JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New to me, has anyone seen this before?

Is this some kind of competition thing?
I've never heard of anyone mentioning this style of reloading before, but it seems to be extremely efficient (with a little practice).
I could see someone shooting doubles in Skeet using this method.
Key seems to be having the ammo in the sleeve mounted upside down, so you can pull it from the bottom.

Dean

I have done this and yes with practice and a bit of luck , you can hit doubles with a single shot shotgun.
But mostly I just like to keep a spare shot shell between my fingers on my left hand , if I feel that I need a speedy reload for my single shot shotguns.
Andy

I have done this and yes with practice and a bit of luck , you can hit doubles with a single shot shotgun.
But mostly I just like to keep a spare shot shell between my fingers on my left hand , if I feel that I need a speedy reload for my single shot shotguns.
Andy
True. I never found that to be all that quick (holding it in your left/right hand, that is), plus, sometimes you drop the shell.
….of course, my experience is more in the field than on the range.
I remember trying to tuck some shells into the cuff of my gloves, but that didn't work very well, either.
Just thought that was a interesting technique for quickly reloading a single.

Dean

I admire his effort but he needs a pump! I carry two in my left hand kind of dangling between my fingers for follow up shots in my o/u. It works ok, I drop one sometimes, things happen when birds flush.

I own a single shot 12 Ga. Rossi and after shooting it repeatedly right after I bought it - leave it in the safe.

I was going to get back into dove shooting, which I used to do with a Browning Citori O/U with a Scnable forend and an English style stock, but then decided after watching them at my feeders no longer have the heart to shoot them, even though I love wrapping them in bacon with a bit of Jalapeno and grilling.

Single shot whatever's make you (or at least me) a better shot.

No big deal. My truck gun for 40 years has been a single. I carry three bird shot and two slugs. Over the years and lots of clay pigeon practice, I have gotten real fast manipulating between shots, or slug and bird shot whether foul or coyote. Its my don't leave home (city) without it gun, and given the family many a fine meals.
IMGP0145-1.jpg

One can be "fast" with a single shot firearm...in my experience with single firearms its best to be "smooth"...as in easy fluid motions that are almost muscle memory...this often is viewed as "speed"...but they are not quite the same thing.
Andy

^^^nope, I call BS on that one^^^

That's gun writer fallacy being repeated because you read it in a well known gun mag, or have heard it from every source on the subject, for as long as you can remember.
Trust me, I bought it too.
Both eyes open and point the gun at the target, while you concentrate on just looking at the target. Let your brain do all the math (subconsciously) and you're supposed to make the shot, every time.
It's all based on an article from the 1970's that someone wrote in Shooting Times magazine about "Instinctive Shooting". He used his kids as examples of the practice (I remember him mentioning one of them could drop bumble bees in flight with a BB gun).
What ended up happening was that I had the hardest time hitting birds/clays with any consistency, following what I had read in that Instinctive Shooting article.
Then one day my teen-aged self was talking to my dad. He was a big fan of Full Choke. In his opinion, the pattern being tight helped bring the bird down because it hit less like a "shower of pellets" and more like "one large mass".
When I asked how he could always hit the bird no matter how fast it was moving or what direction it was coming from (and he was NOT a competitive shooter, mind you. I don't even remember him ever visiting a range), he looked at me and said, "Well, you gotta aim it, to start with.".
My reply was "You don't aim a shotgun, you point it....don't you?"
All he said to that was, "I don't know....I aim it."
That's when I realized I was just repeating all the stuff I'd read in all the gun mags I'd been pouring over for years.
I'm not as good a shot as my dad was (or my ex-brother-in-law. That guy can drive nails!), but once I opened the choke to modified and started actually aiming it, I started dropping birds and clays like there was no tomorrow (as long as I didn't shoot over the gun. Still have a problem with that, sometimes).
It's not a precise aim, mind you, just close one eye and line up the sights ahead of the bird (crossing shot at speed. If the bird's on rise or going away from you, just drop the sights on the bird and let'er have it).

Dean

Last Edited:
No big deal. My truck gun for 40 years has been a single. I carry three bird shot and two slugs. Over the years and lots of clay pigeon practice, I have gotten real fast manipulating between shots, or slug and bird shot whether foul or coyote. Its my don't leave home (city) without it gun, and given the family many a fine meals.
View attachment 603817
Beautiful gun thorborg.
Absolutely beautiful. :s0155:

Dean

Speaking only for myself here , in regards to aiming / pointing a shotgun...

I focus only on where I hit the target...while putting the front bead on that spot...
I don't really see the bead or even the whole target...everything is a bit of a blur , except the spot that I want to hit.

This may not work for everyone...but it does work for me.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads