JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm looking at picking up a new bolt gun. I'm interested in starting to hunt again (only went several times as a small child) and I want to get something that'll be a decent starter/ all around rifle. Not budget but not so expensive I won't be able to afford ammo.

Undecided on cartridge still but wanting something that'll be good for deer and elk; .270, .308, 300wm, 7mm? Preferably a synthetic stock or easy enough to swap for a magpul. I'd like something fairly customizable. Threaded barrel is a plus as well. American Made.

What are some options that would fit this bill? Should I buy as something complete or buy bone stock and modify? I've built plenty of black rifles but outside of 10/22s and a 1903 Springfield 30-06 I used to own my experience is limited.

The hunters I've known all my life who bagged the most game had unpretentious rifles. Often they were a sporterized surplus WWII 30-06.

One of my best friends has a sporterized 06 and he's the best shot I've ever seen.

Being able to hunt and shoot are entirely removed from having a fancy rifle. My rifle is a bone stock 1970ish Ruger M77 in .270. "Tang safety." I've had it since new and know it well.

I see these young guys with their customized rifles and figure they've never even seen a deer.

Cheers.

easy enough to swap for a magpul.
If you use the as a criterion you are looking at Remington 700, Ruger American and Savage 110 with a .308 length/based cartridge, 7mm-08, 6.5 CM would be considerations. While they will get the job done, I'd rather something with a little more poop.

If I was to make American made a key buying point I'd lean toward a Winchester Model 70.

I recently bought a Savage Axis and was very surprised that it would put 5 shots in a 3/4" group easily and repeatably. This was with off the shelf Rem ammo.
You will be surprised at how little rifle it takes to hunt successfully.
The three rifles I hunt most with are a Win 94 in 30-30, a Mauser in 6.5x55, and the Axis in 223. If I were buying a new rifle now I would swap the 6.5 CM for the Mauser. Only because of all the new data and research that goes into the CM.
I used to hunt with 7mm Mag, and 300 Win Mag. But I gave the big kickers up after a couple shoulder surgerys. The truth is I have to get a little closer, But I don't take any less game! DR

Cartridges that I favor and have used for deer and elk :
.30-06
Of course there are others out there...but those listed work and have been around for a while...one reason being is that they work well for deer and elk.

Rifles , for the above I like ( in no particular order ) :
A well done vintage sporter of say a 03 , 1917 Enfield or 98 Mauser
Ruger model 77
Older Remington 700's
Pre-64 Winchester model 70's
Husqvarna Sporting Mauser Rifles
Again there are others out there...these are just the ones that I like .

With all that said...not sure if one can find a synthetic stock for all the above rifles..
Don't really care for 'em , myself...so I don't look at those options.
As for a threaded barrel...Our esteemed forum member @Velzey could do that for you , I am sure.
Andy

Last Edited:
Well, once again, @Andy54Hawken stole my thunder and made pretty much every point I was going to make. :s0162:

My only add would be my personal preference for the .270. I've been exclusively using a Winchester model 70 that I bought brand new in 1963 chambered in .270 and have been very successful with it. Over the past 57 years it's performed flawlessly on:
Elk
Deer
Bear
Cougar
Mountain Goat
Big Horn Sheep
Etc Etc Etc

Hunting vs LR are different in their needs.
The snarky response is, "get a 6.5 Creedmoor - it makes everyone a sniper!"

Current, US Made, to be found online or at stores: Savage, Ruger, Winchester, Browning, Christensen, Nosler. I wouldn't buy Remington until the dust settles, and they would have been lowest on my choice list anyway.
Savage is the best "bang for the buck" in value. Winchester or Browning are the higher end. Christensen and Nosler are nose-bleed.

Under $1K, I would look at Tikka, Howa/ Weatherby Vanguard, or Savage. Threaded barrel will make your cost higher, but you could look at Savage FCP/SR rifles, Ruger Precisions, Tikka or Howa tactical rifles. With the last three choices mentioned, the issue of a Magpul tupperware is moot.
Go to Cabelas, go to Sportsman's, go to local shops and sample every rifle that catches your eye. Shoulder it, sense it's carry-ability, find one that fits.

I think most ammo is BOHICA right now. I reload, so spending $1.75 per round of 308 is unimaginable to me.

Cartridges:
6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC, 6.5x55, 270, 270 WSM, 7mm-08, 280 AI, 7 Rem Mag, 308, 30-06, 300 WSM, 300 WM
Since you are concerned about ammo cost, I would focus on 6.5 CM, 6.5x55, 270, 308, or 30-06. I prefer 7mm-08 over 308 because it performs better out past 400 yards, but it would also be your most expensive ammo in the bunch.

OP where do you plan to hunt?

What kind of shape are you in?

Does recoil bother you?

Are you a road hunter or do you beat the brush?

What range do you limit yourself to in making a clean kill?

Point being there is more to hunting than just the gun so until enough info is gathered its difficult to recomend a firearm.

Not being one to wave the magic caliber brush of these do it all for you, it's better in my opinion that you pick what's right for you.

Buying what the next guy says is good gets expensive and may not work for you.

Good luck. :s0093:

Difficult time to decide to resume hunting. Ammo is still hard to find. There are lots of great calibers. Great questions above by LongWalk. So much depends on the above variables. .308 and .30-06 will kill just about anything although some of us prefer .270. If you are not expecting cross-canyon shots, .243 is a sweet and capable option. My 6.8 keeps scoring.

Hunt on!! We love organic meat!

Some good ideas here on just checking out every rifle that catches your eye...be it a friend's rifle , one at a store or gun show.

Muzzle loaders , my favorite firearms ain't for everyone...but I shoot and hunt well with them.
Does that mean that they are the end all . be all of firearms...nope.
It does mean that I like 'em...and use 'em to shoot and hunt with.

As it goes with modern firearms...
Everyone has favorites...but not everyone's favorites need to be or will be yours.

As as noted...where and how you hunt will play a role in what rifle will work for you.

Also worth considering is just how well you shoot that rifle under hunting conditions.
Conditions like :
Poor lighting...
When you are cold , wet , tired , hungry and after carrying that rifle around all day...
Off the bench , off hand or using a improvised field rest...
Practice shooting like you would while hunting.
Andy

I wasn't looking for any one to pick my rifle or choose my caliber. I was simply looking for input on why I should look into or steer away from certain brands/ models/ calibers. I'm also not overly concerned with ammo prices as a few hundred rounds should be plenty to sight in, get comfortable, and hunt with.

As for the long range aspect of it I was merely referring to being able to reach out and touch something 500-800yrds.

savage 10/110. "the definition of accuracy" ;)

i like'm i got into mine for $400. taken lots of game with it. eventually did a threaded barrel swap so i can run my can.

Pick a caliber you might want and research the energy it has at 800 yards, is there enough for a clean kill of the animal you are hunting?

Last Edited:
Cartridges that I favor and have used for deer and elk :
.30-06
Of course there are others out there...but those listed work and have been around for a while...one reason being is that they work well for deer and elk.
Well color me surprised. I would have swore you would have said a .74 round lead ball or maybe even a homemade obsidian arrowhead ;)

Well color me surprised. I would have swore you would have said a .74 round lead ball or maybe even a homemade obsidian arrowhead ;)
Well while a .74 round ball will do the trick for sure...I favor the .530 round ball from my Hawken rifle.
And a obsidian arrowhead does wonders and has worked for centuries...it may not be legal for use.
:D
Andy

Tikka. 300wm. High end glass. Although 300wm may be overkill on deer.

I wasn't looking for any one to pick my rifle or choose my caliber. I was simply looking for input on why I should look into or steer away from certain brands/ models/ calibers. I'm also not overly concerned with ammo prices as a few hundred rounds should be plenty to sight in, get comfortable, and hunt with.

As for the long range aspect of it I was merely referring to being able to reach out and touch something 500-800yrds.
Who do you know who's ever killed a deer at 800 yards? Who do you know who can shoot that well regardless of equipment? Heart pumps a little faster when you have a deer or elk in your sights.

I mentioned a friend who's the best shot I've ever seen. We were deer hunting and a coyote walked over the crest of a rise 400 yards out there. My friend raised up his plain jane sporterized WWII '06 and rolled it down the hill. One shot.

I can't do that. Don't know anyone else who can.

To be a successful hunter you need a beat up old pickup, a basic good quality rifle in any of the calibers mentioned here, and

EXPERIENCE.

Cheers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews