JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My buddy has a Taurus 92 that he loves. He told me every time it breaks Taurus fixes it for free. Another friend had a Taurus 38 that locked up during firing on several occasions even after trips back to the factory. That's enough for me never to own a Taurus.

They have had quality issues in the past, seems like they still do. Never owned one, never will.

but if you believe they are "as good as" have at it, I have a Yugo I'd like you to consider, it's as good as a Mercedes.

I have several Taurus handguns. I bought a PT-92 used at a pawn shop for just over $300 and I love it. I thought I would not like it because it has bad ergonomics (kinda bulky and big). It has shot every type of ammo I have put in it so far.

I also have several 24/7 models in the 9mm flavor. The standard 24/7 is really easy to shoot and have had zero problems with it. I also bought a 9mm Long Slide that jammed way too much and I sold it. I have a 24/7 Compact that doesn't like UMC ammo, but other than that shoots well. My favorite 24/7 is the OSS model. However, the recoil rod fell out while I was shooting it. So it is going to have to go back to the mothership. I really liked the OSS as I was deadly accurate with it, so I'll give it another try when it comes back. I also have a Taurus 9mm revolver that I have never had any problems with. It was my "go to" pistol for quite some time.

The bottom line for me is that they have been hit or miss. My first semi-auto 9mm was a S&W 915. That gun jammed way too much and I sold it. I also own a Sig and an FN which are now my primary sidearms. So I guess that YMMV with Taurus based on my experience.

The 605 I just traded for seems to be well made and solid. I have some experience with Taurus as a friend has the .38 special version of mine (mod 84 I think) and it shoots into 3" and 20 yards. It isn't a S & W but the price was right! The jury will be out until I shoot it this weekend.

I love my Taurus 1911....damn thing eats everything I feed it and is dead on accurate! Besides, it's prurrrty and I got a hell of a deal on it......liked it so much I bought a second one for my son.

How about this for an arguement: ............. (just for arguement's sake mind you, and to state my position)
I absolutely DETEST the Berreta 92F. I have used it as my secondary weapon for over 15 years in combat and in peace time deployments. I cannot tell you the number of missions that I have left my M-9 at the firebase simply because I cannot understand the concept of carrying several extra pounds of useless metal. Here is why I call it useless:
1. The standard barrel life of the Berretta M-9 (mil-spec mind you) is 15,000 rounds. I put that many rounds through my 9mm in one month at work just doing training! Let alone combat!
2. The locking block on the Beretta M-9 CONSTANTLY breaks. Berratta's website and other websites as well will tell you that the life expectancy is 22,000 rounds for the locking block. I can tell you from experience that it is ALOT less. closer to about 15,000 rounds, give or take 1,000 here or there. I have any where from 6 to 15 spare locking blocks at any given time in my repair kit at work. During a typical training week, we go through 1-3 locking blocks for 12 guys.
3. The frikkin' SLIDE snaps in half! During a typical training month, we go through 1-3 slides as well for 12 guys. But, Berretta has designed a fix for that. They made the Brigadier Slide to compensate for this. So why, tell me, do you need to design a fix for a product that is supposed to be a high-quality weapon and the main sidearm for the primier fighting force in the world?
With all this bashing on Beretta I now turn the conversation to the Taurus:
1. If you are a weapons manufacturing company that sells your product world wide, why not promote your own design and product? Why promote your copy of someone else's design and product when yours might not be all that much of an improvement IF any improvement at all? And why would you choose a POS like the Beretta 92 9mm to copy? And while your at it, why would you use sub-standard materials and QC as has already been discussed in this thread?
So to sum it all up: IF you are going to compare the Taurus to a POS like the Beretta 92 thats fine. Just realize what you're compairing.
I understand that most citizens will never need to put their handgun through the riggors that I have put my work gun through however, if I am going to spend my hard earned money payed for with sweat, blood and tears all shed on foreign soil, then I want something that performs flawlessly and reliably.

I can appreciate your stance and as far as I am personally concerned anyone in and uniform in service of this country should have the best gear period. If the weapon malfunctions that much it should be replaced with a more robust weapon.

It is highly unlikely I will ever put the weapon thru similar rigors you have ever. Heck im a rifle shooter anyway. I bought the pistol, because my Father had one and It always worked well for me when I used it. It was the first pistol i ever bought. For me (a civilian) I have put thousands of rounds through it without a malfunction of any type, but not tens of thousands of rounds through it.

I posed the question due to seeing many people say something similar to "trade for anything but taurus" I wanted to know why since I have not had a negative experience with mine.

This Glock vid was after 1,000,000 rds, extensive torture testing and being buried in mud in the backyard for 2 years. try this with your Taurus and get back to us

Last edited by a moderator:
If a gun can't withstand something as simple as firing with an obstructed barrel, it's not a quality firearm plain and simple. The implication I left open for others was that Taurus' are simply not quality guns because of their cheaper construction. And being able to handle a squib load is not "stupid". It's a nice safety feature to have in case of... SQUIBS!

this is quite possibly the dumbest thing ive ever seen posted on a gun forum.

This Glock vid was after 1,000,000 rds, extensive torture testing and being buried in mud in the backyard for 2 years. try this with your Taurus and get back to us

[/QUOTE
Provide me with 1, 000, 000 rounds and ill gladly test mine for ya! :) still over pay for a plastic gun. I like glocks as well as springfield xds but I give taurus credit too. Like anything, with all testing I literally need to see x amount of rounds fired consecutively as well as a time lapsed 2 year mud bath/ burial to believe it.

[/QUOTE
Provide me with 1, 000, 000 rounds and ill gladly test mine for ya! :) still over pay for a plastic gun. I like glocks as well as springfield xds but I give taurus credit too. Like anything, with all testing I literally need to see x amount of rounds fired consecutively as well as a time lapsed 2 year mud bath/ burial to believe it.

It's the most famous and well-documented Glock test on line over at glocktalk.com

I've got a Taurus 85 Ultralite in .38 special, that I've had for about 10 years, and probably a thousand or so rounds through it without any troubles at all. It was my daily carry piece for years, and I never had a problem.

People seem to like the Taurus Judge alright. I knew a guy with a PT1911 and he liked it.

Btw, doesn't Springfield make 1911's in Brazil?

They like it because of all the hype and the false impression that .410 out of a rifled pistol barrel is some sort of a bad manstopper

It isn't, in any way and the Judge is A HUGE, heavy 5 shot 45 LC at best

The only thing I don't like about them is purely cosmetic. I just don't like how they brand there stuff. Its so big and loud. Besides that I have no problem with them, I have a number of friends with them and have shot most of them and cant say I wasn't happy with how they shot.

I was thinking I should write Taurus a letter of thanks... I own a cowboy action that fires .45 long colt, and use to suck hunting ammo down. Now I can go into almost any firearms retailer, heck even walmart has .45long colt in stock, heck the other day I picked up a box of jacketed hollow points for my cowboyaction! Thanks to taurus and the "judge" I can shoot ammo other than 250grain lead slugs! So they helped me out!

Well, I'm no gunsmith and my experience is fairly limited. One friend has a 6 shot .357 (66?) he bought about 1986 and a 5 shot .38 Special (85?) that he bought around 1990. He still owns the guns and has had zero problems with them. The .357 was a nicely finished gun and had a phenomenal single action trigger, with a very smooth double action. Maybe not as nice as my 686, but very workable. It also held up nicely to a few cylinders of WAY over pressure .357 rounds. The snubby seemed to be the equal of my Model 60 Smith. A couple of other friends have a 92 and a lightweight 85 that they like a lot. The 92 is a "play thing" but the 85 gets carried everyday by a man that won't tolerate unreliable items.
My daughter, wife and I all have Taurus TCP 380 pistols. One of them gave us feeding problems until I polished a rough edge leading into the chamber.
The Taurus handguns we have are the least expensive handguns we own, but I don't think of them as "cheap".
I suppose my family and I have been fortunate with our Taurus handguns.

Well now... That was pretty cool. I wonder, were they all shooting the same ammo? Were the few stoppages due to the ammo, or the gun? Seemed like the stoppages got more frequent towards the end of the 500 round cycle. I'm sure it got hot! No matter what, that was impressive after being buried and not lubed. I'm sure the rust in the barrel is gone!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads