JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I shoot paper to zero a weapon at a particular distance. Paper just doesn't lie. <--- period

With a decent spotting scope, I can sit on my butt and dial it in pretty quick. No substitute there. At close-medium range, it's super satisfying to see all your .22 pistol shots touching in one ragged hole. A superb indication that you're doing things right.

No stranger to military and SWAT weps, I recently enjoyed the opportunity to fire over a dozen full-auto guns in several calibers with a variety of optics. Relaxed civilian environment, competent fellow-shooters. High-cap mags, belt-fed, the works (mine were the boring semi-auto and lever guns). One guy with machine guns brought a dozen steels, all roughly 4' tall and about a foot wide, shaped like skinny little silhouettes with human sized heads. Superb training for a SHTF scenario.

With that in mind, there is nothing like "hearing the bell ring" at 100 yards and beyond in quick-react drills. Really good training for moving fast, changing positions, taking cover, walking shots in, fast reloads - and getting instant audible feedback with every shot.

Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, paper and steel are both excellent in their own ways.

LOVE THAT CLANG ! anyone in the canby area is more than welcome to come watch several dozen Cowboy shooters ring a LOT of steel tomorrow.Canby rod and gun club,no charge to spectate,eyes and ears required.

I bought some Federal 'Reduced Hazzard" frangible 9mm ammo a while back and want to give that a go, but shooting at a steel plate from 2' away or less scares me! lol

Plus could you imaging when the range officer sees you using this stuff??!!

Love shooting steel vs paper. Especially with a suppressor. Of course, nowadays, with the exception of .22lr, can't afford to just run through mags of 9mm, etc.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Burt, Steel targets are way more fun at Salute the targets are tilted forward so you can shoot them with no ricochet all of the fragments go straight down.
pretty fun stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews