JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Check out that link. That should start you down the road of adjusting your A/F mix. There are lots of videos from that guy and others. He just happens to explain stuff in a way that resonates with me and makes sense.

The saw would run but when out on a load to cut the logs it would die out. It would start and run and then, when applied to cut a log, it would die. Ideas? thx.
Is this after filling it with fresh non-ethanol gas? If so, just keep running it if you are seeing progressive improvement. I am a KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle follower and doubt your carb settings are off by much unless you have significantly changed one of the variables recently like altitude. As soon as you start fiddling with things you are introducing additional variables. Do one thing at a time as introducing multiple variables has a good chance of adding more problems then solving the singular issue you are dealing with.

Another issue can be the oil/gas mixture. Stihl recommends 50:1. If you buy the Stihl premixed gas, very expensive, thats what you get. If you mix your own you need to be fairly precise. If you use another manufacturers numbers it could be anywhere from 25:1 up to 60:1. I use the synthetic Stihl oil and mix 2.1oz, IIRC, to 1 gallon Premium no lead gas. Ive got a small plastic cup with a line for the oil and mix 1 gallon at a time. Consistency is your friend. Can you fudge a little and have your saw run???? Yes but it. will not run the way it was tuned to run. If you run a 25:1 mixture in a Stihl it WILL run but will bog in the cut and foul plugs too! Older saws were made to run richer mixtures, like 25:1 or 32:1 though.

Stuff isn't made like it used to be and top and manufactures to compete pricewise offer entry level saws that maybe aren't up to the standards of the name the saw is built under. Try buying their pro grade saws. I personally have a couple stihl saws and blowers and equipment. The last few years I prefer my husqvarna saws. Every still saw I've ever had fired up great once warm but took two or three times the pulls to cold start that any of my husky's do. Their auto tune has worked flawlessly for me for several years, I can recommend the xp550 xp562 xp572 .

Love my Stihls. Not pictures is the 131 pole saw, 450 blower and FS90 trimmer.

6481AB23-6043-4D1C-ADA1-3ABD1EE4585A.jpeg

All my small engine gas is treated with Stabil as well as treated with a dry fuel additive. I think Stark is scamming me? They told me that carb replacement was a common recommendation from their shop. But after two saws and with little use, it seems very odd.
Use clear gasoline (no ethanol) and high quality two stroke oil. I would not use stabil, the oil should have a stabilizer in it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top