JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for sharing that Andy. Nice to hear good news from time to time. I've been around and interacted with some special needs folks over the years. It can be very frustrating, difficult and rewarding. Not many folks can or will take on that challenge. Good on you for doing it so these kids don't get left behind.

I was fortunate to have a few teachers growing up that made a big impact on me. My 6th grade teacher and I really seemed to bond, he was into photography, as was I. He had a small darkroom set up in the closet in our classroom and would let small groups of us learn to use the equipment. He was patient and kind and made learning fun. Mr. Goodwin. He was also the person that was called out of class suddenly one day to reappear and have to explain to us that President Reagan had been shot. The rest of the day was spent trying to help a bunch of 6th graders understand what that meant and that things would be okay. He also had the unfortunate task of sharing that one of our classmates wouldn't be returning to our class after his mother had drowned in front of him the day before. Again, trying to explain a difficult situation to a bunch of kids. He handled it with grace and calm.

I did have some teachers that made me hate school, but for the most part, they were good. In our school, every teacher (or teacher's aide, custodian, librarian, etc.) was Mr., Mrs. or Miss. No informal addresses were used. It's unfortunate, but I think the days of more formal address are slipping away.

Thank you everyone for their kind words.
I would like to say that the thread wasn't really meant to be about me...
( I hope it didn't come across that way )

It was more about my two students who come to school every day with issues of one sort or another...struggling to understand this world which we can , at times take for granted.
Their day can be filled with frustration and confusion...yet they come each day and try....try to work and trying to understand themselves and the world around them.

My students are some of the bravest individuals that I know...willing coming to school with all of its confusing, frustrating meanings , moments and having a tough time , with as I said , many things that you and I take for granted...they do this each school day and still come back the next day.
This isn't to say that some days aren't better than others or that we never have a "bad" day...but those do not number as much as the good days...
Andy

Thank you everyone for their kind words.
I would like to say that the thread wasn't really meant to be about me...
( I hope it didn't come across that way )

It was more about my two students who come to school every day with issues of one sort or another...struggling to understand this world which we can , at times take for granted.
Their day can be filled with frustration and confusion...yet they come each day and try....try to work and trying to understand themselves and the world around them.

My students are some of the bravest individuals that I know...willing coming to school with all of its confusing, frustrating meanings , moments and having a tough time , with as I said , many things that you and I take for granted...they do this each school day and still come back the next day.
This isn't to say that some days aren't better than others or that we never have a "bad" day...but those do not number as much as the good days...
Andy

Either way, I'll never achieve your post to like ratio.

A coworker of mine used to be a vice principal. He jokes that he went into LE to haunt certain people through their adulthood.

Not really sure he was joking.

Mr. insert name here. Yep, that's what my kids call me too. Took them about four months to figure out my real name.

All kids are a blessing to teach, and I do mean that. Sometimes it's extra cool when you see a kid who struggles scholastically or socially finally clicking something into place.

It's a trip. I was suspended from school well over a dozen times and expelled at least once (a second was inevitable without a cross country move). I had family and teachers that kept with me, and now I am a gunsmith and a teacher. It's nice to have that example for students who aren't sure what they are doing matters. Love hearing success stories like your students, thanks Andy.

Andy, would that there'd been one or two more like you in my 7-12 academic career... good on ya.

Funny thing... never did anything with it but my Shop teacher was really trying to nudge me to look into gunsmithing, even tried to suggest I look into an AR blank as a Machine Shop project. "Just don't have an upper and lower on school property at the same time..." P. S., wherever you are out there, miss ya, man.

Yeah, it seems that calling teachers by their first name isn't that big of a deal these days. My favorite teacher in HS had a last name that started with McJ****** and we all called him Mac. He preferred it. :)
my dad was raised in a very conservative catholic hawaiian family during the 60s in hawaii. moved to oregon in 1970. mom was raised by norwegian farmers/okies... lol. the way i was raised, it was yes sir, yes maam. my brother and i would get the wooden spoon and the belt when we misbehaved. also, my dad raised me to address close friends of his and mom's as auntie and uncle. in the hawaiian culture, that is a sign of respect. still do to this day.

my point is, its just odd to me how kids are callin teachers by their first name and such sometimes and havesuch lack of respect for elders these days!!!

@AndyinEverson the world needs more teachers like yourself!!! i like how you are teaching them to put stuff away where it belongs. in my profession, its CRITICAL for me to know where ALL of my tools are!! what you do will go a long way with kids!!

those who know me personally prob never would have guessed im 1/2 blooded hawaiian LOL. also, if you met my brother youd be like WTF!? no way....
he got the dark skin like dad. im white like mom.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top