JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
During a recent CCW class the discussion of proper gun handling took a serious turn into WHAT LUBRICANT SHOULD BE USE.

Something to think about when you "Saddle up"
Is my weapon really ready to see action ??

Far too many folks don't shoot a lot of ammo through their carry gun on a regular basis, and the gun stays in the carry rig for extended periods of time without seeing daylight.

Yesssss, it's good protocol to check your weapon regularly, but as an instructor we are not there like MOM nagging about "clean your gun"

The big deal with any carry gun is the accumulation of LINT, yesssssssssss, that fuzzzzzy crap that comes from your clothes, toilet paper (yess, toilet paper contributes a nice white fluff if you wear your piece to the butt room)

Next comes dust from everywhere you go. Dust can be made up of all manner of nasty particles.

The trip to the play ground with junior and the sand under the swing sets, or sawdust.

Sitting on the couch and the kitty comes by and gives you some serious attention, then comes rover. Pet hair and dander.

The types of crud your gun can be subjected to are endless.

All this junk sticks to OIL and builds up over time.

You can end up with a real fur ball in your gun and never have had it out of the rig or fired a shot.

Even small insects can become part of the collection of crud that finds it's way into the one thing you may need to save your life in that darkest hour.

The lubricant you use on your CCW gun should be a DRY lube rather than a wet oily type.

The amount of ammo you are going to fire in carry mode is going to be limited, so don't worry about wearing the gun out if you shoot it.

A teflon dry lube really works well and does not allow most of the junk to stick to the guns working parts.

Also OIL can get on your nice clothes and depending, can stain things in a manner that will ruin them.

For Us Girls, having a nasty dark stain on a lovely blouse just sucks, and it looks nasty too.

Using a oil based lube when practicing at the range is great, it will allow an extended duty cycle and protect the critical parts from wear.

Once home, strip the gun, and flush the working parts with BRAKE CLEANER (USE OUTDOORS ONLY as it stinks and is not good to breath the vapors)
This product will clear away all the dirt and oily residue, but it leaves the metal dry, totally free of any lube, so then relube with the dry lube.

I don't recommend graphite, its black, gets everywhere and is just nasty if it gets on light colored clothes.

Some of the teflon lubes have a solvent propellant that evaporates after its applied, leaving just the lube behind.

Another great trick for a quicky clean, is the computer duster AIR CANS

These are great to give your weapon a blow down and remove the dust that will assuredly find its way in after a short time of carry. (Week or so)

A field strip, blow down, reassemble, good to go.

Another really important thing.

WD40 should not be allowed to come into contact with AMMO

This is not meant to slam this fine product, but WD40 can penetrate primers and deactivate them, leaving you with basically dummy rounds.
WD40 over time will dry to a shelac and is really not a suitable gun lube.

It has many other uses, but not your guns.

This same caution is aimed at any solvent based lubes that might be used on or around your carry gun.

KEEP THE AMMO DRY AND FREE OF ANY OILS AND SOLVENTS, LEST YE FIND THYSELF NOT ABLE TO GO BANG WHEN NEEDED

i hope these points are helpful.

Snowy

Reliability includes being able to hit your target.

Shoot your handgun, and shoot it often. Become familiar with the trigger. The more you use it you will find that the pull becomes predictable and consistent, even for handguns with notoriously long trigger pulls. The same goes for the kick when firing off a round. The more you shoot the better you will become at reaquiring the target for follow up shots.

And yes, agreed, you should clean your weapon after most every use - especially heavy use at the range.

Now, to address the trigger thing mentioned above.

Now this happened here in my presence about two years ago.

We had two people, a guy and a gal come to us wanting some professional training.

Both had been through the Oregon DPSST (police academy) and were trying to hire on to a local dept (county)

The young lady was the first one I took to the firing line.

It went like this.

Me
Gas that thing up and slow fire a mag full into the target.

Student
BANG 10 TIMES
There are zero holes in the target at about 20 feet OH MY GAWD ???????

The young lady told me that her instructor at DPSST told that her Glock had problems.

The issue was evident right off.
I asked to see her weapon. I turned away from her view, fiddled with the gun, and handed it back to her with an empty chamber.

Ok, that should help I replied, give me some nice slow fire.

She addressed the target and CLICK, GAWD, the gun has been jerked way off target FLINCH.

The girl was totally scared of the thing.

I dove into trying to find out why she was doing this.

Result

She informed me that her instructor told her emphasizing that she should be totally shocked every time the gun goes BANG.

The training instructor had trained this poor girl into the worst case flinches I have ever seen.

Several hours of extreme one on one got her able to get rounds on the paper when I was chanting "front sight, front sight, squeeze them off carefully" but when she was on her own, all over the area.

This gal never did qualify.

The young man had the same instructor and was actually worse.
I had to stop his training session because of extremely sloppy (dangerous) gun handling.

Yessss, know your trigger, know when its going to break and have the sights aligned at that point.

The caliber of training instruction is all over that map.

If I had not seen this mess unfold, I would not have believed it possible.

Snowy

Hitting the target was not really the thrust of this thread, but instead to focus on a clean, dry, crud free gun.

All good stuff, but a separate subject.

Snowy

Agreed that you meant this thread to be a different topic, but the post heading is

"Some good CCW practices to improve reliability of your weapon"

IMO, frequent practice is good CCW practice to improve the reliability of your weapon. :)

Do like your original post, very good info.......

Remember that some weapons like to run dry - like Glocks and AK's - and some prefer to run wet, like 1911's and AR's. If your gun is basically bone-dry, it's not going to gunk up with sticky lint and dust, although it still will get dirty. You'll have to figure out if it's at risk of a malf when it's full of crep, dry or otherwise.

Awhile back I had a couple scares out practicing when my CCW would FTE on the first shot of the day, and never again all day! I couldn't reproduce the failure, but next time out it did it again. I finally realized it was caused by constantly checking for a loaded chamber - cracking the slide open a hundred times was screwing up the ejector function. So now I just chamber a fresh round now and then, and let the previous one drop into a drawer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top