JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had a Tuarus PT92 that I traded for a while back - it was a good gun. I am not a Tuarus lover - I cycle thier revovlers and to me they feel cheap in comparison to my older S&W and Colts and I know it is not a fair comparison considering the price. I am willing to pay a bit more for a refined pistol that builds confidence when I pull the trigger. I do not get the feeling of confidence that I desire when I handle a polymer pistol especially a Tuarus. To me I place Rossi, RG and Taurus in the same category. I think that some models of Tuarus are decent for the price. I like thier 92 and the 1911 but by the time I get into those price ranges I will go for a Beretta or a Kimber. I just dont see anything that i really like in most Tuarus pistols. Some people feel that way about 3rd gen S&W, others feel that way about Kimbers or Beretta's. I just dont get the warm fuzzy from A Tuarus. I may change my mind some time but dont see it happening.

James Ruby

I currently own 3 Taurus pistols. A model 431 in .44 spl, a model 85ss2UL in .38spl+p and a Millenium Pro 24/7 in .45. I have never had a problem with any of them. I also had a PT92 in 9mm back in the day but traded it off. For the price and warranty service available I'll buy another on any time.

Funny, we don't remember asking you!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Just hackin' on ya! ;)

Well for the statement made in the title for this threat to be accurate "Everybody" should mean everybody was asked or voted or something. I seriously doubt very few people if any were involved in "EVERYBODY"

LOL

Most people on here are fairly gun agnostic, except for the S&W politics thing which causes a stir. Ive used a few Taurus handguns but never owned any and they all seemed fine to me. Some could have used a bit of refinement but then a lot of weapons could have that said about them. My favorite Taurus is a Stainless steel 357 revolver a budy of mine has, nice to hold, easy to fire, Id get one just like it if it was around for a good price.

Their adjustable rear sights breaks on two ive owned. After shooting over 1000 rounds of 357 the bolt/cylinder lockup was very loose, to the point of shaving lead. Exact same thing happened on a md 44.

THeir Judge is tempting, but I look at the cylinder play in the new ones and it will only get loose.

I do still have one of there older 44's and love it.......some of the others not so much. Most of my problems have been little, and I have has similar problems with other brands..

IF they work, great. They have a fantastic warranty. The problem is that they need it more often than other manufacturers I've owned, shot, and sold.

I've owned several Taurus, mostly revolvers, with a few autos. I've had one cracked frame on a .44 Mag Air-Weight using standard ammo. One .38 special that functioned okay, but had a gritty feeling trigger. One .17 HM2 that was just junky. Two of the three went back to the factory. A friend had a .45 ACP auto-gun that needed to go back a couple of times.

In my experience as a gunsmith, I've had the sideplate off several revolvers. The interiors are not quality. The trigger and hammer pins are not swaged (sp?) into the frame, they're just set in. The design has cut every cost saving corner possible. Some don't effect quality, some do. They don't compare to an older S&W or Colt. They honestly probably don't compare to a newer S&W, although they are closer. S&W's QC has slipped, Taurus's has improved some. But I would still take a new S&W over a Taurus. The auto-guns I just won't own. I don't really care for the 92g style frame mounted safety, compared to the slide mounted 92fs style, so there isn't anything a Taurus does for me. Just my .02$ on the autos.

From a salesman standpoint, it's scary how many Taurus were sent back before making it to the display case. The shop I worked in did a good amount of sales in Taurus, but I'd say at least 5% of the guns went back immediately. Cylinder issues, non-cut chambers, safety issues, etc. Most were caught, some were not (we sold a judge that had one uncut chamber in the cylinder).

From the standpoint of a budget gun, I prefer to stick with Ruger. The revolvers are more robust, and I prefer the design and function of the auto guns from Ruger.

All guns have their lemons. Some companies deal with it better than others. Taurus is GENERALLY really good at warranty issues. But personally, I want a company that gives me a lifetime warranty because they never think that their product will fail...

I own a rossi built by taurus under braziltech or something like that I don't know it's confussing to me too. It'll fail to fire on the regular my buddy owns a very similar model and it does the same thing and but his has horrible fitting and my other buddy has a taurus semi 40 and you'd be lucky to hit a 2x2' target at 10yrds mushy trigger and bad finish

I love my PT-1911 AR and haven't had but a couple of issues with it on 5 years with over 4000 rounds thru it.

1. No one makes a holster for the AR version since it's rails are different than the rest of the rail for 1911's.
2. Slide stop pin doesn't engage after last round/locked open. Tried ordering a couple of different pins to replace it and none of them fit properly.

IF they work, great. They have a fantastic warranty. The problem is that they need it more often than other manufacturers I've owned, shot, and sold.

I've owned several Taurus, mostly revolvers, with a few autos. I've had one cracked frame on a .44 Mag Air-Weight using standard ammo. One .38 special that functioned okay, but had a gritty feeling trigger. One .17 HM2 that was just junky. Two of the three went back to the factory. A friend had a .45 ACP auto-gun that needed to go back a couple of times.

In my experience as a gunsmith, I've had the sideplate off several revolvers. The interiors are not quality. The trigger and hammer pins are not swaged (sp?) into the frame, they're just set in. The design has cut every cost saving corner possible. Some don't effect quality, some do. They don't compare to an older S&W or Colt. They honestly probably don't compare to a newer S&W, although they are closer. S&W's QC has slipped, Taurus's has improved some. But I would still take a new S&W over a Taurus. The auto-guns I just won't own. I don't really care for the 92g style frame mounted safety, compared to the slide mounted 92fs style, so there isn't anything a Taurus does for me. Just my .02$ on the autos.

From a salesman standpoint, it's scary how many Taurus were sent back before making it to the display case. The shop I worked in did a good amount of sales in Taurus, but I'd say at least 5% of the guns went back immediately. Cylinder issues, non-cut chambers, safety issues, etc. Most were caught, some were not (we sold a judge that had one uncut chamber in the cylinder).

From the standpoint of a budget gun, I prefer to stick with Ruger. The revolvers are more robust, and I prefer the design and function of the auto guns from Ruger.

All guns have their lemons. Some companies deal with it better than others. Taurus is GENERALLY really good at warranty issues. But personally, I want a company that gives me a lifetime warranty because they never think that their product will fail...

Thanks for the 'smith perspective. Perhaps I have one of the few lemons.

Well like I figured.. this has been interesting.

I'm very happy with my Taurus. Perhaps I have gotten that 50% of the newer/quality ones (mid 2000's if memory serves). Not being a gunsmith, I have not stripped it to bare screws. Nor do I have enough experience if I did to compare to make an educated decision as to long term quality workmanship. That being the case, I do know that I have put thousands of rounds through mine with no malfunctions and am happy with the accuracy.

In a forum, lots of folks have opinions - as do I. I saw a recent post that stated no Taurus so I wondered why many say that Taurus is crap.

Thanks everyone for the input :)

i need no more evidence that taurus sucks, than somebody that makes a statement like, why does everyone hate on taurus.

with so many well made guns on the market, there is no need to take a risk on a taurus. taurus offers nothing that isn't available from another company.

