JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@DeanMk

Ugh...yep aggravating indeed...there is only one solution here Dean...
To rid yourself of the aggravation...you must send me all of your firearms....:eek::p:D

I suppose just continue to shoot with whatever hand / eye you have the most success with....
Andy

...rats...I knew this day would come....mailing address please...never mind, I'll load up the truck and deliver them myself.

….boy is my brother ever going to be pissed. Some of those guns are his! ( ;) )

...rats...I knew this day would come....mailing address please...never mind, I'll load up the truck and deliver them myself.

….boy is my brother ever going to be pissed. Some of those guns are his! ( ;) )
Upside...no more aggravation of which eye to shoot with...
Upside ...no need to travel to the brother's house for the holidays...
Upside .. I get some cool guns....

Downside...Brother is pissed...

Well since there is more Up , than down...
I live at__________:D
Andy

For a more definitive test, instead of your finger, use a tube, like a roll of toilet paper (everybody has one of those laying around). Same idea, with both eyes open look thru the tube at a distant object, then close one eye, alternating. Whichever eye still sees the object is dominant.

It is possible, though rare, that you don't have a dominant eye, or dominance shifts between eyes due to fatigue or some other factor. In that case, yeah, give Andy your guns.

Upside...no more aggravation of which eye to shoot with...
Upside ...no need to travel to the brother's house for the holidays...
Upside .. I get some cool guns....

Downside...Brother is pissed...

Well since there is more Up , than down...
I live at__________:D
Andy
:oops:...glad you're taking this so well...o_O
Hopefully I can figure out which lane I should drive in while delivering those guns. :s0140:

That doesn't sound familiar. I will try it!
How far away from my eyes do I hold the tube?
Arms length?

Dean
Really curious, so I went ahead and tried it.
Used a paper towel tube (hope that was ok).
Held tube in both hands and held tube about a foot away from my face.
Centered object in tube with both eyes open.
Right eye closed - object almost centered in tube.
Left eye closed - Object disappears...:oops:

….I think we've reached a verdict! :eek:

Left eye dominant?

Last Edited:
All this talk of shotguns and how to shoot 'em...has me Jonesing for grouse season...which starts for me September 1st...
I like using either my Winchester 37 in 20 gauge or my NEF "Pardner" , also in 20 gauge....if we are here to talk of single shot shotguns....
Andy

You don't "Aim" a Shotgun, you Point it and "Slap" the Trigger. Unless you are doing something like hunting Deer where shot placement is important.
Odd, back when I was trap alot I seem to remember lining up the front and mid beads with the pigion aka aiming my single shot Remington 870. Thease days I use both the front and rear sighrs on my 37 Deerslayer.

Maybe a cross dominance problem?
So back to your original question....Apparently I am Left Eye Dominant and I primarily shoot left handed, although I can shoot the other way, too (use the other eye when I do that).
Wingshooting does work better if I close one eye and aim the gun.
Do I have a cross dominance problem?

Dean

All this talk of shotguns and how to shoot 'em...has me Jonesing for grouse season...which starts for me September 1st...
I like using either my Winchester 37 in 20 gauge or my NEF "Pardner" , also in 20 gauge....if we are here to talk of single shot shotguns....
Andy
Yeah, I've been thinking about that, too.
We should try getting together this year for a grouse hunt.
Would be nice to meet you in person.

Dean

edzz; I've always said, "Do whatever works best for you." I just know what I've seen on some of the Trap and Skeet Fields during National Matches where I have had the Honor of assisting. I guess the Folks who have fired several Hundred Rounds at the Clays without a miss might just be doing something Right!

That's my last word on the subject.

So back to your original question....Apparently I am Left Eye Dominant and I primarily shoot left handed, although I can shoot the other way, too (use the other eye when I do that).
Wingshooting does work better if I close one eye and aim the gun.
Do I have a cross dominance problem?

Dean

From what I've seen, if someone shoots better when they close the off eye its because there is some kind of dominance issue going on. Its pretty obvious with people who are strongly cross dominant as you can stand behind them while they shoot and they'll routinely be shooting several feet off to the side. Easy fix, close the off eye, but you lose your depth perception as well as a chunk of peripheral vision. Better fix is to block the off eyes center of focus with a small piece of tape over the correct spot on your shooting glasses. You get depth perception and peripheral vision back. Best fix is to switch shooting hands so the dominant eye and shooting hand match up, but that can be very awkward for most people and takes a lot of practice.

Some people just don't have a strongly dominant eye and the other eye may take over occasionally. First two fixes mentioned will work, but switching hands may not.

Pretty much impossible to diagnose at the key board. Only way to find out is get with somebody who can work with you and see what the problem is.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top