JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A quick internet search..... the 6 1/2 are small rifle primers (223/556, 300 black out, etc). The 8 1/2 are large rifle primers (308, etc).

If they are from 1972 I'd load 5-10 and try them. They might be bad after all these years. Not necessarily from age, but possible storage conditions.

A friend of mine [thought] he scored 14000 magnum large pistol primers. They are bad. Solid primer hits but no BANG. :(

A quick internet search..... the 6 1/2 are small rifle primers (223/556, 300 black out, etc). The 8 1/2 are large rifle primers (308, etc).

If they are from 1972 I'd load 5-10 and try them. They might be bad after all these years. Not necessarily from age, but possible storage conditions.

A friend of mine [thought] he scored 14000 magnum large pistol primers. They are bad. Solid primer hits but no BANG. :(
Look like new and boxes look new. Stored in ammo can here in the desert

Any idea what brand and age of the 14000 lpm primers they were?

This is from my friend. When he bought them, he stored them. The question he has is how they were stored at the gun shop before he bought them.

"Primers are Winchester Large Pistol, suitable for standard or magnum loads. They are stored in waterproof GI ammo cans in an air-conditioned home in California so there is no reason to believe they would degrade. I use the same primers in all sorts of other calibers with no problems."

I've used old primers many times over the years, even some really old ones in wooden trays. I've used some with water-stained boxes.

Only once have I ever had any that were simply bad- several boxes of Remington 6 1/2 primers. The boxes looked like they had been exposed to something, had some stains on them. I loaded some in empty brass and popped them; they went off and sounded ok, but when shooting them in live ammo I had a very high rate of misfire. When I pulled the duds apart, I found that the primers had gone off, but not ignited the powder. The powder at the based was clumped but not burnt. I even tried them in 9mm ammo with easier-to-ignite pistol powder- same thing. I ended up throwing them out.

I have no idea what they had been exposed to, but whatever it was, it seriously weakened the flame. I had gotten them for almost nothing at a gun show, a couple years ago when primers were cheap and plentiful.

If you're wondering whether they're good prime up a bunch of shells and then push them into a block of paraffin wax. Makes for fun short range shooting . Had a retired Border Patrol agent do this and he set up a range in his garage.

the 6 1/2 are small rifle primers (223/556, 300 black out, etc)

Negative. Read this:

And many other places. The 6-1/2 were originally formulated for .22 Hornet, which works at lower pressures than .17 Rem., .222 Rem., 223. Rem., and surely 5.56mm. They say "rifle" but are limited in that application. You don't want pierced primers, that ruins bolt faces with hot plasma gases. Have some people used these with .223 Rem.? Of course but you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. If I was desperate enough to use them in .223, I'd load at the low end of the chart, for sure.

I would use the 6 1/2 as substitute for small pistol primers.

This. Which I've done with .357 Magnum. Don't know how well they'd work with striker fired pistols.

Negative. Read this:

And many other places. The 6-1/2 were originally formulated for .22 Hornet, which works at lower pressures than .17 Rem., .222 Rem., 223. Rem., and surely 5.56mm. They say "rifle" but are limited in that application. You don't want pierced primers, that ruins bolt faces with hot plasma gases. Have some people used these with .223 Rem.? Of course but you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. If I was desperate enough to use them in .223, I'd load at the low end of the chart, for sure.

This. Which I've done with .357 Magnum. Don't know how well they'd work with striker fired pistols.
Well I'm desperate so I will be using them ... Can't find any primers locally. I'm going to verify the 8 1/2s are good and hopefully trade them 2-1 for small rifle primers. I have 1500 of them

Negative. Read this:

I don't know either but supposedly the cup thickness is thinner on the 6 1/2s so I am hoping they will work in striker fired pistols too. I have come across two bricks of them in the last few months. I found an out of area member who wants to trade them if we can ever figure out a meet up time. If not I will try them in some striker fired pistols and report back. I have a 1911 and 357 + 38spl revolvers so they should work in those.

Well I'm desperate so I will be using them ... Can't find any primers locally. I'm going to verify the 8 1/2s are good and hopefully trade them 2-1 for small rifle primers. I have 1500 of them
A 2 to 1 trade for small rifle primers would be a good deal for somebody who has small rifle primers to trade. If you were local to me, I would take you up on that.

What are you using the small rifle primers in?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top