JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't want to give too many details and embarrass the individual but tell enough of the story in order to give some props:

A young man came for what was obviously his first match on Saturday. He made it to the firing line and realized his gun was not in his holster. Running to his range bag, in his excitement he pulled his gun straight out into his holster in the area the rest of the squad was waiting. No question that it was an instant DQ. When the RO explained the proper procedure and the consequence, the young man apologized. Instead of storming off, he stayed and observed the match, eventually learning to keep score becoming designated scorekeeper. It was nice to see someone of the younger generation able to accept responsibility for their mistake and turn what had to have been a major disappointment into a learning experience.

Glad to hear he was willing to stick around after what I'm sure was a somewhat humiliating event. It happens, in fact, I've seen it happen with more seasoned folks too. We all screw up from time to time, we just hope it's not a mistake that hurts someone. I'm glad you folks gave him a chance to learn some stuff and to shoot at the end - I'm sure he will be back, and probably won't make that same mistake again. I've been on the receiving end of correction for gun stuff in my lifetime - it's never fun, but it's important to point it out and not get personally offended if you're the one called out. We watch out for each other in the gun community, and when someone makes a mistake, we can correct them, but also encourage them at the same time.

Good on you and good on him :)

It was most likely the best thing that could have happened to him at the event. He got a chance to learn more about the even then had he been a shooter. And certainly will be a better competitor because of it.

I don't want to give too many details and embarrass the individual but tell enough of the story in order to give some props:

A young man came for what was obviously his first match on Saturday. He made it to the firing line and realized his gun was not in his holster. Running to his range bag, in his excitement he pulled his gun straight out into his holster in the area the rest of the squad was waiting. No question that it was an instant DQ. When the RO explained the proper procedure and the consequence, the young man apologized. Instead of storming off, he stayed and observed the match, eventually learning to keep score becoming designated scorekeeper. It was nice to see someone of the younger generation able to accept responsibility for their mistake and turn what had to have been a major disappointment into a learning experience.

Seeing as I have no idea how these tourneys work, but do practice all safety procedures that I know, what should have the young man have done to follow the rules?

Seeing as I have no idea how these tourneys work, but do practice all safety procedures that I know, what should have the young man have done to follow the rules?
He should have taken his cased gun over to the safety table to holster/unholster. No ammo is allowed at the tables so he should
have removed any loaded mags from his person first.

He should have taken his cased gun over to the safety table to holster/unholster. No ammo is allowed at the tables so he should
have removed any mags from his person first.

Got it....Specific place to to un-case a gun and places that ammo are not allowed.

Thanx.

have removed any loaded mags from his person first.

Technically, since it was his turn to shoot he could have taken a bagged gun to the firing line and holstered it there under the supervision of the RO.

Technically, since it was his turn to shoot he could have taken a bagged gun to the firing line and holstered it there under the supervision of the RO.
True, but he should have been prepared in the first place by arriving at the firing line holstered and ready to go.
Either way, I hope he didn't get discouraged and he comes back next month :)

Almost everyone gets DQ'd at one point or another in their comp shooting career. I got DQ'd at a match a few years ago for 180....barely. Weird stage setup, i wasnt the only one that day on the same stage. I also watched a very highly experienced shooter from TCGC at state championships get DQ'd for a muzzle issue. He was opening a door and swept himself. It happens...Also at a BUG match at TCGC a couple years ago, one of the shooters layed his bag on the table at the line and opened it....We were all standing there but none of us realized it. He got the ax....

Last Edited:
If the match is an officially sanctioned USPSA match then the USPSA rules apply. www.uspsa.org
If it's a uspsa-like match (outlaw), then the club can make up any rules it wants to make up.

I am unfamiliar with IDPA rules.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews