JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All other things being equal, standard velocity will be more accurate and also exhibit less wind drift than high velocity ammo.

It has to do with high velocity rounds transitioning through the trans-sonic range as their velocity decays.

I'll find links to the technical explainations if wanted ... it will be next week though as I'm on the road presently.
I'd like to see that.

Kinda scary, DLS, but that actually makes sense. Happens with airplanes, so why not bullets too? Let's get "scientifical..."

Temperature affects the speed of sound traveling though air (most typically at different altitudes in aviation).

Sea level 59 °F: 761mph/661knots
Cruising altitude of commercial jets −70 °F: 660mph/573knots

So, in theory, a SV or LV projectile that is just barely subsonic on a warm day would simply proceed on its merry, accurate way, never slowing from super- to subsonic.

But on an icy cold day (where the speed of sound occurs at a slower speed), the same speed projectile might exit the barrel at a slightly supersonic velocity and make a little sonic boom ("crack!"). Then experience buffeting (which can affect accuracy) as it slows to subsonic en route to the target.

Something else to rattle around in my beady little brain if certain 22s seem louder/quieter on cold winter days. Especially with a suppressor, which merely muffles gasses blowing from the barrel. Add in cold fingers (or gloves) and breeze, and I now have a perfectly logical excuse to shoot sloppy, raggedy-edged groups in the winter and claim that I'm better in the summer.

What the hell... that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
So HYPER velocity rounds might not fall into that same scenario, at least out to 100+ yards it would seem.

I've been Shooting and really enjoying CCI SV for many years. I've even been to the Factory and we had a pretty complete tour. I will have to say that I get even better groups with their Green Tag which is as good or better than most of the really pricey stuff out there. As for the, Aguila, it's always been dirtier than the CCI and isn't always cheaper for me to buy. I've always been taught that the whole idea behind Shooting is being able to Hit the Target and doing it with the first shot is also best. So, I'll be sticking with CCI.;););)

I shoot the CCI SV out of a suppressed pistol (amphibian) and a 10/22 target with a can and have rarely had them go super sonic. That threshold is approx. 1120 fps at 70 degree at sea level and changes a little depending on conditions. HV ammo (.22) slow down very quickly and you can expect them to cross back into the subsonic world between 80-95 yards. Hope that helps.

I've got some CCI 1000 fps and 700 fps that are accurate enough at 50' from revolvers; they simply don't have enough recoil to reliably operate any of my auto pistols.

Someday I may have the luxury of a nice bolt 22....

Very familiar with CCI Standard Velocity 40gr lead round nose ammo, and I like it a lot. It's the most consistently accurate .22 ammo I've shot so far in various pistols. I have a few thousand rounds stored up from before, but I'm waiting/hoping to see the price come down a bit more now that the ammo faucet is finally trickling again.

During the worst part of the shortage, I bought a few boxes of Aguila "Super Extra" Standard Velocity 40gr round nose ammo and figured I'd try that too. But I haven't yet.

It'll probably be awhile before I can get out and compare the two brands objectively since it's damn cold lately and usually breezy too. Hardly ideal conditions for trying to put multiple pistol rounds through the same hole at any distance.

Thanks in advance for sharing your observations.

View attachment 413117
Been buying the CCI at WalMart recently since they have excellent price on it and have it in stock now most of the time with no limits on purchase amounts.

One detractor on the Aguila is that it seems to come with a lot of waxy/sticky lube on it. In colder weather it will not feed through a Mcfadden Lightnin' grip loader, and if your semi auto is not scrupulously maintained, it may not feed in the gun. Other than that, works fine.

I ran some non-scientific tests on Aguila and CCs when seeing which would run best in a couple of 22's I have; one and Berretta another a SW. The CCs seemed to perform much better in the cycling area. Another note, and I didn't check on the Aquila extensively, but did find them to foul up barrels more readily, I think due to the lead bullet, whereas the CCs were brass coated and didn't leave as much residue behind. I don't mind cleaning my guns, but prefer less work almost anywhere:D.

I've got some CCI 1000 fps and 700 fps that are accurate enough at 50' from revolvers; they simply don't have enough recoil to reliably operate any of my auto pistols.

Someday I may have the luxury of a nice bolt 22....
That's been in the back of my mind as I occasionally stumble over subsonic ammo. Will it even feed? Sounds like no.

Why the concern with standard velocity, I thought those went out with the Mini-Mags years ago? OK I can see it for use with the cans but why else? I don't use a suppressor but when wanting to be discreet there are the shorts and CB caps. Otherwise the high velocity stuff works for me... Not meaning to troll, am curious. Tho I have a selection of .22 cal pistols and revolvers, I shoot the same rifle I did as a 14 y.o. kid.. Thanks, Dun
Some rifles like std velocity best. I have a savage Mk II that drops group size by half with cci standard velocity. The speed of sound at sea level is 1100fps so when you approach that, the bullet destabilizes somewhat. For target shooting just being under that helps out. Standard velocity I believe is 1040fps.

0 kelvin or centergrade? Was the hydrogen in the already frozen air falling like snowflakes? You are going to need some major fluffy clothes.

the hydrogen dioxide flakes were stacking up such that I could barely hack a path to the target with a fire axe...as miserable a range day as I could hardly survive much less enjoy. Left my '22 shorts' at home and about used up the '22 fluffies'............

Why the concern with standard velocity, I thought those went out with the Mini-Mags years ago? OK I can see it for use with the cans but why else? I don't use a suppressor but when wanting to be discreet there are the shorts and CB caps. Otherwise the high velocity stuff works for me... Not meaning to troll, am curious. Tho I have a selection of .22 cal pistols and revolvers, I shoot the same rifle I did as a 14 y.o. kid.. Thanks, Dun

Another thing, if you have an older High Standard semi-auto pistol, you should only feed it SV's. There's a cut-out in the frame for the slide lock, if fed a steady diet of HV's, it can crack the frame. It also tends to hammer the heck out of the slide stop. Like most semi's, it won't cycle sub-sonic ammo, at least, mine doesn't.

On a related note, the CCI Quiet is just that, very quiet, I've had air rifles that made more noise. Of course, they also had more energy, so what can you expect :rolleyes:? Later.

Dave

the trend I read on the 22-for-accuracy-sites seem to argue about the relative accuracy of the SV vs the HV rounds.

I don't do formal 22 competition these days, but with the SV rounds in anything I use them in, seems to yield smaller groups regardless of platform.

My HS vintage Citation is being shielded from the harsh reality of HV ammo as well.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews