JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Heads up Washington - last night we were informed that the state has installed a new background check system for Law Enforcement Agencies to perform background checks for handguns and semi automatic rifles. It was supposed to be a ONE day installation cycle. We are quickly approaching a week where LE agencies have been totally UNABLE to process CPLs OR firearms checks.

This is the precursor to the State's new Single Point of Contact system that is supposed to be in place next year. This means that dealer will no longer do ANY NICS background checks at all and we'll be completely dependent on the state's system. So far, the states IT track record is abysmal.

A new DOL system a few years ago was an epic failure, didn't work and cost way more than it was supposed to. The State's Firearm Transfer system currently managed by the DOL is as stable as Lindsay Lohan and Charlie Sheen on a double date at Pablo Escobar's place. For every ONE application we try to submit, we have to crash the system 2-3 times before it accepts the submission.

How did the State Unemployment office handle their IT issue with pandemic funding? They opened the flood gates to fraud and lost hundreds of millions of dollars. Anyone fired over that? Anyone promoted over that? (yup)

The DOL was tasked with developing a new system under 1639. They reached out to dealers for comments and feedback. We spent 3 hours with the DOL project team at our shop, discussing stability, efficiency, technology interface and security. They at least engaged the commercial market and wanted to service their clientele, you, the Washington citizens.

Under SB 2055 the single point of contact system was passed in the 2020 legislative session. They have a panel of 6 advisors, including one FFL and a citizen at large. The FFL selected has not reached out to any other FFL's that I'm aware of. I believe she is a buyer for a Big Box retailer, and not a shop operator. I was asked to join the States advisory board by several organizations, but was not selected. Perhaps that was a wise decision because I would have expected accountability, pushed for a system that was reliable, efficient and provided the fastest possible service for Washington citizens and the lowest amount of hassle for the FFLs.

I have shared this information with several state legislators, the NSSF, NRA and SAF. I will be testifying in a Senate Law and Justice meeting this Wednesday and will aggressively highlight this topic. Sharing the facts of the issue, how it can impact citizens rights, and endanger the safety and civil rights of Washingtonians.

So, if checks are taking longer than normal, now you know why. I'm sure its temporary, but the precedent set is a big one.

Have a great weekend, carry on.

And this is how they dictate gun owners. No laws need to change, they can simply change the software in a back office and shut down gun purchases. Then it is blamed on a glitch. This has actually happened in other states.

And this is how they dictate gun owners. No laws need to change, they can simply change the software in a back office and shut down gun purchases. Then it is blamed on a glitch. This has actually happened in other states.
Exactly.. they'll simply claim it as a whoopsies.. but this seems to have nefarious intent given the fact that its halting the sales/transfers of specific types of firearms at the height of transfer season.. of which citizens via the constitution have the right to access.

Its odd that they keep pulling the "incompetent card".. yet no one gets fired. Imagine if this was a social welfare service.. how politicized it would be and those responsible for the delay or fudge up would get fired.

Glad I live in Oregon where things are never screwed up and government processes are always working at peak competency. Ahhhh wait...never mind. :s0054:

Welcome to the stupid that is Oregons BGC system where you can buy firearms with wild abandon for almost 40 years and then all of a sudden somehow a traffic ticket and bench warrant for failure to pay can cause you to have to involved your State Rep and a County Sheriff to stop a 62 day long delay. When the person being delayed has a Valid recently renewed CHL.

I suppose the 10 day release thing goes out the window at this point?
Good question. Be interesting to see if anything changes on that. The 10 business day wait is part of the law here. Of course this often causes a lot of misinformation and anger directed at the wrong people. The Dealer can let the pistol go if they did not get a delayed or denied but, many will not. Will be interest to see if the state tells them they can no longer do this while the new system is setting up.

I'm a FFL and do quite a few transfers and sales. For shotguns and non semi auto rifles the NICS system is typically fast and efficient. I get a very fast proceed the majority of the time. When I don't, I have online access, and more often than not a proceed comes within minutes. I'm personally not a fan that the state get's sent a copy of the state forms with all of the information, including serial numbers. Not positive what they do with that, to be honest. When I do a NICS check I maintain the original 4473, but no serial number information is transferred. Unless there is a trace on a firearm in the future, the information on the 4473 is largely only known by the dealer.

I have some extremely frequent clients, some of them can average a firearm a week, or more, at times. I've come to know these people. They always get a proceed. Law abiding, good American's being delayed in obtaining their firearms is really a sore subject with me. I won't go into some of the particulars of the 10 business day waiting period, because there is a lot of misunderstanding and wrong information about it, particularly the difference between handguns and semi auto rifles. I will say that I will deliver a firearm when the law allows me to, if I haven't received a reply that indicates I can't do so. I wouldn't do that if I had any questions about the person buying the firearm, but that hasn't happened so far. I still accept shipments from private sellers as well, though I do require valid ID from the seller/shipper.

The area where I do business has quite a few difference LEO jurisdictions. Most accept transfer app's via email, though some require it via fax. I'm not seeing many replies prior to the 10th day, or very close.

Glad I live in Oregon where things are never screwed up and government processes are always working at peak competency. Ahhhh wait...never mind. :s0054:
Government of the people, by the people and for the people. Yuk, yuk, yuk. Where'd you get that head against the wall thingy?

I bought a pistol 20 May and still haven't been able to pick it up. Apparently it's taking longer for the background check, any of you experienced this? It's supposed to take 10 days but it's nearly a month now. I bought other guns there (Safe Fire). Without issue.

I bought a pistol 20 May and still haven't been able to pick it up. Apparently it's taking longer for the background check, any of you experienced this? It's supposed to take 10 days but it's nearly a month now. I bought other guns there (Safe Fire). Without issue.
Merged your thread into this one, as seems the most likely reason...

Exactly.. they'll simply claim it as a whoopsies.. but this seems to have nefarious intent given the fact that its halting the sales/transfers of specific types of firearms at the height of transfer season.. of which citizens via the constitution have the right to access.

Its odd that they keep pulling the "incompetent card".. yet no one gets fired. Imagine if this was a social welfare service.. how politicized it would be and those responsible for the delay or fudge up would get fired.
Consider that the absolute top IT people are happily employed at top, competitive salaries by companies like Amazon, IBM, Microsoft, etc.

Another set of top talent work for consulting agencies that charge top dollar for their work.

And then there are the "agencies" that spring up when gov contracts go out, usually headed by someone's kid, brother in law, or college roommate, who always come in under bidding. They get selected, hire some inexperienced and cheap people, and then Mr. or Miss. Nepotism pockets a ton of money while delivering nothing (if we're lucky) or a miserable failure of a system.

It definitely is incompetence, all the way down.

Consider that the absolute top IT people are happily employed at top, competitive salaries by companies like Amazon, IBM, Microsoft, etc.

Another set of top talent work for consulting agencies that charge top dollar for their work.

And then there are the "agencies" that spring up when gov contracts go out, usually headed by someone's kid, brother in law, or college roommate, who always come in under bidding. They get selected, hire some inexperienced and cheap people, and then Mr. or Miss. Nepotism pockets a ton of money while delivering nothing (if we're lucky) or a miserable failure of a system.

It definitely is incompetence, all the way down.
Very true. I was giving the government more credit than they deserved.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top