JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
On another forum I am at some guy posts an ad for 2) 525 ct bulk boxes of Federal Champions. He's only asking $50.00 a box! And he sites that this stuff sells for $75.00 a box on Gun Broker.

So I went to gun broker where I see 29 pages of .22 ammo for sale 1407 items. Counting up a couple pages and doing some math that means there are approx. 1,400,000 rounds of .22 ammo for sale on Gun Broker at an average of 2.5 times the retail cost of the ammo.

SO when someone tells you the shortage has been created by the buyers You can take that to the bank.

Cause when you ad in all the different gun auction sites the hundreds and hundreds of gun forums and all the rest of it, its not had to see where the HORDING and PROFITEERING is going on.

IMHO

Eventually the pipeline will fill up and all those people charging higher prices will be stuck with that ammo as the prices come down as supply once again exceeds demand.

It wasn't that long ago that a 500 rd carton of 22 rimfire was $20 to $25 before discount and down into the teens, even low teens on sale. So I am not going to pay 10 cents per round when I have thousands of quality rounds (Remington, Winchester, etc.) I bought at two to three cents per round.

It may be a while, but I can wait at these prices.

...I have thousands of quality rounds (Remington, Winchester, etc.) I bought at two to three cents per round.

I don't like the gougers one bit but I suspect we'll never see two to three cents per round prices again. Not sure where the prices will settle though. I've heard that tin may be the next lead and if so, it's going to be quite a bit more expensive than 10 cents per round. I wish I had more 22 ammo squirreled away.

I thought this whole mess would have been settled by now. I had about 6-7 thousand rounds when the pipeline dried up a year ago. My oldest son is hellbent on burning out the barrel on his old 10/22 and I had the discussion with him that he needs to slow down some. I've been able to pick up a brick or two here and there to sort of keep that level, but last time I checked I'm down to about 4 thousand rounds.

Tired of the exploitation.....Hopefully it's a cold day before I feel the need to pay $50 a brick or more. So far the highest I've dropped is maybe $23 or $24 bucks.

I suspect we'll never see two to three cents per round prices again.

This is a very common assumption, and a big reason why demand is staying sky-high on .22 ammo. You may be right, but I'm still strongly inclined to think that when (if) demand drops, and production stays ramped up, the price and/or production will have to drop.

There's a guy on our very own NWFA selling Thunderbolt 22lr for $40.00 a 500 pack. He has a decent history here too, not some newbie gouger.

people who work in retail and the friends they call in to buy it up are the majority of people doing this......I know one person who does not shoot that works in a big retailer and he tells me that when it comes in two other employees get their limit then they each call in 6 friends to get their limit upon the opening of the doors, usually the 2 employees give the money to do it.....I have a decent stash of 22 but sometimes I want to wait in the shadows for them just for the principals of it lol

I have lived through three of these panic buyer induced shortages now. Each one has been somewhat unique in what items were hard to come by.

10 years ago Fishermen's Marine used to regularly sell the 400 count bricks of Federal American Eagle as a loss leader for $6.90 a brick. They had a sale limit but I always made a point of buying a few each time and still managed to put away many thousands of rounds for future use.

When the dust finally settles from this latest buying binge, I would strongly encourage shooters to begin a "savings plan" of all consumable supplies that they use to see them through the next lean period.

E

I don't like the gougers one bit but I suspect we'll never see two to three cents per round prices again. Not sure where the prices will settle though. I've heard that tin may be the next lead and if so, it's going to be quite a bit more expensive than 10 cents per round. I wish I had more 22 ammo squirreled away.

Maybe not 2-3 cents per rounds, but I expect less than 10 cents - something more like 5 cents, or $25 to $30 per 500 rd carton, at which point I may start buying again, especially when discounted.

Maybe I am just lucky, but I have been having so much luck finding bricks of 22lr lately that the last few times I saw them, I actually passed. I am seeing lots more ammo everywhere including the big box stores where it is still reasonably priced. It really is getting better guys. I am hoping we will be able to look back in a year and say remember when....

Ain't payin, Ain't playin. I'll shoot somethin else. Keepem, eatem, I don't care. Have seen some Remington 525 boxes on and off at Bi Mart once in awhile for 19.00. Still didn't buy them cause I'm good with what I have. :cool:

Prices are coming down. I've got enough (barely) to keep my family shooting about as much as we always have for a while. I won't pay unreasonably high prices. As others have stated, my guess is the 'gougers' are just about at the end of their run. If you are in Bi-Mart at the right time you can pick up bulk packs for just a little more than what was paid 16 months ago and a LOT less than what they were asking just one month ago. I saw half a dozen or so 500 round Thunderbolt boxes being stocked the other evening at the Corvallis Bi-Mart for $18. A little high, but roughly half the price that the same box was a month or two ago.

I was cleaning out my hangar and came across a case of CCI .22LR Mini Mags that must be 25 years old. I bought them from K-Mart, in the final days as they were getting out of the G&A business.

So, I guess I've been a hoarder!

Just out of curiosity, did the op factor out the pre shortage for sale amounts of 22 on line?
I tend to agree that there are more selling now, but did not just start a year ago. Hasn't there always been
a bunch for sale?

Just out of curiosity, did the op factor out the pre shortage for sale amounts of 22 on line?
I tend to agree that there are more selling now, but did not just start a year ago. Hasn't there always been
a bunch for sale?

The pre crazy volume of .22 rimfire on Gun Broker is unknown. What is known is that it wasn't selling for 3 times the price it was purchased for 2 days before it hit Gun Broker.

The main reason for 22LR ammo shortage is because all the guns manufacturing start making 22LR rifles. 10 years ago the only company making 22 LR copy AR was Jager AP74 from Italy. Now every gun manufacturing out there making tactical rifle in 22 LR cal so 22LR ammo got popular and people shoot them more and more so therefore it is shortage. I remember lots of people shoot 22LR ammo on rifle because they said it was too girly. Plus back then 9mm ammo price was cheap, people were shooting fully-auto 9mm. I shot Uzi and MP5 at The Place To Shoot in Portland and we have to buy their ammo to shoot but did not break the bank at all. Now, a full day shooting 9mm fully auto can go up to couple thousands dollars. :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top