way up. Learning to reset your trigger faster will help you get speedier follow-up shots too.

I'll add, it helps to focus on the target and wait for the sights to come down from recoil. The front aight should land right on target naturally. I make no claim to being a speed steel guy, but I know practice makes perfect. Also costs a lot in ammo, especially now days.

Wasted $64 yesterday on ammo. This is becoming more expensive than skiing or golfing.

If you find that the second shot is going high due to muzzle flip, just aim you first shot at the groin. Second shot should be fine if it's a bit high from there.

Relax. Things like this require time and experience.

One thing to consider is where your shots are breaking during the recoil impulse and recovery. You can record video from the side and slow down the footage to see whats happening. Once you diagnose that, make adjustments.

One thing to consider is where your shots are breaking during the recoil impulse and recovery. You can record video from the side and slow down the footage to see whats happening. Once you diagnose that, make adjustments.

Yep, that kind of data is invaluable. I have to bring a friend along but then he's going to waste my ammo. LOL

I remember practicing double-taps before striker fired pistols. Using S&W 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen, DA/SA, 9mm's it was always the first shot the went off target - LOL.

One thing that literally revolutionized my accuracy was my grip. Use of sights, trigger press, all the other stuff plays second-fiddle to my grip. If my grip is good (hand, finger and palm alignment, pressure, etc.) then it still amazes me how everything else works - including double-tap accuracy.

FWIW - YMMV.

Cheers.

Double taps take practice. I can do with with every semi-auto handgun I've had but it isn't something you just jump into doing, especially if you don't have much experience. Double taps require precision,recoil control and focus you need to have some mastery of all three even at short range to accomplish good double taps.
If I can do it with my H&K VP70 which as a long and heavy trigger pull(about 10-12 pounds every trigger pull), then you should be able to do it with that Canik with a 2.5 lb trigger you mentioned.

Practice at it but don't expect to get better at with dry fire, dry fire is great for learning trigger control, but for double taps the only way to get better is with live ammunition. Recoil control and recoil recovery are important factors to any double tap and are not something you'll get with dry fire practice.

Double taps take practice. I can do with with every semi-auto handgun I've had but it isn't something you just jump into doing, especially if you don't have much experience. Double taps require precision,recoil control and focus you need to have some mastery of all three even at short range to accomplish good double taps.
If I can do it with my H&K VP70 which as a long and heavy trigger pull(about 10-12 pounds every trigger pull), then you should be able to do it with that Canik with a 2.5 lb trigger you mentioned.

Practice at it but don't expect to get better at with dry fire, dry fire is great for learning trigger control, but for double taps the only way to get better is with live ammunition. Recoil control and recoil recovery are important factors to any double tap and are not something you'll get with dry fire practice.

I have to admit though, even the 2nd shot didn't register on the radar, I had a lot of fun doing double-tap. Single most fun thing I ever did with my gun, haha.

I remember practicing double-taps before striker fired pistols. Using S&W 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen, DA/SA, 9mm's it was always the first shot the went off target - LOL.

One thing that literally revolutionized my accuracy was my grip. Use of sights, trigger press, all the other stuff plays second-fiddle to my grip. If my grip is good (hand, finger and palm alignment, pressure, etc.) then it still amazes me how everything else works - including double-tap accuracy.

FWIW - YMMV.

Cheers.

Good points. Every action requires its own first shot to second shot training, sometimes to third shot!

Double taps with striker fired guns is the easiest for me. The squishiness of the trigger actually helps me stay in control. Like adding a leg kick to a baseball swing, its a timing mechanism for me.

With single action guns like a 1911 with light crisp triggers, I started out with one on target and one high. The gun would reset through the recoil impulse and immediately break. Almost like a bump fire.

DA/SA starting from DA usually meant first shot low, subsequent on target in the SA mode.

I was able to figure them all out, but they all needed adjustments.

My last supervisor before I retired in '17 was prone to blowing deadlines and racing through everything she finally touched, rattling people around her and causing extensive rework to repair the carnage from her spazzing. Everything was an emergency with hands waving frantically in the air, "We've got to get this done!"

Resorting to what works best for me, I was occasionally able to rein her in a little bit with two things. One from Lamaze class (I'm a dad) and one from the range.

1.) Take deep, cleansing breaths.

2.) Be deliberate. Sometimes slower is faster.

The pistol you are using should make this easy so try not to get frustrated. I have to suspect that its going to be a snap once you figure out whats going wrong here. Two things I have done to other who could not stay on paper doing this. First was 22. If you don't have one rent / borrow one and try that. Then as others mentioned slow down till you can get two shots inside of a few inches. Then see how fast you can go and still keep those two shots close enough. I know is sounds redundant but, many forget two slow hits beat hell out of 5 fast misses. :cool: While back newbie was shooting next to me. He had a nice sub compact and was staying on paper shooting an 8" target. I was shooting a .22 with an optic and was doing some fairly fast small groups. He was frustrated his did not look like mine. Asked me to watch him see if I could see what was wrong. I did, I told him he looked fine to me. I took his target down and held it up to my chest. Showed him every hole in the paper would be hole in me if he was shooting me. Then also of course said what I was doing with a nice .22 was NOT something to compare to his sub compact is a good caliber with a D/A only trigger. He seemed much happier after hearing this. I also told him for someone who had just learned to shoot he was doing VERY well indeed.
So bottom line get to where you can shoot twice, and both hits are solid hits. Most of us are NEVER going to be like some of the pros we like to watch. Some just have a natural talent and make it look easy but not everyone can. Even if you end up with some drug zombie coming at you as long as you can pump rounds into them, even if it's slower, you will win. The drug zombies are far more rare too. Most scum are not fearless. Few can get shot or even shot at, and still stand and fight.

The pistol you are using should make this easy so try not to get frustrated. I have to suspect that its going to be a snap once you figure out whats going wrong here. Two things I have done to other who could not stay on paper doing this. First was 22. If you don't have one rent / borrow one and try that. Then as others mentioned slow down till you can get two shots inside of a few inches. Then see how fast you can go and still keep those two shots close enough. I know is sounds redundant but, many forget two slow hits beat hell out of 5 fast misses. :cool: While back newbie was shooting next to me. He had a nice sub compact and was staying on paper shooting an 8" target. I was shooting a .22 with an optic and was doing some fairly fast small groups. He was frustrated his did not look like mine. Asked me to watch him see if I could see what was wrong. I did, I told him he looked fine to me. I took his target down and held it up to my chest. Showed him every hole in the paper would be hole in me if he was shooting me. Then also of course said what I was doing with a nice .22 was NOT something to compare to his sub compact is a good caliber with a D/A only trigger. He seemed much happier after hearing this. I also told him for someone who had just learned to shoot he was doing VERY well indeed.
So bottom line get to where you can shoot twice, and both hits are solid hits. Most of us are NEVER going to be like some of the pros we like to watch. Some just have a natural talent and make it look easy but not everyone can. Even if you end up with some drug zombie coming at you as long as you can pump rounds into them, even if it's slower, you will win. The drug zombies are far more rare too. Most scum are not fearless. Few can get shot or even shot at, and still stand and fight.

Yep I bought a long barrel gun (canik tp9sfx is 5.25") and upgraded the trigger and I'm using a streamlight to help me with recoil but isn't helping me doing double-taps. LOL. So much harder than I thought.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top