JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think you made a grand pick!
My opine for most versatility and best over life investment, is a sturdy three legged camera sort with a foot of crank up elevation, pan and tilt (two directions) top that will go at the very least 60 inches minimum, better 65 and collapses to about 18 like the heavier type used for the old VCR cameras, but make sure they are for 1/4-20 thread not 3/8ths.
Taller up to where the legs spread the sturdier they'll stand. Mine too has the weight hook at the bottom but I've never used it
Any scope past 20mm starts getting hard to hand hold for detail work let alone 60mm, so need a sturdy stand.
A good tripod can be used for other positive things throughout your life;
I took a 1" wide flat bar about 1/8 thick and six inches long and formed a flat bottom V in my vise, then drilled a 1/4 -20 hole in the middle of that flat bottom for tripod mounting where the camera would go. Stitched on wet and stretched leather over it and let shrink dry to use as a rifle a rifle rest placed just in front of my table. I've also used it as a standing rifle and pistol rest. you'll have a great tripod for camera, spotting scope, and especially handy trying to adjust a Chronograph height and angle.
Because my back is not so good, I also made a little eight inch square X 3/8 plywood table top (with a thin lip on its edges to keep thing from rolling off) with a steel 3/16" fender washer center screwed to it and tapped for 1/4-20 to use as a small 24" to 65" elevate-able table to hold a few boxes of shot shell so I don't have to bend over while shooting clays plus it compresses down to less than 18 inches when legs folded out to use as a camp table by my chair for coffee.
I've clamped an umbrella on to it one day to shade my wife who was starting to get flushed from too much sun. (thankfully it wasn't windy) as she read while patiently waiting for me to finish shooting one shade less tree hot day at the range. I mounted lighting to it for working on my boat in the evening outside, Held up the end of a sagging tent during a six hour downpour,plus other things long forgotten it has come in handy for.
Some may be rock steady, but I could never get by, trying hand holding a good spotting scope with a gun stock or even binoculars much over 8 to see pin holes 100 wards plus away. Even my 6-12X scope on 12 needs a tree limb or something to rest on to see detail stop moving.
I suppose a stock with a bipod on it would work, but then you'd have a tripod!

Now that I dissed camera tripods, I will say that the Manfrotto's are very hard to beat. I have had a couple in the past and they not only are top notch, they hold pretty good resale value, much like most quality camera equipment.
I got mine used along with a classic Bosch & Lomb spotting scope for $50, so good to know. :)

I think you made a grand pick!
My opine for most versatility and best over life investment, is a sturdy three legged camera sort with a foot of crank up elevation, pan and tilt (two directions) top that will go at the very least 60 inches minimum, better 65 and collapses to about 18 like the heavier type used for the old VCR cameras, but make sure they are for 1/4-20 thread not 3/8ths.
Taller up to where the legs spread the sturdier they'll stand. Mine too has the weight hook at the bottom but I've never used it
Any scope past 20mm starts getting hard to hand hold for detail work let alone 60mm, so need a sturdy stand.
A good tripod can be used for other positive things throughout your life;
I took a 1" wide flat bar about 1/8 thick and six inches long and formed a flat bottom V in my vise, then drilled a 1/4 -20 hole in the middle of that flat bottom for tripod mounting where the camera would go. Stitched on wet and stretched leather over it and let shrink dry to use as a rifle a rifle rest placed just in front of my table. I've also used it as a standing rifle and pistol rest. you'll have a great tripod for camera, spotting scope, and especially handy trying to adjust a Chronograph height and angle.
Because my back is not so good, I also made a little eight inch square X 3/8 plywood table top (with a thin lip on its edges to keep thing from rolling off) with a steel 3/16" fender washer center screwed to it and tapped for 1/4-20 to use as a small 24" to 65" elevate-able table to hold a few boxes of shot shell so I don't have to bend over while shooting clays plus it compresses down to less than 18 inches when legs folded out to use as a camp table by my chair for coffee.
I've clamped an umbrella on to it one day to shade my wife who was starting to get flushed from too much sun. (thankfully it wasn't windy) as she read while patiently waiting for me to finish shooting one shade less tree hot day at the range. I mounted lighting to it for working on my boat in the evening outside, Held up the end of a sagging tent during a six hour downpour,plus other things long forgotten it has come in handy for.
Some may be rock steady, but I could never get by, trying hand holding a good spotting scope with a gun stock or even binoculars much over 8 to see pin holes 100 wards plus away. Even my 6-12X scope on 12 needs a tree limb or something to rest on to see detail stop moving.
I suppose a stock with a bipod on it would work, but then you'd have a tripod!
I've used mine with a tablet mount to video my golf swing, an overhead mount for an infrared heater and as an umbrella holder during shooting events. Oh, and I mounted an actual camera on it once too. ;)

Not sure what your really looking for, and if just shooting range stuff is the goal you can probably disregard this suggestion, but I splurged and got an outdoorsman's medium tripod and micro pan head for spotting game on wide open praries and large hillsides. I would strongly suggest anyone looking to at least think about if splurging on one is an option. I love mine and will very likely never by another tripod.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top