JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well the only way I can get a left handed Benelli is to special order it from a Benelli dealer and around here that means Calbelas. To buy it from Calbelas it needs to be on there website because they don't have anyone to do special orders anymore. Joke them if they can't take a fish. So I ordered the CZ Southpaw over and under from my local guy.

Well the only way I can get a left handed Benelli is to special order it from a Benelli dealer and around here that means Calbelas. To buy it from Calbelas it needs to be on there website because they don't have anyone to do special orders anymore. Joke them if they can't take a fish. So I ordered the CZ Southpaw over and under from my local guy.
Is that the cz drake? If I didn't come crossed the deal on my ruger red label that's what I was gonna buy.....but in the correct hand

can't go wrong with clay shooting, more fun than punching papers.

but with current shot shell prices and availability, no fun.

moved onto long range shooting for now.

Let me know how you like it. I still might pick one up
(psst Tlock) The lefties have landed, the righties can't be too far behind:

(psst Tlock) The lefties have landed, the righties can't be too far behind:
That's not a bad price either!

That is a good price. Sorry to mention that you just missed the $100 rebate CZ was offering from July thru 12/31
They were also about $100 more than my posted price a month a go when I started looking at them.
here is the old price:

I love sporting clays; but it's been a long time since I've done it. I used to live in NYC and it was an excuse to get out of the city, go over to NJ and have some fun on some weekends. Sorry this isn't a timely reply but it still may be helpful:

Since I was limited in the time I could practice or shoot a course because of where I lived, I would have to practice dry at home. This book was a huge benefit:

https://www.abebooks.com/9780876911846/Shotgunning-Art-Science-Brister-Bob-087691184X/plp

Classic book and worth reading for fun, even if you are already skilled. Not specific to SC but taught me a lot about shotgunning and helped me progress way faster than I would have otherwise. The link has used copies to, this is an older hardback and there is a newer paperback out I think also.

Last Edited:
I was just thinking does anyone ever use a bore sight laser to train for shooting clays? We used to follow the lines inside a room where the ceiling meets the wall to practice holding a steady swing. Seems like a bore laser would give you instant feedback about how steady you are and if you are on line. Never tried it just thinking out loud.

It's funny if you have ever tried to shoot birds in flight with a camera and long lens it's exactly the same technique (minus leading the target I mean). Smooth swing and holding on target.

I was just thinking does anyone ever use a bore sight laser to train for shooting clays? We used to follow the lines inside a room where the ceiling meets the wall to practice holding a steady swing. Seems like a bore laser would give you instant feedback about how steady you are and if you are on line. Never tried it just thinking out loud.
A mini mag flashlight in the end of the barrel works well for this and costs a lot less than most lasers. I think this works better for practicing mounting and swinging the gun, and helps keep your eyes off the beads.

Stopped in at the Creswell club earlier this month.
I'm pretty sure you can shoot reloads there.
We talked about shot and primer availability.

All loads restricted to bird shot 7 1/2 and smaller.

Last Edited:
Just thought I'd update my progress towards this. I got the BPS back from the gunsmith and it works much better now with no ketch in it's get a long. My wife loaned me the money for the CZ Drake and it should be here Tuesday. I bought a book called Mastering Sporting Clays by Don Currie and I am reading it as I can. I think the next thing to do is to get a club membership and shoot a round of trap with both shotguns to see how they shoot for me. Then get some instruction and go from there.

Edited to add that I see Midwayusa has the left handed Benilli Montifeltro in stock but now I have enough shotguns to get started so will be taking a pass on that one until I'm sure it's what I need. Maybe it'll be my next "just one more" but not just yet. (it's good to have yets)

Last Edited:

It's funny if you have ever tried to shoot birds in flight with a camera and long lens it's exactly the same technique (minus leading the target I mean). Smooth swing and holding on target.

I once sold a cast off military stock to a photographer for that exact reason. I helped him cut the top flat and add a camera mount.
At the time it drew a lot of attn. but he said it made shooting birds in flight much easier. These days I'll bet it would draw a lot of negative attn. Especially in parks and bird sanctuaries. DR

I took the CZ to the Creswell range and joined up for the year cost was $95.00. Being a member now and bringing my own shells the cost to shoot 25 birds on the trap range was $6.50. I wanted to just shoot the gun before starting classes. So got that done I like it got most of the birds and want to do it again.

I took the CZ to the Creswell range and joined up for the year cost was $95.00. Being a member now and bringing my own shells the cost to shoot 25 birds on the trap range was $6.50. I wanted to just shoot the gun before starting classes. So got that done I like it got most of the birds and want to do it again.
When are you gonna shoot sporting clays? That's my favorite by far

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads