JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am not sure it is completely an "administration" issue now.
This shortage is self-created thanks to shooters hoarding, it's that simple. Assuming the manufacturers are operating production at normal volume, which I have no reason to doubt, the continued lack of availability points to a set of panic buyers who keep the shelves empty and the prices elevated.

All it takes is the rumor of a 'rice shortage' and poof- people run out to the store and buy up all the rice, and now there IS a rice shortage, "just like the news said."

There's one brand and type of .22 (I think it's a Remington type) that Midway states is expected in stock in November 2014. Yes, ten and a half months from now. I had to look at it twice to make sure I was reading it correctly.

no way to compete with people who have smart phones, I learned that finishing an AR in March.....

Yes there is. You just check that box that says "Log me in automatically next time" and setup 1-click shopping.

Click link (Auto Logon) - Click Add To Cart -Click Finish (1-Click shopping)

Finished in under 5 seconds.

I do that for Amazon orders. I might have to try that for Midway!

Just finished setting up express ordering on Midway. It works fine.

But instead of setting it up to notify me when the ammo is in stock, I just placed an order for the 1400rd bucket of 22lr.. only $63 and it estimates it will ship in June, and I won't be charged until it ships.

Win/Win.

It's like asking to be notified when it's in stock, except I win the race automatically. ;)

Yes there is. You just check that box that says "Log me in automatically next time" and setup 1-click shopping.

Click link (Auto Logon) - Click Add To Cart -Click Finish (1-Click shopping)

Finished in under 5 seconds.

I do that for Amazon orders. I might have to try that for Midway!

works great if you can fit you computer in your pocket

Looks like I’m going to be maybe the lone dissenter on this issue. I have ALWAYS taken issue with the term s “hoarding” and “gouging”.
"Hoarding" is a word we will see bandied about with fervent frequency as soon as things get sparse or go bad. DESPITE the fact that a person who prepares far in advance to provide for his family can only do so by a diligent practice of VIRTUE i.e. saving, planning, going without common luxuries... basically disciplining himself to do what most others will NOT (even though the opportunity to do so is available to everyone else as it is to the "hoarder") this long-term display of virtue will be turned 180 degrees on its ear and then called a VICE. Calling it a vice gives permission to those undisciplined and irresponsible to label your acts of virtue a CRIME of sorts, and therefore giving them the right to seize "hoarded" goods to be shared out among the irresponsible throngs... and feel virtuous as they do it. The only alternative is for them to be accountable for their own inaction, and to the consequences of such... and I don't expect to see much of THAT.
“Gouging” is an angry term applied by buyers who somehow believe that people should sell their purchased commodities at a FORMER market value to benefit those buyers who didn’t, and who now need them… that those sellers should feel some altruistic obligation to do so, rather than commit the evil act of selling at PRESENT market values. They are perceived as some kind of malicious spider awaiting the opportunity to take “unfair” advantage of your needs. Of course, you too had every opportunity to provide for your own needs by also purchasing when commodities were plentiful and at lower market values. If you didn’t, the “gouger” is to be blamed for the higher prices paid… not your inaction or lack of foresight. This seems more than disingenuous, and certainly lacks personal accountability.
WHY is investing in ammo being "opportunistic", while investing in houses, stocks, bonds, retirement funds, gold, silver, or any other commodity NOT? Make an argument, if you can, because I’d be genuinely interested in hearing one that made even the slightest sense. Have you ALWAYS sold your investment items for what U paid (or less) and will you always do so, refusing to make a gain over time… because it is somehow immoral “gouging” to do so? Make an argument based on rational economic/commodities principals, if you can, as to the differences as you see them.
Investors buy commodities when they are relatively plentiful and inexpensive, believing for various reasons they will increase in value over time. This can of course be pork bellies, sugar futures, widgits, houses, or yes even ammo. They invest their precious capitol in such a venture, taking the very real risk that they might end up wrong. 100% of that capitol is at risk during the investment period. Their commodities can be destroyed, damaged, stolen... or the market can simply change, making their investment worth LESS than what they paid. They might hold it for years and stay even... losing the gains they may have made in another investment.
IF they are RIGHT, they stand to make a profit which has been EARNED during that risk period. It is not "opportunistic" it is investment in a free market... which again has risks and can go either way. It is the free market system of capitalism and the inevitable result of a constantly changing supply and demand. It built this country, and I am proud of every cent I have made in this manner. Mutual exchange to mutual advantage... this is how a free market works. No one is compelled to buy OR sell at ANY price.
And it’s the very same with every investment. For example, do you sell your house for market value, or only for what you paid in the past? Are U "gouging" when you DO ask the present market value? Don’t you have the “obligation” to provide a former market price to those buyers who DIDN’T buy when the market was lower like you did?
Nobody LIKES higher ammo prices. But demonizing sellers during a flux of supply and demand is simply an absurdity. Virtually everyone who DOES do so will himself sell his OWN investments - house, classic car, gold, silver, vintage guitar, art, etc… at whatever the current market will bear, not at the lower price he paid at an earlier time.

On another forum I am at some guy posts an ad for 2) 525 ct bulk boxes of Federal Champions. He's only asking $50.00 a box! And he sites that this stuff sells for $75.00 a box on Gun Broker.

So I went to gun broker where I see 29 pages of .22 ammo for sale 1407 items. Counting up a couple pages and doing some math that means there are approx. 1,400,000 rounds of .22 ammo for sale on Gun Broker at an average of 2.5 times the retail cost of the ammo.

SO when someone tells you the shortage has been created by the buyers You can take that to the bank.

Cause when you ad in all the different gun auction sites the hundreds and hundreds of gun forums and all the rest of it, its not had to see where the HORDING and PROFITEERING is going on.

IMHO

Well when local stores ie Bimart Walmart Freddys etc start selling .22 bricks for 50+ a brick then I will consider 50 bucks market value. Until then 50 bucks is still gouging to me.

Stratbastard, what you posted was correct. Buy low, sell high has always been a rather successful business structure--indeed, it is THE definitive business structure. When I was in the firearm dealer's business, I loved buying a certain brand of firearms that shall remain unnamed. Why did I like buying them? Because, being a single man operation, I could buy them at wholesale, undercut ANY established store and still make phat bucks in profit. This manufacturer's guns are ALWAYS retailed at three to four HUNDRED dollars above wholesale.

That being said, I have learned that there is one qualifier missing in this business model quite often, and that is to ask yourself, "What is the RIGHT thing to do?" Doing the right thing--and knowing that you did--is, IMHO, the mark of an honorable man.

If a person sets out to buy 100,000 rounds of .22LR ammo, stores it well and rotates it out at a measured pace by firing some of the oldest stock and replacing it with new ammo--for their own safekeeping and use, kewl beanz. Preparedness is always a good thing.

However, if a person sets out to buy 100,000 rounds of .22LR with the intent of flipping it at outrageous prices, then to me that's not so honorable. In our present time, this creates an unreasonable, buyer-induced problem.

I have stocks of different ammunition calibers on hand, sealed away in the calibers I'll take with me in case of emergency. And yes, I have some .22. Not much, but some.

It really does SUCK when you try to find the most common and heaviest produced caliber IN THE WORLD, and can't even find one box.

I am not talking about a recent date. ;)

A few minutes ago I got a notice that Midway USA had 5,000 rounds of CCI 40 gr. in stock. I was standing right here at the keyboard so flipped over there, saw "in stock" hit "add to cart", then got the LOGIN screen, did the password and user name and...

"THIS ITEM IS OUT OF STOCK AND HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM YOUR CART."

It was great for about 45 seconds. I assume they had more than one box to sell- it didn't even take a minute to sell out.

I have had this happen a few times. I think they don't send the email until after it has hit the website. I noticed something in stock once on Midways site then the next day got an email saying in stock:huh:

But yes it is hard to deal with all these people after product that just sit waiting to pounce.

Kind of like all the people waiting for BiMart to open so they can suck up the ammo:s0114:

You're missing the point of supply and demand. The reason bricks of .22 were selling on the market for $50 was because Bi-Mart and Freddie's HAD NO SUPPLY to sell at any price. Freddie's and Bi-mart do not set the value of commodities, they compete in the same market. When supply returns to normal levels they return to the shelves of such retail outlets, and then the same laws apply... many competing for the same dollars with the same commodities... thus lower prices again. Values of commodities change with supply and demand. To deny it is to deny reality. It makes just as much sense to be angry at the brick of .22 as it does to be angry at higher prices and sellers in a higher market.
Well when local stores ie Bimart Walmart Freddys etc start selling .22 bricks for 50+ a brick then I will consider 50 bucks market value. Until then 50 bucks is still gouging to me.

Stratbastard, what you posted was correct. Buy low, sell high has always been a rather successful business structure--indeed, it is THE definitive business structure. When I was in the firearm dealer's business, I loved buying a certain brand of firearms that shall remain unnamed. Why did I like buying them? Because, being a single man operation, I could buy them at wholesale, undercut ANY established store and still make phat bucks in profit. This manufacturer's guns are ALWAYS retailed at three to four HUNDRED dollars above wholesale.

That being said, I have learned that there is one qualifier missing in this business model quite often, and that is to ask yourself, "What is the RIGHT thing to do?" Doing the right thing--and knowing that you did--is, IMHO, the mark of an honorable man.

If a person sets out to buy 100,000 rounds of .22LR ammo, stores it well and rotates it out at a measured pace by firing some of the oldest stock and replacing it with new ammo--for their own safekeeping and use, kewl beanz. Preparedness is always a good thing.

However, if a person sets out to buy 100,000 rounds of .22LR with the intent of flipping it at outrageous prices, then to me that's not so honorable. In our present time, this creates an unreasonable, buyer-induced problem.

I have stocks of different ammunition calibers on hand, sealed away in the calibers I'll take with me in case of emergency. And yes, I have some .22. Not much, but some.

It really does SUCK when you try to find the most common and heaviest produced caliber IN THE WORLD, and can't even find one box.

I would use the pro high sales quote but its a little long winded. I have said before I have and always will be a .22 hoarder but it is for my personal use. If they stop selling .22 tomorrow I will be ok for a while and I will give close family, friends a little to shoot. The idea that ammo is the same as gold or collectibles is ridiculous. You said it right as looking at the right thing to do. I could make a killing right now with .22. I will not sell it though and if I did i would be at what I bought it for to a person I know. If you want people to believe you took a big risk and are now capitalizing on it then great but karma is a bubblegum. People like myself may have to step in and drop those costs to half yours and leave you with your pile of fools gold. You can look at the kid who got their first .22 for Christmas and tell them "its the way the market works kid, come back when you have triple that amount of cash". No real investor I know bought buckets of ammo. Why when gold was 900 an ounce for a long while would one buy .22? I bought gold, dropped it when it hit 1900. That is an investment. Ammo is just wrong.

You're missing the point of supply and demand. The reason bricks of .22 were selling on the market for $50 was because Bi-Mart and Freddie's HAD NO SUPPLY to sell at any price. Freddie's and Bi-mart do not set the value of commodities, they compete in the same market. When supply returns to normal levels they return to the shelves of such retail outlets, and then the same laws apply... many competing for the same dollars with the same commodities... thus lower prices again. Values of commodities change with supply and demand. To deny it is to deny reality. It makes just as much sense to be angry at the brick of .22 as it does to be angry at higher prices and sellers in a higher market.

You may as well go into investing in buying up all the kids favorite toys these days as well. Sounds about like the same ethics code you are quoting.

I did not miss the point but you missed mine. It is on the shelves now. Not the way it used to be but is getting better. Also they do set the market value if a store has it for X dollars why would I pay some joker (like you im assuming) XX or even XXX dollars for it. As others have said its a character thing A poor character thing.

Hey I found all the .22 ammo! Or at least some of it anyway. While at lunch today I was reading a local Lapine advertising fish wrapper and someone was advertising 500 round bricks for $125 each, or save on three for $350 - and he had 25 bricks left!

I was at Bi-Mart the other day, and I asked the guy behind the sporting goods counter where was all the .22 ammo.
His reply was "In my Basement". He said it with a straight face, so I'm thinking maybe he's the culprit.

Not looking like this is going to ever get back to 'normal'. I have had an order for 5000 22lr at the CMP for a year now. Logged in to check the status and here is what one of the admins had posted:

"AMMUNITION UPDATE. The CMP has been notified by ammunition manufacturers and distributors to expect price increases and significant delivery delays for all calibers of ammunition, especially for .22 rimfire. The price increases and delays apply to orders we have already placed with the manufacturers. Prior to 2013 CMP received deliveries of truckloads of ammo within a few weeks of placing orders. We are now being advised, as in the case of Aguila .22, that it may take several years to receive all of the 35,000,000 rounds of Aguila ammo we have on order.
"

Yep, YEARS.
WTF?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads