JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Very familiar with CCI Standard Velocity 40gr lead round nose ammo, and I like it a lot. It's the most consistently accurate .22 ammo I've shot so far in various pistols. I have a few thousand rounds stored up from before, but I'm waiting/hoping to see the price come down a bit more now that the ammo faucet is finally trickling again.

During the worst part of the shortage, I bought a few boxes of Aguila "Super Extra" Standard Velocity 40gr round nose ammo and figured I'd try that too. But I haven't yet.

It'll probably be awhile before I can get out and compare the two brands objectively since it's damn cold lately and usually breezy too. Hardly ideal conditions for trying to put multiple pistol rounds through the same hole at any distance.

Thanks in advance for sharing your observations.

standard velocity.JPG

Last Edited:
I have had decent luck with the Aguila Standard Velocity. CCI Standard Velocity has always been my preferred low-cost standard velocity plinking round, but was hard to find for a few years during the shortage. In its absence, I started buying the Agulia SV when it was available reasonably. While I still prefer CCI, I am pleased with the Aguila for around $20/brick. Seems to be a little faster MV than the CCI as I recall based on published data (I haven't shot it across a chronograph), but it functions reliably and is reasonably accurate compared to inexpensive bulk HV ammo of late (much of this has gone downhill in my experience). Don't recall if it goes supersonic in any of my rifles, but fairly quiet with no sonic crack when using suppressor on handguns in my experience.

I have had decent luck with the Aguila Standard Velocity. CCI Standard Velocity has always been my preferred low-cost standard velocity plinking round, but was hard to find for a few years during the shortage. In its absence, I started buying the Agulia SV when it was available reasonably. While I still prefer CCI, I am pleased with the Aguila for around $20/brick. Seems to be a little faster MV than the CCI as I recall based on published data (I haven't shot it across a chronograph), but it functions reliably and is reasonably accurate compared to inexpensive bulk HV ammo of late (much of this has gone downhill in my experience). Don't recall if it goes supersonic in any of my rifles, but fairly quiet with no sonic crack when using suppressor on handguns in my experience.
I found that SV CCI was still loud indoors even with a suppressor on a pistol because of the echo. And the one time I tried it with the can on my rifle outdoors I was wearing earmuffs because of the .308 and 30-06 flanking me.

Looking forward to a weekday morning alone at Wolf Creek to A:B the different combinations of brands, weps, accuracy, etc.

I have shot both extensively and found the cci standard vel to be a bit more accurate and slightly cleaner. Both cycle well in my 10-22 suppressed and non suppressed. In my cmmg ar22 upper the cci standard feeds a bit more reliably both suppressed and non. For the money the Aguila is a good value but for me the cci is still the gold standard. Btw the pic shows "quiet" cci ammo not standard velocity. It will not cycle a semi auto as it is only going around 750 fps.

I found that SV CCI was still loud indoors even with a suppressor on a pistol because of the echo. And the one time I tried it with the can on my rifle outdoors I was wearing earmuffs because of the .308 and 30-06 flanking me.

Looking forward to a weekday morning alone at Wolf Creek to A:B the different combinations of brands, weps, accuracy, etc.

My testing is far from exhaustive and I too would like to get some range time to evaluate them both side to side under good conditions for evaluating accuracy and noise with suppressor on both handguns and rifles. Unfortunately that kind of time and conditions is hard to come by for me these days!

I have run both through my rifles, and both seem very consistent. I have two heavy barrel rifles of 23 inches length, and both are pretty quiet considdering. Accuracy is pretty good out to 50 meters, both print 1/2 in groups pretty consistantly which is pretty good. I usually run the Fed. Gold Match through both rifles, and the CCI and the Aguila are pretty close. About the only better is TenX and Elley match, and for the price of those, I stick with the CCI and now the new Aguila.

Why the concern with standard velocity, I thought those went out with the Mini-Mags years ago? OK I can see it for use with the cans but why else? I don't use a suppressor but when wanting to be discreet there are the shorts and CB caps. Otherwise the high velocity stuff works for me... Not meaning to troll, am curious. Tho I have a selection of .22 cal pistols and revolvers, I shoot the same rifle I did as a 14 y.o. kid.. Thanks, Dun

I find they are both more accurate and quiet out of a long gun than many higher velocity loads. Cci standard velocity has accounted for many grouse out of my 22 rifles and pistols. I have not had very good accuracy results with cb caps or shorts.

theyre equally as quiet out of my 10/22 with my suppressor. POI doesnt shift much for me between the two. aguila was all i could find for a while. was skeptical at first but i continue to buy it as needed

. Btw the pic shows "quiet" cci ammo not standard velocity. It will not cycle a semi auto as it is only going around 750 fps.

good catch, I was going to mention that.....my High Standards have extreme trouble with the 1050-1100 fps stuff as the slide/feed cycle is compromised with not quite enough vigorish to get the job done;

in my revos it doesn't matter in the same way, of course; still it is rare to see any subsonic 22LR in my 'hunt & buy' zone.

CCI does well generally in anything I use it in.

Why the concern with standard velocity, I thought those went out with the Mini-Mags years ago? OK I can see it for use with the cans but why else? I don't use a suppressor but when wanting to be discreet there are the shorts and CB caps. Otherwise the high velocity stuff works for me... Not meaning to troll, am curious. Tho I have a selection of .22 cal pistols and revolvers, I shoot the same rifle I did as a 14 y.o. kid.. Thanks, Dun
That's a fair question, Dun. And I certainly don't perceive it as trolling.

Shooting with an H&R revolver, two Ruger semi-autos (friend's Beretta and S&W too), three different rifles and a '52 Woodsman, my groups with CCI SV are consistently half the size of the best I can squeeze out with any brand of HV ammo.

Trust me, I'm prideful enough to enjoy making cheap guitars and motorcycles outperform far more expensive gear. So the idea of shooting really tight groups with any old ammo out there is appealing too. But alas, the only stuff that gives me noticeably smaller groups (everything touching) is the more expensive CCI Standard Velocity. I'm just glad it's appearing in stores again, including Walmart.

I've seen numerous bricks of Aguila SV .22 lately, too, but I passed because I haven't yet tested a couple 50-round boxes I got last summer. The intrigue is that it's typically cheaper than CCI SV and I'm starting to see it everywhere. Hence my questions about how it stacks up to my favorite. If everyone here said it was crap, I wouldn't be so curious.

The velocity itself (SV, HV & Super HV) doesn't really matter to me, at least so far. It's just those small groups I'm after. But I do suspect the lower velocity might be pretty close to subsonic (at least through a pistol) and pretty darn quiet, too. I'm dying to try it outdoors and suppressed as soon as I can get out to shoot in halfway decent conditions.

Good question. I'll keep reading here to see what others report and weigh back in with what I learn after I bundle up and go pop a few rounds.

Last Edited:
Why the concern with standard velocity ...

All other things being equal, standard velocity will be more accurate and also exhibit less wind drift than high velocity ammo.

It has to do with high velocity rounds transitioning through the trans-sonic range as their velocity decays.

I'll find links to the technical explainations if wanted ... it will be next week though as I'm on the road presently.

Kinda scary, DLS, but that actually makes sense. Happens with airplanes, so why not bullets too? Let's get "scientifical..."

Temperature affects the speed of sound traveling though air (most typically at different altitudes in aviation).

Sea level 59 °F: 761mph/661knots
Cruising altitude of commercial jets −70 °F: 660mph/573knots

So, in theory, a SV or LV projectile that is just barely subsonic on a warm day would simply proceed on its merry, accurate way, never slowing from super- to subsonic.

But on an icy cold day (where the speed of sound occurs at a slower speed), the same speed projectile might exit the barrel at a slightly supersonic velocity and make a little sonic boom ("crack!"). Then experience buffeting (which can affect accuracy) as it slows to subsonic en route to the target.

Something else to rattle around in my beady little brain if certain 22s seem louder/quieter on cold winter days. Especially with a suppressor, which merely muffles gasses blowing from the barrel. Add in cold fingers (or gloves) and breeze, and I now have a perfectly logical excuse to shoot sloppy, raggedy-edged groups in the winter and claim that I'm better in the summer.

What the hell... that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Last Edited:
But on an icy cold day (where the speed of sound occurs at a slower speed), the same speed projectile might exit the barrel at a slightly supersonic velocity and make a little sonic boom ("crack!"). Then experience buffeting (which can affect accuracy) as it slows to subsonic en route to the target.

nifty explanation for why last week when the range temp was approaching 0 degrees Kelvin I wasn't able to hit the end of the bay let alone my POA!!!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews