JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last time I played around with a revolver in this caliber, the standard load was a 158 gr. LRN. Dating myself, huh? So what is most common now, for both target .38 Spec. loads, and more serious Magnum loadings? If anyone wants to share a pet load or two, that would be cool, also, thanks.

Dave

one of my favorite plinking/steel loads is 130g LRNFP at around 1100fps with a variety of powders serving the purpose;

if paper group study is of interest, I just recently discovered the amazing 147g DEWC; there's LRN 125/158 that all work just as well as the old 158 LSWC. No poly coating, just plain lead works very well even in this era.;)

I rarely load or shoot the Magnum recipes.

This round, out of that 5" revolver, is a good one for taking deer.

9974F47E-BA09-443B-9184-E066C760C396.jpeg

ABD133B0-6151-4BBF-967E-DB49A6AEA99F.jpeg

Thanks, guys, good info. I don't hunt, and if I did, I probably wouldn't use a handgun. So this will mostly be a range toy, and I'll mostly likely shoot mostly .38 Specials.

Which brings up another question. I've heard that a steady diet of .38s in a Magnum can carbon up the cylinder enough to make loading magnums difficult to impossible. Is this true, and if so, would there be any reason not to standardize on magnum brass and just load it down? Thanks.

Dave

Last time I played around with a revolver in this caliber, the standard load was a 158 gr. LRN. Dating myself, huh? So what is most common now, for both target .38 Spec. loads, and more serious Magnum loadings? If anyone wants to share a pet load or two, that would be cool, also, thanks.

Dave

I shoot my .357 magnum rarely any more but when I did I tended to use 38 special rounds more than 357 magnum rounds since they were cheaper. I have 158gr Speer Gold Dot and also have 135gr 38 special. I tend to favor 125gr 357 magnum rounds. Never had much issue shooting 38 special rounds but kept the cylinders pretty clean.

When I first got my 357 more than 30 years ago I would shoot semi-wad cutters.

Thanks, guys, good info. I don't hunt, and if I did, I probably wouldn't use a handgun. So this will mostly be a range toy, and I'll mostly likely shoot mostly .38 Specials.

Which brings up another question. I've heard that a steady diet of .38s in a Magnum can carbon up the cylinder enough to make loading magnums difficult to impossible. Is this true, and if so, would there be any reason not to standardize on magnum brass and just load it down? Thanks.

Dave

Assuming you are rolling your own? If so yes just use .357 cases. To make it a "problem" using .38 you would have to go with zero care of the gun for a long time. If you just want fun / play, lead rounds in whatever is cheapest to buy in bulk. For defense I would just buy factory these days as it's so plentiful. My choice was always the 125 SJHP. In actual shootings this round had more success than even the .45. Unless you are getting into some kind of "serious" target game I doubt you will find enough difference in going with some kind of WC loads. The gun you are loading for is great for economy. Brass will last for a VERY long time. You can roll ammo for this for about what a .22 costs. Pound of something like (my favorite) W231 will make a enough ammo to have you having fun for a LONG time.

Dave
.357 - 158 gr. jacketed bullet (either solid or hollow)
.38 - 158 gr. LRN

I've always wondered how Skeeter Skelton's pet .44 special load would work in a .38 special or a .357 magnum, with a 180 gr. LSWC, possibly gas checked.
might be worth experimenting with...jus' sayin'...

I have four .38's and one .357. At the moment I am shooting the .38 Spl model 64 DAO. It was inexpensive. Hitting half gallon jugs at 47 yards with 125 grain Berry's.

having 'good enough' accuracy with some 130gr cast conical flat points @ 1030fps with Universal powder. Especially favor this configuration as it slides easily into the 8 shot 627 when moon-clip loaded. Not a Big Deal when reloading time is not on the clock, yet the accuracy is very much adequate for such as the normal range of 'speed steel' targets.

I typically buy 158 semi wad cutters. Usually the plastic coated variety. They go in front of Unique as I have a 8 pound jug of the stuff. I shoot for subsonic 38s with the 158s as I primarily shoot them through a lever gun and a suppressor.

My favorite was,, Rem 140 gr scalloped HP fast and expanded.
I still have lots of 'em I orig bought 500.
Prob. In the mid-80's or in the early90's ???
Old loading books (Speer ?) have load data for that weight.

Edit: Prob. Blue Dot

Howard, i have a 5,GP100 too. Great revolver, i have owned many great ones over the years, pythons 686s 19s all of them.
If had to choose 1 revolver as a gun to bet my life on it would be a GP100 stoked with 160 to 180 grain Hard cast semi wadcutters.
i am bout to post on the 10mm GP100,

I typically buy 158 semi wad cutters. Usually the plastic coated variety. They go in front of Unique as I have a 8 pound jug of the stuff. I shoot for subsonic 38s with the 158s as I primarily shoot them through a lever gun and a suppressor.
You ever try 7.5 grains behind any of those SWC's?
Just wondering how it works in .38 special.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top