JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With all the conflicting ideas and emotions regarding School shootings , arming teachers and what not...I'd thought I'd post what I did in school today....

I took two of my kids to wood shop ...we planned our projects...and helped work on some other classmates projects...one of my students has never worked with saws , routers , sanders and the like...the other one has a bit of experience...
Both worked hard today either by helping others or getting enough confidence to operate the sliding compound miter saw...
Both also learned about cleaning the tools and putting them back where they belong.
We all survived with digits and limbs still attached...:D

What's the big deal you might ask...?
Well I teach in a Special Needs / Life skills Class and many people don't tend to give my students enough trust or credit in their ability to do those sorts of things...
( Not in my school , I'm talking about the world and people outside of school ... )
It was neat to watch both of them apply what we have talked about in classroom to the wood shop.
Things like :
Listen and do not talk over people...
No one really likes a "Know it all "...
If you kindly help others...you might make a friend...
When you pay attention to detail and work hard its gets noticed...
Some folks really aren't interested in the things that you are ...and that's okay...no need to make a big deal about it...

With both of these students trust is huge with them ...we have talked about many things...including a bit about the recent school shootings.
Having them understand:
That sometimes bad things happen...
The world is often a hard place with things that seem "unfair" or even scary...
That you will not always come in first or get what you want...

But that if you do what you can , with what you have , to the best of your ability...then you can help yourself , make you and your part of the world better.

It was good to see them apply what they learned today..
That's it...nothing earth shattering unless you are those two students...and have to go through life like they do...
Just wanted to post some good school news....
Andy

Yeah, it seems that calling teachers by their first name isn't that big of a deal these days. My favorite teacher in HS had a last name that started with McJ****** and we all called him Mac. He preferred it. :)

Yeah, it seems that calling teachers by their first name isn't that big of a deal these days. My favorite teacher in HS had a last name that started with McJ****** and we all called him Mac. He preferred it. :)

He used to come to our house for get togethers, but by no means did that turn into an "Easy A". I had a full time swing shift job my junior and senior year and at one point got behind due to lack of sleep. Mac showed up at my work (I pumped gas) and went over some of the curriculum I was struggling with while I didn't have any cars to fill. Yeah, he was one of the good ones, as you are Andy. :)

I prefer to be addressed as Mr....but again its not that huge of a deal...I have enough command and control in my class room that the level of respect shown to me and by my students to each other , that a slip of a name isn't that big of a deal...
Andy

It is rewarding to both show respect to my students and have them show respect to me...amazing what a little bit of straight no BS talk and trust earned / given , can do for a kid...
Andy

You're a man after my own heart, Andy. If I run into people that have taught me, I still refer to him/her as Mr., Mrs, Miss., Ms. This is done with respect to what they have achieved in life. They earned that respect. (I was raised right).

Great post Andy! I taught for a couple of years also. One of the most rewarding experiences was seeing the Ah Ha moment when they finally understood the concept or worked together to get something done. We need a little more of that in this country!

With all the conflicting ideas and emotions regarding School shootings , arming teachers and what not...I'd thought I'd post what I did in school today....

I took two of my kids to wood shop ...we planned our projects...and helped work on some other classmates projects...one of my students has never worked with saws , routers , sanders and the like...the other one has a bit of experience...
Both worked hard today either by helping others or getting enough confidence to operate the sliding compound miter saw...
Both also learned about cleaning the tools and putting them back where they belong.
We all survived with digits and limbs still attached...:D

What's the big deal you might ask...?
Well I teach in a Special Needs / Life skills Class and many people don't tend to give my students enough trust or credit in their ability to do those sorts of things...
( Not in my school , I'm talking about the world and people outside of school ... )
It was neat to watch both of them apply what we have talked about in classroom to the wood shop.
Things like :
Listen and do not talk over people...
No one really likes a "Know it all "...
If you kindly help others...you might make a friend...
When you pay attention to detail and work hard its gets noticed...
Some folks really aren't interested in the things that you are ...and that's okay...no need to make a big deal about it...

With both of these students trust is huge with them ...we have talked about many things...including a bit about the recent school shootings.
Having them understand:
That sometimes bad things happen...
The world is often a hard place with things that seem "unfair" or even scary...
That you will not always come in first or get what you want...

But that if you do what you can , with what you have , to the best of your ability...then you can help yourself , make you and your part of the world better.

It was good to see them apply what they learned today..
That's it...nothing earth shattering unless you are those two students...and have to go through life like they do...
Just wanted to post some good school news....
Andy

Thank you .... "Mr followed by my last name..." Nice to hear good news like this. :s0155::s0155:

God Bless You Andy. Thank you for putting out a positive and helpful voice. It may be drowned out in the current noise outside, but it touched my heart. My son also faced real challenges and the teachers that helped will always hold a special place in our lives.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top