JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have had two Stihl $400 + chain saws go bust after very little use and after the 1st year. Each time I take it back to Stark and they do a tune up and ask for a new carb install. Now estimates $275 after one year of use, very well maintained, and dry between seasons. I thought Stihl was the best but I must be wrong or am I being gamed on a routine need for a new carb after limited one year of service. What do you think? If not Stihl, what should I buy? And from whom? I live in West PDX. thanks.

I bought my 028 Super back in 1985. "Made in West Germany"! It still runs to this day and has had no mechanical issues all this time. I have no idea about the new ones and what might have changed but if they are telling you it needs a new carb, I would be very suspicious of the repair place. It could be all the damn corn in the fuel that is causing your issues which is why I highly recommend(and use myself) finding the "clear premium" fuel with no cornahol in it. Also, if you store the saws with fuel in them, use something like Stabil in the saw and in your gas cans. I empty my fuel tank and run the saw dry before putting it up for extended time.

All my small engine gas is treated with Stabil as well as treated with a dry fuel additive. I think Stark is scamming me? They told me that carb replacement was a common recommendation from their shop. But after two saws and with little use, it seems very odd.

That doesn't seem right and I am pretty sure if that were "normal" nobody would be buying Stihl chainsaws any longer. Have you got a logging supply company that you can take it to? There are a few up here and their service departments seem pretty decent compared to the typical lawnmower/yard tractor shops.

That doesn't seem right and I am pretty sure if that were "normal" nobody would be buying Stihl chainsaws any longer. Have you got a logging supply company that you can take it to? There are a few up here and their service departments seem pretty decent compared to the typical lawnmower/yard tractor shops.
Great idea. I will look around.

There are a whole bunch of channels on you youtube dedicated to the proper use and maintenance of chain saws. There's more to a chain saw than one would think.

You might want to find a tree guy or a logger and just have him walk you through your saw and a few slash logs.

I have an 026 from the late 1980's. I used to use it a lot but now it mostly just sits, sometimes for several years without use. It still runs like a champ, never had any trouble with it and it's never been in a shop for repair.

It does have a bullet hole though, with a .22 bullet still lodged in the plastic for well over 20 years. I left it there to remind myself to not be stupid and forgetful. That's a whole 'nuther story...

You're running them out of fuel before storing them I gather? My local Stihl shop recommends non ethanol fuel. I run the synthetic mix oil as well. You can get a knockoff carb on Amazon for 20 bucks that works fine if you can get someone to tune it. Probably someone has a YouTube video for that

I have a Sthil 365 saw with a 28 inch bar I run the Sthil gas from the local logging supply. Saw runs like a champ and I have no idea how many cords of wood I've cut with it but we heat with wood only so a bunch over the 20 years we've been together.

I own two Stihl saws. 18" and 20" bars. Other than burning through the bars occasionally from overuse and user error, the saws have worked fine. I do use them. In winter store them with a little Stabil if not drained, is all. I do change spark plugs and chains, but that is about it.

I've used Stihl saws for years, including two at the present, with only one major issue. That one essentially "died" on the first outing in the forest, I took it into the shop, he wasn't sure what happened, called Stihl, and they gave me a brand new one to replace it. That one (exact model) has been used a lot since and nary a problem, so figure a fluke. That said, over all, I couldn't be more pleased with Stihl saws and service.

I only run non-ethanol in the saws and keep them almost anal-retentively maintained. Other than the occasional weird one, like above, no real issues. (The only other saw I remember going spectacularly caca was an off-brand, mini electric saw my better-half had for the garden. Died almost instantly.)

026PRO here that gets used once every couple years. Add fuel and fire with no issues. I run non ethanol and synthetic oil. Never heard of any issues like OP outside neglecting your gear.

I ran it on regular ethanol fuel with additive water removal and gas storage supplement when in use and drained after each season. I had little seasonal use out of both.

I have had two Stihl $400 + chain saws go bust after very little use and after the 1st year. Each time I take it back to Stark and they do a tune up and ask for a new carb install. Now estimates $275 after one year of use, very well maintained, and dry between seasons. I thought Stihl was the best but I must be wrong or am I being gamed on a routine need for a new carb after limited one year of service. What do you think? If not Stihl, what should I buy? And from whom? I live in West PDX. thanks.
I only run alcohol free gas in all my small engines. Also before you take them in next time, check spark arrestor screen to make sure it isn't plugged with carbon.

+1 run clear fuel (non-ethanol fuel). fuel with ethanol turns into water and corrodes carburators, causing a need for replacement

You're running them out of fuel before storing them I gather? My local Stihl shop recommends non ethanol fuel. I run the synthetic mix oil as well. You can get a knockoff carb on Amazon for 20 bucks that works fine if you can get someone to tune it. Probably someone has a YouTube video for that
I'll echo the knockoff carbs from Amazon suggestion. I have replaced carbs on several small engines and they work great. How the Chinese can build and ship something as complex as a carb and throw in fuel line, gas filters, and primer bulbs and ship it here so cheap is beyond me.

Ethanol free fuel, usually the premium stuff.
Dump the tank of fuel after each use. Fire it up and let it idle until it dies. Then store it. Even if it is until next week.
Only use one fuel additive at a time. Dumping 3-4 products into gas is like making a concoction that doesnt achieve anything and might actually be gumming up the works. My preferred additive is Stabil, and that's it.
I had some gas that I dumped recently because my saw wasn't firing up. I got some fresh stuff in the can and filled the tank on the saw. It fired on the 3rd pull.

Last but not least ask them for your old carb telling them you want to learn to rebuild them. Then take it home and start learning how to rebuild them. Buy yourself a rebuild kit. Watch some of the instructional stuff out there, tear it down, clean it, replace parts, put it back together, put it on the saw, and see if it fires.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews