JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

Curious about what tripods y'all are running for your spotting scopes? I recently picked up the 11-33 vortex. It's a monster in a tiny package... interested to see what y'all recommend espically for a small spotting scope.

agree with KKG, quality tripod increases the pleasure of using the entire set up. And get a decent tripod case with a shoulder strap.

I paired a Bogen (don't have the model # handy) with the extra trigger grip to help aim my 80mm Swarovski about 30 years ago. It's worked without flaw way longer than I ever thought possible.

Pay attention to the details of how the legs extend as some models are way easier than others.

The mount is rather similar to the squeeze cock device of HK 9mm fame.

Basically just buy a quality tripod of the sort you would use for good camera work. I use a manfrotto, it has a quick release mount that uses square plates, I have a plate on my spotting scope and my chronograph so it's easy to mount either. I really need to buy another so I can use both simultaneously...

The following is my opinion, based on experience and observation. It may have no validity or basis in fact (meaning, my head is up my arse.)

Tripods are something where the adage "you get what you pay for" is accurate with few exceptions.
That said, I have ~6 tripods from Goodwill / St Vincent De Paul, three of which are outstanding, each for less than $10. The good ones each had something I needed to fix. In addition, I have also had to use isolation tables over the years for laser equipment and high res microscopes. I bring that up because it's relevant to optics.

Things you want to look for in a tripod:
  • Heft. Mass makes a huge difference in the stabilization of your image. Heavy stuff isn't easily affected by wind/vibration, etc.
  • Adjustability : A good tripods give at least 6 way adjustability at the head. My favorite has 8-way adjustments.
  • Smooth action : the better the tripod, the higher quality the adjustment action is. For example, I have one where the elevator adjustment crank moves it up or down by ~1/2 inch per revolution. On a much cheaper one, one rev equals approx 2" of travel.
  • Good friction adjustments : You shouldn't have to reef down on the tightening screw to make a tripod stay. Good ones allow you to tighten the tripod with little pressure, where you can still move a little, and then easily lock it down with only applying a little more pressure / torque. And then, while your tripod is partly tightened down, moving the adjustments should not result in the legs torquing/flexing.
  • Rigidity : The tripod shouldn't exhibit flexibility. If you tighten everything down and then push on the tripod, you shouldn't see flex or bending.
  • Easy mounting : Secure, firm quick attach/detach is best. Few have this down well. In many tripods, I have seen that the puck used here is the cheesiest part of the tripod, yet an extremely important one. On my two favorite tripods, I have a captive 14-20 screw with a tensioning butterfly nut. Simple, easy to attach, effective.
  • Center Yoke : the yoke that folds out as the tripod is opened MUST be quality. It is the cornerstone of the stability. If it's flimsy, it's like holding the tripod together with string. It may work well at first, think about it in 3 years.
  • Machined pins / screws : of my best three, two are held together by machine screws (as opposed to sheet metal / pan head screws). One is held together by machined pins (i.e. takedown pins). Because of this, I can maintain them all.
  • No Plastic. It's that simple.
On the three tripods I use, when a magnum with a muzzle brake is fired, the unit isn't affected by the shockwave - i.e. my image doesn't shake. Not so on the cheesier ones.
They're all heavy, with the lightest one being ~4 lbs and the heaviest one being ~8 lbs.
Two of the three have adjustable foot pegs for standing on dirt / grass / soil. One has rubber feet. The adjustable pegs rock.

Last Edited:
I was actually in a photographic store - a Shutterbug as it happens - picking up a new SD card when I overheard this conversation between the store clerk [SC] and a prospective customer [PC] -

PC - My son tells me that my movies on Youtube are way too shaky and I should get a monopod to make them steadier.

SC - Great idea, Sir, how much do you want to spend? They go from around $25 way up to around $100, depending on the brand and what they are made of.

PC - Well. let's say go for the middle range, what have you got?

SC walks him over the the display and shows him a couple of monopods.

PC - So how exactly do they work? I've got a Canon camera - is the fitting the same for all of them?

SC - Yes, the fitting is universal - is that your camera? [PC nods and gets a spiffy DSLR out of his camera bag, and gives it to SC, who then fits it in about five seconds.] There you are, Sir [extends it and hands it to PC.]

PC looks at it, takes if from the SC, lowers his head to peer at the display, and then lets go of it.

Guess what happened next?

FILL IN WITH APPROPRIATE RESPONSE

SC, looking at the camera and monopod lying on the thankfully resilient flooring - WT*? Why did THAT happen? What holds it up?
Why did it fall over?

Friends, that's three unanswerable questions, right there.

I have the Ray Vin scope stand. Easy one adjustment knob. Adjustable height for shooting
prone and sitting. Tri-pods get in the way.

scopemount2.jpg

Last Edited:
You can add a weight (sand / lead) bag to many tripods. Mine has a "hook" at one end of the column for just this purpose. Use water if you need to pack in any distance.

See the hook in this image

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mzfort.com%2Fgallary_pic%2FBA0282-1.jpg

I have the Ray Vin scope stand. Easy one adjustment knob. Adjustable height for shooting
prone and sitting. Tri-pods get in the way.

View attachment 551043
I totally agree with ron on this! Camera tripods don't have a place on a gun range. What will end up happening is someone will trip over the splayed leg and down will go the scope. I've seen it several times. I've heard of it happening many more! Camera tripods take up far too large of a footprint, and interspersing this with shooting benches, gear bags etc. etc. creates a real mess when trying to move around.

A stand like ron shows (I have the same one and love it) are used almost exclusively by highpower, smallbore and air rifle competitors for a very good reason beyond safety of the scope. These type of stands allow you to move the scope in very close to your shooting mat or your bench. When properly positioned all you need to do is slightly tip your head off the gun and use your non-aiming eye to spot. Then slightly tip your head back to the rifle and shoot. No contortions, no messing up your positions and better quality shooting as a result.

Last Edited:
I think I better search for some second hand cheap tripod that I can salvage parts from to make a gun stock mounted spotting scope. Combined with a cheap bipod this rig is usable for most of my applications.

Now that I dissed camera tripods, I will say that the Manfrotto's are very hard to beat. I have had a couple in the past and they not only are top notch, they hold pretty good resale value, much like most quality camera equipment.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top