JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With my recent Heart problem it is recommended that I walk more. Right out of town here a shotgun range with a Sporting Clays circuit. I've played a lot of rifle and pistol games over the years and hunted with a shotgun but never really played the games. I'll start out using my BPS 12ga 28" Modified Choke Shotgun because that's what I've got. Anybody here done Sporting Clays? It looks to be a bunch of fun with a bunch of different target presentations to shoot at and a little walking thrown in. The local course is 14 stations spread out over a mile loop. Any advice?

It's a blast! My 2 older boys and I try to go once a month. I shoot a sbe2 for work so that's what I showed up with on day 1, I now have a over and under and improved my score from mid 80s to mid 90s. I would suggest getting a membership if they offer one, it will help keep the cost down. Take a friend so you can get a friendly comp going. Tournaments are fun too if they hold them there

It's a blast! My 2 older boys and I try to go once a month. I shoot a sbe2 for work so that's what I showed up with on day 1, I now have a over and under and improved my score from mid 80s to mid 90s. I would suggest getting a membership if they offer one, it will help keep the cost down. Take a friend so you can get a friendly comp going. Tournaments are fun too if they hold them there
I'm looking to get a membership but want take a how to lesson with my Browning first before I jump in with both feet. I do have my eye on a CZ Drake Southpaw if'n I want something other than my BPS.

I shot clays at Mid-valley for the first time this summer and think it's gonna be my new favorite thing. Been back 3 times now and i'm shooting better, and buying a sxs 20 gauge to use rather than my pump 12g for hunting.

I'm sure there's a lot of long time shooters here on the forum and they'll have good advice so i'll just say go for it and hope you heal up quick!

It is truly a humbling experience. I'm a fair hand at trap, but sporting clays was a whole new level. Would love to try it again but haven't had an opportunity. Any presentation you are unsure of ask for a demo. Timing; some stations throw the second clay at a given time delay, others are triggered by your first shot. Don't get frustrated, you will get better!!

Well I dropped the BPS off at my local gunsmith to give it a once over and slick the action up. Once in a while the slide will have a slight ketch when trying to work it fast. We'll see how it works after that. I do have my eye on a CZ Drake Southpaw but I'm even more attracted to the left handed Beretta semi-auto.

Well I dropped the BPS off at my local gunsmith to give it a once over and slick the action up. Once in a while the slide will have a slight ketch when trying to work it fast. We'll see how it works after that. I do have my eye on a CZ Drake Southpaw but I'm even more attracted to the left handed Beretta semi-auto.
Take a look at the old ruger red lables. I picked mine up for cheap off the classifieds here. Great shooting guns

It is truly a humbling experience.
LOL. I'm pretty much "All World" when it comes to shooting off a logging landing with someone tossing clays by hand or using one of those cheap tire-mounted throwers. I had never shot 5-stand before, but there was a 3-D archery shoot at a local gun club and they advertised to "bring your shotgun" for some 5-stand. Well, I stood there with my Browning Citori next to a bunch of YHEC (Youth Hunter Education Challenge) kids and their old pump action shotguns. Talk about humbling. Those clay birds were coming from over me, behind me, above and below me. It was a far cry from picking off those easy clays from the landing. Those YHEC kids with their old pumps were breaking twice as many clays as me.

As for Sporting Clays, a friend and I always talked a lot about doing that. I think there was a course up around Philomath (my friend lives in Corvallis) and I don't know if it is even still there. We never did get around to doing it. Sure sounded like fun.

Last Edited:
Learning from what you are doing correctly...is not the same lesson you will learn from doing something wrong.

I have learned far more about shooting well from my mistakes...than from when I win a place or prize.
Andy

LOL. I'm pretty much "All World" when it comes to shooting off a logging landing with someone tossing clays by hand or using one of those cheap tire-mounted throwers. I had never shot 5-stand before, but there was a 3-D archery shoot at a local gun club and they advertised to "bring your shotgun" for some 5-stand. Well, I stood there with my Browning Citori next to a bunch of YHEC (Youth Hunter Education Challenge) kids and there old pump action shotguns. Talk about humbling. Those clay birds were coming from over me, behind me, above and below me. It was a far cry from picking off those easy clays from the landing. Those YHEC kids with their old pumps were breaking twice as many clays as me.

As for Sporting Clays, a friend and I always talked a lot about doing that. I think there was a course up around Philomath (my friend lives in Corvallis) and I don't know if it is even still there. We never did get around to doing it. Sure sounded like fun.
Once I get the BPS back and I get the how to lesson done, you are welcome to try it with me. The Creswell Range is open Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday.

Get some basic instruction. Target presentation, set up, leade, guns ect.

If you wear glasses, when was the last time they were checked? Might be time to see an optomotrist. The eyes are very importatant in the clay games. The faster you detect target movement/flash is critical in some presentations. I focus so hard I try to see the ring steps and spinning of the target.

Used to belong to a club just north of Salem in the 90s before I moved to Alaska. They have skeet, trap & sporting clays plus a few nationally certified instructors.

Mid valley sporting clays is a great place just north of salem off hwy 99. I compare it to golfing with shotguns, easy to get hooked. If you dont reload you can figure about $100+ per outing.

Mid valley sporting clays is a great place just north of salem off hwy 99. I compare it to golfing with shotguns, easy to get hooked. If you dont reload you can figure about $100+ per outing.
Yikes! That's even more expensive than golf - at least the courses I play. How do they charge you - by the hour, by the # of targets, by the # of people???

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top