JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a couple hundred 45 acp 230 gr Gold Dots I'd like to load with SR 4756 but my Speer manual doesn't list the powder and IMR doesn't specifically list Gold Dots. They are plated so I know the charge will be a bit lower than for a jacketed bullet I'm just not sure how low I should start. I've been using 6.5 grains with Hornady XTP with good results in my 1911 and XD. From IMR's data the range for a FMJ is 6.4-7.0 and for a LRN it is 6.3-6.8.

Would I be safe starting at 6.3?

Thanks,

Dave

I've been loading the GDHP's in 9mm for several years and just use the "Jacketed" data. Have found no issues whatever. Ther "plating" is stronger than the typical plated bullets that require "lead" data. I push the GDHP's at MAX and have no issues with pressure or barrel fouling. If you start at the low end for the FMJ you should be home free. As usual watch for the development of "issues" as you work up. That GDHP bullet is a great bullet for my money. Accurate as heck form my 9mm's.

Thanks for the replies. I've run a couple of factory boxes through my nightstand gun with no issues but I'd like to put a couple hundred through it to be sure they are reliable. Of course I'm assuming that if my reloads function properly then I shouldn't have any issues with factory rounds.

Went to the range today with 20 rounds; 5 apiece at 6.3, 6.4, 6.5, and 6.6. No signs of pressure and everything cycled good.

Keep in mind this is cool weather (especially if it's an outdoor range), but even an indoor range that is not exactly going to be your car in summer) and that the pressure can rise dramatically when hot.. never load to a cold weather max load unless you live in the arctic

Keep in mind this is cool weather (especially if it's an outdoor range), but even an indoor range that is not exactly going to be your car in summer) and that the pressure can rise dramatically when hot.. never load to a cold weather max load unless you live in the arctic

This isn't going to be quite the same problem in a pistol with small charge volumes like this as it would be in a rifle cartridge. Only time it might be an issue is if the load was absolutely up at the maximum per pressure signs and was developed when it was too darn cold to be shooting to begin with:)

Also consider that the published loads all have a "lawyer factor" included.

This isn't going to be quite the same problem in a pistol with small charge volumes like this as it would be in a rifle cartridge. Only time it might be an issue is if the load was absolutely up at the maximum per pressure signs and was developed when it was too darn cold to be shooting to begin with:)

Also consider that the published loads all have a "lawyer factor" included.

Depends on your definition of max charge.. better to be safe than sorry

Yes, that is part of how they decide those weights. However recently we have been warned to back off older loading data for Blue Dot, for instance

This is the primary reason I prefer to use online data to start a load workup rather than Flea Market, Garage Sale, or Gun Show data books. Unlike those old relics, the online data from the powder manufacturers is updated. Much of the data published years ago is outdated as the current production powders are "improved". That "improvement" can go both ways, increased or decreased performance. Besides, I don't have to have as much shelf space for books. Just a computer. Heck, the way things are going, a picket sized Smart Phone can give you access to more current data than a whole wall full of old books. Makes it easy to store the data you work up for your loads as they perform in your firearms which in the end is all that matters.

This is the primary reason I prefer to use online data to start a load workup rather than Flea Market, Garage Sale, or Gun Show data books. Unlike those old relics, the online data from the powder manufacturers is updated. Much of the data published years ago is outdated as the current production powders are "improved". That "improvement" can go both ways, increased or decreased performance. Besides, I don't have to have as much shelf space for books. Just a computer. Heck, the way things are going, a picket sized Smart Phone can give you access to more current data than a whole wall full of old books. Makes it easy to store the data you work up for your loads as they perform in your firearms which in the end is all that matters.

Also starting at the lower end and working your way up with ANY powder is essential. I recently was given several jars of powder outside the original cannisters.. fortunately they are things like Hercules Green Dot which are obvious.. but I will start low with them, and work up, anyway. Safety, always

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top