How about this for an arguement: ............. (just for arguement's sake mind you, and to state my position)
I absolutely DETEST the Berreta 92F. I have used it as my secondary weapon for over 15 years in combat and in peace time deployments. I cannot tell you the number of missions that I have left my M-9 at the firebase simply because I cannot understand the concept of carrying several extra pounds of useless metal. Here is why I call it useless:
1. The standard barrel life of the Berretta M-9 (mil-spec mind you) is 15,000 rounds. I put that many rounds through my 9mm in one month at work just doing training! Let alone combat!
2. The locking block on the Beretta M-9 CONSTANTLY breaks. Berratta's website and other websites as well will tell you that the life expectancy is 22,000 rounds for the locking block. I can tell you from experience that it is ALOT less. closer to about 15,000 rounds, give or take 1,000 here or there. I have any where from 6 to 15 spare locking blocks at any given time in my repair kit at work. During a typical training week, we go through 1-3 locking blocks for 12 guys.
3. The frikkin' SLIDE snaps in half! During a typical training month, we go through 1-3 slides as well for 12 guys. But, Berretta has designed a fix for that. They made the Brigadier Slide to compensate for this. So why, tell me, do you need to design a fix for a product that is supposed to be a high-quality weapon and the main sidearm for the primier fighting force in the world?
With all this bashing on Beretta I now turn the conversation to the Taurus:
1. If you are a weapons manufacturing company that sells your product world wide, why not promote your own design and product? Why promote your copy of someone else's design and product when yours might not be all that much of an improvement IF any improvement at all? And why would you choose a POS like the Beretta 92 9mm to copy? And while your at it, why would you use sub-standard materials and QC as has already been discussed in this thread?
So to sum it all up: IF you are going to compare the Taurus to a POS like the Beretta 92 thats fine. Just realize what you're compairing.
I understand that most citizens will never need to put their handgun through the riggors that I have put my work gun through however, if I am going to spend my hard earned money payed for with sweat, blood and tears all shed on foreign soil, then I want something that performs flawlessly and reliably.

Well where do I start? Taurus has a problem with quality that seems to run in cycles. They go for several years with no real problems then for a couple years nothing but problems I will explain.

I have been in and out of the firearms trade for about 30 years now and I use to be a big fan of their revolvers. In the early 90s they where a low price firearm good for light to general users. And for several years we did not have problems with them.

Now on the other hand during that same time the 92 semi-auto was a problem child to a point we would not stock them. Almost every one we got in we had to send back for failing to feed broken extractors and other stuff. Yes they have a great warranty but when I buy a gun I do not want to be quality control that should have been done at the factory.

Now speed up to today I still work weekends behind a gun counter and now the semi-autos seem to be doing good but now the problems are with the revolvers. Over the last 18 months or so we have sent back an average of 3 out of every 5 revolvers before even putting them out. Mainly the judge seems to be the problem child. You would go to pull the hammer back and the cylinder would lock up tight. I mean we had to send it back in the stuck position as it would do nothing else. On several the cylinders once opened would not close without smacking it hard. One 38 special you pull the trigger and it would rotate through 3 of the 5 chambers but the last two you could not pull the trigger hard enough to get it to rotate you had to open the cylinder to get it unstuck.

Our average sales over the last 5 years of Taurus firearms was around 500 a year now we carry a limited number in stock and will only special order one if you want it. Are wholesalers give us a 90 day window to pay for the guns we order and Taurus was taking 3 to 4 months to turn around some of the firearms meaning we had to pay for them before we would get the gun back from repair to sell.

So from my stand point I am not a big fan anymore. The sad part is I feel they have some good Ideas but after dealing with them over the years I just cannot trust them with my life. I have had folks buy them and never have a problem and they have put a lot of rounds down range with them and others buy the same gun and have to send it back 3 times to get it to work for more than a box of shells.

Ive fired a kimber and a sig that both ftf, meanwhile my fathers taurus .38, my pt 1911 and my pt 140 all functioned fine, and I never had to use that excuse of "oh well it just gets picky with ammo" or "oh there is a break in period". It seems like the brand name guns that people gladly over pay for have all the excuses in the world to defend their top dollar pos yet when it comes to "lesser brand names" its strictly the manufacturer or perhaps I just got lucky and had 3 great pistols all different makes models and years that came off the line, somehow by some stroke of luck or perhaps the gun gods favor me and I chose wisely when picking them out?

Spare me the elitist gear and gun BS. Don't get me wrong, I don't buy based just on budget, I buy what feels and shoots right and what the market and demand haven't driven up in price just because of recent popularity.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top