JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been searching online for this for a LONG time but I haven't been able to find it. I am 20 years old and will be 21 in September. I recently went shooting for my first time and now I have the fever. I am also majoring in law enforcement and would like to get my first handgun before I go into the academy. I am set on the Glock 22.
Basically my question is: Can I purchase a gun face to face from somebody else in Washington? How about somebody from Oregon (even though I'm from Washington?
If so, where is a good place to find somebody looking to do a private sale? The classifieds had some nice G22's but they were all in oregon. Oh and is there any way I could buy ammo at my age?

So if the answer is yes to all my questions, I have one more question. Anybody trying to sell a Glock 22?

Thanks so much for reading all of this!

Technically speaking, you are not allowed to purchase a handgun under the age of 21. This goes for "handgun" ammo, too. Not really sure how they can figure that one out as I have a 9mm rifle...

Anyhow, you are allowed to own a handgun under the age of 21 but it becomes difficult to find someone who will sell you one without seeing ID. Search the classifieds and check out http://www.outdoorstrader.com for more local firearms.

Good luck and I hope you do well in the academy!! We need more gun folks as officers and Sheriffs!

Can I purchase a gun face to face from somebody else in Washington?

Yes, (I'm only addressing the age issue here) person to person sales use State law and Washington state allows you to own a firearm at 18.

RCW 9.41.040
Unlawful possession of firearms — Ownership, possession by certain persons — Penalties.

(1)(a) A person, whether an adult or juvenile, is guilty of the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm in the first degree, if the person owns, has in his or her possession, or has in his or her control any firearm after having previously been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity in this state or elsewhere of any serious offense as defined in this chapter....

...(iii) If the person is under eighteen years of age, except as provided in RCW 9.41.042; and/or

How about somebody from Oregon (even though I'm from Washington?

No. State to state requires an FFL. FFL follows federal law which requires 21 for a handgun. (sorry I can't cite the ATF web site. My system is have issues with PDF right now)

FYI

RCW 9.41.240
Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 423; 1971 c 34 § 1; 1909 c 249 § 308; 1883 p 67 § 1; RRS § 2560.]

Hope that helps.

Ok thanks a bunch guys! One more question though, could I legally buy a 22lr conversion kit? Or would I have to get that from a private face to face sale too? Because then I would just buy the 22lr rounds for plinking until I can get the .40 S&W legally.

Ok thanks a bunch guys! One more question though, could I legally buy a 22lr conversion kit? Or would I have to get that from a private face to face sale too? Because then I would just buy the 22lr rounds for plinking until I can get the .40 S&W legally.

Yes, you can buy the .22 conversion since it is not a firearm. I actually did this not long ago through Gun Broker. Found what I wanted and they shipped it right to my door without any paperwork.

Technically speaking, you are not allowed to purchase a handgun under the age of 21. This goes for "handgun" ammo, too. Not really sure how they can figure that one out as I have a 9mm rifle...

Anyhow, you are allowed to own a handgun under the age of 21 but it becomes difficult to find someone who will sell you one without seeing ID. Search the classifieds and check out http://www.outdoorstrader.com for more local firearms.

Good luck and I hope you do well in the academy!! We need more gun folks as officers and Sheriffs!

I bought two handguns before I was 21 in face to face sales. It's not illegal and I made sure the people selling were cool with me not being 21 yet first. I never bought handgun ammunition before I was 21, it was always "carbine" ammunition. It just *happened* to be used in my handguns... :p Most gun stores will let you buy if you say it's for a carbine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top