JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Winchester Model 70 30-06
You already have 30-06 in the house, why not stay in 30-06 ?
Screen-Shot-07-01-21-at-11-18-AM.png

Unless you are on a strict budget, life's too short to monkey with budget rifles.

Who do you know who's ever killed a deer at 800 yards? Who do you know who can shoot that well regardless of equipment? Heart pumps a little faster when you have a deer or elk in your sights.

I mentioned a friend who's the best shot I've ever seen. We were deer hunting and a coyote walked over the crest of a rise 400 yards out there. My friend raised up his plain jane sporterized WWII '06 and rolled it down the hill. One shot.

I can't do that. Don't know anyone else who can.

To be a successful hunter you need a beat up old pickup, a basic good quality rifle in any of the calibers mentioned here, and

EXPERIENCE.

Cheers.
To be fair. I have a couple family friends who have harvested animals at 600-800 yards. They are also extremely experienced in their craft. In no way am I saying the average joe should try and take that shot on a living animal.

The 800yrd shots are more for fun. Hence the LR rifle aspect. I'd like somewhat of a do all. I don't plan on bringing down game at that range but I would like to dabble in some longer range shooting. With work schedules I doubt I'll be able to participate in multiple seasons so having a fun range rifle would be a plus. Not including glass I'd like to be $1k or under.

I also don't need condescending responses either. Just because I'm not a hunter currently doesn't make me an inexperienced shooter or outdoorsman. I just want to get started into this now so when my children are old enough I can share it with them.

Thanks for all the constructive and helpful advice I've gotten in this thread thus far.

Here's one that comes in under your budget and has some nice features.

Howa 1500 action - same action used in Weatherby Vanguard
24" threaded barrel
.300 PRC available - more "headroom" for the long heavies preferred for long range shooting
H-S Precision stock

Screen-Shot-07-01-21-at-12-56-PM.png

Sorry....6.8 SPC II 110 gr AccuBond over 23 gr 4198. Would love to shoot the 6.8 Western. Had a .270WSM that was fun. If it is .277 I am drawn to it. Most of my big game has fallen to a plain old .270 Win with 140 gr pills.
Happy Hunting!

For all around, I would go with a Tikka T3X in 30-06 or 270 in stainless. They come with a good synthetic stock. Tikka does not make budget stuff. There rifles are made for hunting with smooth simple actions, mag fed, light and very accurate. Other manufactures have the same features but not with the all around quality.

I've haven't hunted big game in ages (mostly flying creatures) but I would choose a caliber adequate for the largest game you are going to hunt rather than the other way around. If you chose a caliber for deer, it maybe inadequate on elk at longer ranges. Calibers like 30-06 for elk can be loaded down for deer. There's also factory ammo like Core-Lok for deer. So, take it for what its worth.

Tikka T3x roughtech. Choose your caliber. It has a synthetic stock, fluted bolt and barrel, threaded barrel, crisp trigger. It has everything you're looking for and under a grand. Pair it with a quality base, mount/rings, and a nice piece of glass and you're set for long distance shooting and hunting. All you gotta do is pick the caliber. https://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-lite-roughtech only down fall is they are not as customizable as say a Remington 700 action.

Some good opinions in here. A rifle is only a tool. Getting a big-weiner magnum only helps if you can hit what you aim at every time. Missing is unethical when you hunt. Likewise, going smaller you also gotta hit what you're aiming at every time. Lost game is unethical.

I'd save up for two rifles if I was you. A .308 keeps your ammo more simple and is enough gun for both. If you don't shoot LR all the time you're not really shooting past 600 yards anyway. You can customize something when you're good and you know what you want.

Hunting gun is a hunting gun, and if you want an entry LR rig, someone mentioned Savage Axis. I had a LR Axis setup in .308 that was a 3/4" gun with federal gold match king factory load. I've got to really bring my part for my Ed Brown sniper rifle or Styer SSG to beat it and the cost=benefit is not there for either of them compared to the savage.

For hunting, those Meat Eater Weatherby rifles are a whole lot of gun for the money. Threaded barrel. Really great deal and I'm itching for one. I run a Tikka T3x superlite in .270 with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 because my dad taught me right and because it plain old works.

Tikka T3x roughtech. Choose your caliber. It has a synthetic stock, fluted bolt and barrel, threaded barrel, crisp trigger. It has everything you're looking for and under a grand. Pair it with a quality base, mount/rings, and a nice piece of glass and you're set for long distance shooting and hunting. All you gotta do is pick the caliber. https://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-lite-roughtech only down fall is they are not as customizable as say a Remington 700 action.
Browning Xbolt is in that range I can tell you they shoot great. Rough tech tika looks really good for the price too I see it in store and it really catch my eye. Looks really cozy and functional.

For all around, I would go with a Tikka T3X in 30-06 or 270 in stainless. They come with a good synthetic stock. Tikka does not make budget stuff. There rifles are made for hunting with smooth simple actions, mag fed, light and very accurate. Other manufactures have the same features but not with the all around quality.
The problem is the OP specified "American made", Tikka is not.

Well, once again, @Andy54Hawken stole my thunder and made pretty much every point I was going to make. :s0162:

My only add would be my personal preference for the .270. I've been exclusively using a Winchester model 70 that I bought brand new in 1963 chambered in .270 and have been very successful with it. Over the past 57 years it's performed flawlessly on:
Elk
Deer
Bear
Cougar
Mountain Goat
Big Horn Sheep
Etc Etc Etc
YUP, he sure does a good job at it don't he! ;)

Joking aside, a older Remington 721 in .270 or .30/06 would be an awesome score, same with the older Mod. 54 Winchester, both excellent all around rifles, well worth having, and usually at a decent price! I always will have a soft spot for the 1903 Springfield Sporters and Mauser 98's, both Iconic rifles, and can be found reasonably priced at most decent gun shops! Plenty of very good quality and un loved Sporters sitting in racks, forgotten, or worse, over looked by the masses wanting the newest, latest, greatest, gourmet, go fast cartridge to come along! Long live the Sporters! :s0155:

Browning Xbolt is in that range I can tell you they shoot great. Rough tech tika looks really good for the price too I see it in store and it really catch my eye. Looks really cozy and functional.
Agreed. I had a Browning Hells canyon long range in 6.5 creedmore for awhile. Great gun but I was not a fan of the side to side trigger play on the rifle I had.

My .270 Browning Medallion X-Bolt is 1MOA at 200 yards. It is experienced! Ha! 140 gr AccuBond over 54 gr RL-19. But really....pick a rifle that will do the deal and hunt with it a while.

Under $1K, I would look at Tikka, Howa/ Weatherby Vanguard, or Savage.
Thumbs up on this recommendation.

If you're looking for something at a higher price point, there are a number of options. Springfield Armory has come out with a surprising hunting rifle that may be worth a look - model 2020 Waypoint. New, so jury still out.

Enjoy the process!

I really like the Savage 110 series w/ the carbon wrapped barrel. I totally forgot about that waypoint. Both cost some sheckles but look like they have a lot of the features I'm looking for.

All my buddies say to go 300 wm on cartridge but isn't that a bit overkill for deer? It'd have to be a neck shot or it would ruin the meat I assume?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top