JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Tried out the Tricare for life for the first time today. Took my twins to the doctor for a checkup and a flu shot. Left my wife with them while I ran to physical therapy up at the VA Hospital.

When I got back to pick them up, we got to the car and my wife informed me that they had asked if there were any guns in the household. She told them no. Good girl.

I have an appointment there in two weeks, but the wife got irritated with me when I thought of all the colorful things I could respond with...

I will likely just tell them no, but I may tell them that it is absolutely none of their business. What a pain in the butt.

Anyone else had to deal with this yet?

I have not had that asked yet. Good move on your wife's part. I don't think mine would have had the sense to deny.

I vote for colorful response! I wonder if it's only asked when kids go the doctor?

I've worked at the VA in the physical therapy department and I've never asked someone that question. I've never heard anyone else in the department ask that question either.

My first thought was to ask them if they had any guns in their house...and when they respond that, it's none of my business, or that we aren't talking about them, then I will just return the sentiment.

The problem is, any response other than "no", will get a yes marked on the page....and possibly a mark on some list. That is my concern.

Havent yet...

My wife would have possably been on the non o your business types. She hates questions like that, and quite well have the mind to never go back to that doc.

Love my wife!

My first thought was to ask them if they had any guns in their house...and when they respond that, it's none of my business, or that we aren't talking about them, then I will just return the sentiment.

The problem is, any response other than "no", will get a yes marked on the page....and possibly a mark on some list. That is my concern.

We are members of a firearms site...we are on a list.

You do not need to be rude to the Doc. Just be truthful...it really is none of his business. I myself will be polite but firm.

Im not a pediatrician so I dont ask my patients about guns. But from a pediatric point of view it is similar question to asking if the kids are exposed to second hand smoke or if they wear seat belts or up to date on vaccines

Kids do get shot accidentally so they goal of the pediatrician is to keep the kids safe.
only 1/3 of people who have kids and firearms at home report safe storage
Firearm ownership and storage patterns among fami... [Pediatrics. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

should it be up to a doctor to recommend safe storage to prevent accidents? I guess that is a bigger question. But I doubt there is a sinister motive here. Just say "no" if you prefer and keep your kids safe.

Yeah, trust me, I'm on a list. Military involvement since '94, I'll leave it at that. All good though.

I'm a pretty polite guy, but I wont tell them I have anything. I may however tell them no, and that it would be no concern of theirs, or anyone else, if I did.

I will tell them that it is absolutely none of their business. They may have the right to ask. I have the right not to answer.
And refusing to answer will probably be marked as a "Yes" on their forms.

But it's none of their business unless they're offering a gun safety course to everyone.

The problems is, as I raised in another thread here, is that it will be used in future to segregate out gun owners and pay higher rates for higher risk factors, just like the Oregonian is reporting for smokers (see the front page of today's Oregonian). They just need to do more "junk" studies to "prove" it now that Obwan has proclaimed that such studies will be funded.

Doc...Did you and your wife have sex recently?
Me... Sorry, but that's none of your business.

Doc...Do you stand or sit when you urinate?
Me... Sorry, but that's none of you business.

Doc.... Chevy or Ford?
Me...Sorry,.....

:D

Im not a pediatrician so I dont ask my patients about guns. But from a pediatric point of view it is similar question to asking if the kids are exposed to second hand smoke or if they wear seat belts or up to date on vaccines

Kids do get shot accidentally so they goal of the pediatrician is to keep the kids safe.
Firearm ownership and storage patterns among fami... [Pediatrics. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

should it be up to a doctor to recommend safe storage to prevent accidents? I guess that is a bigger question. But I doubt there is a sinister motive here. Just say "no" if you prefer and keep your kids safe.

none of their d-m business on those questions also, their job it to fix what is wrong also if they persist you should tell them that you will report them to the medical board for a boundary violation.

And refusing to answer will probably be marked as a "Yes" on their forms.

But it's none of their business unless they're offering a gun safety course to everyone.

The problems is, as I raised in another thread here, is that it will be used in future to segregate out gun owners and pay higher rates for higher risk factors, just like the Oregonian is reporting for smokers (see the front page of today's Oregonian). They just need to do more "junk" studies to "prove" it now that Obwan has proclaimed that such studies will be funded.

they better be certified if they do that

I just wouldn't appreciate being put in a position to have to lie just because I am exercising my 2A right as an American to own a gun. To me there is something fundamentally wrong with that. And I do think this info will be used eventually for nefarious purposes such as raising insurance rates or worse. One just has to look around and see how smokers or overweight people are being demonized. To me it's a slippery slope.

What? It is the Docs job to keep who safe? We see a Doc like what, once or twice a year and how are they helping me to keep My kids safe?

It's considered preventive care. I like to check cholesterol levels before the patient has a heart attack, rather than after its too late. Like I said, it's a bigger question if the docs should even bother on firearms. I don't ask my patients unless we are comparing hardware. I don't ask my patients if they wear seat belts. I do offer advice if they ask about preventive testing.

If someone refuses to answer a question I don't mark "yes". I just don't record anything.

Why even take the kids in for a well child check? Just wait until they get sick. That's an option too

None of my colleagues are gun grabbin secret Obama Gestapo. We just want to see our patients healthy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top