JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Driving in the stuff really isn't so hard. Cut speed by 15-25% (for ice , maybe more) is the biggest thing. Don't do anything fast or hard (brake, accelerate, turn). Instead, make small, soft, deliberate adjustments. Look down the road farther than normal and leave extra time to stop. Also if you start to fishtail, turn into it.

Also, keep your head on a swivel for all the morons around you;)

We were supossed to ge hammered by this blizzard, sent home early and all:). It was cold and windy (22 this morning at 4am). Snow was supposed to hit at 9am. Then at 1pm. Then at 3pm. My young crew busted butt to get a small but complicated concrete pour off in hopes of getting off early, getting the job done and going home early in a blizzard. When nary a flake had fallen by 4 o'clock, I gathered them up and told them that the company had cancelled the blizzard for the hanford area in the interest of production:mad:. Their I-phones came out like matt dillons pistol and said it's supposed to be snowing. I told em, like I said, the company cancelled the blizzard:(. What ever weather reports you get on an I-phone, their as phoney as hillary has got it in the bag.:cool:

Snow? No problem.

Ice? Problem. Graveyard duty & ice...yup, big problem. Doesn't take much wet on the roads to have "black ice" conditions.

Got my studded snows on the truck today. Kept putting it off, 'cuz of this or that. Dohhh!

Didn't take much of a wait over at Les Schwabs to do it for us, for free to boot! Had there been a long wait, I would have done it myself back at home. But it's just a heck of a lot easier to have a shop do it while I relax, read a book & drink my coffee.

Snow? No problem.

Ice? Problem. Graveyard duty & ice...yup, big problem. Doesn't take much wet on the roads to have "black ice" conditions.

Got my studded snows on the truck today. Kept putting it off, 'cuz of this or that. Dohhh!

Didn't take much of a wait over at Les Schwabs to do it for us, for free to boot! Had there been a long wait, I would have done it myself back at home. But it's just a heck of a lot easier to have a shop do it while I relax, read a book & drink my coffee.

Don't forget the popcorn! :D

Snow? No problem.

Speaking of tires. I've had a set of studded tires mounted on wheels for the Dodge pickups of my past. Sizes never changed. It was easy to put em on when I needed 'em. I was on call 24 hours a day for many years, and having a vehicle that I could get in and go, without question was reasuring.

I just bought a new Dodge pickup. They now have a real weirdo size, and I can't use the tires that I've had in the past. Regardless of the price of this new size, which is outrageous, the tire stores don't stock them. So just today after visiting multiple tire stores including Les Schwab, I had to special order them. Wont be here til next week.

The auto companies don't do us any favors by continually changing tire sizes, but I bet the tire companies love it.

WAYNO.

1978 - the Columbia and Snake did freeze over. It was -22*F

I was there (tri-cities).

Very cold. Not the coldest place I have been (Anchorage -33*F), but plenty cold.

I was up in Pasco for a Cenex training program in 1978. Somewhere I have pictures of the Columbia frozen over in the Bonneville and John Day pools that I took driving back to Portland.

As a red blooded male that likes big steaks, beer, double d boobs, guns that kick, and fast cars (see the hobbies thread) I love this stuff. I was offering snow and ice driving lessons in my excursion today... none of the folks took me up on it.

On my way home from work today, I saw an excursion all smashed to hell on the freeway. It was wedged inbetween 2 semis and a horse trailer and a guy pulling a camp trailer... A guy driving a U-Haul was facing the wrong direction too. I don't know who caused that accident, but the excursion suffered the worst damage....

I was up in Pasco for a Cenex training program in 1978. Somewhere I have pictures of the Columbia frozen over in the Bonneville and John Day pools that I took driving back to Portland.

It destroyed most of the aids to navigation - especially the fast water buoys near the upper side of the dams. They were still repairing them the middle of the next summer when I was transferred to Newport. There were steel pilings that were bent over from the ice after it broke up.

We the few, we few who have survived the slushpocalypse, are just now digging out of our heavily insulated underground bunkers to see what is left of civilization in the Pacific Northwest. I expect I will awake screaming at times dreaming of the horrors of my pant leg getting within INCHES of the awful slush.

They laughed at me when I bought case after case of Nacho Doritos, Pepsi, and Snickers. Laughed, I say, laughed! Now, as I gaze upon the glistening wet ruins of neighborhood, tears of grief streaming down my cheeks, I can't even bring myself to shout "I TOLD YOU SO, YOU DUMASSES!!!". If only they had listened to me, instead of condescendingly saying "3M, did you take your happy pills today? Are you sure?" they may well have survived where others perished.

I am greatly heartened to see so many of my Forum Brothers have survived to write about their close brush with wet, icy death this day. Together, we shall go forth and rebuild civilization and repopulate humanity. I have already ventured forth to see see if there are any surviving females in likely places such as bars and t.averns in need of assistance with the repopulation effort, but so far all I have found appear to be some sort of subhuman mutants that hide behind their bar stools and throw their glasses at me me when I offer my assistance.

Despite such hardships I trust we will persevere and eventually, perhaps within our lifetimes, put this tragedy behind us.

Damn, I wish I had some doritos right now...

Grew up in the SW hills in the 50's & 60's, moved away for a long time and then came back in 2002 to buy the same house on the same hill at 600' MSL.

Nothing was cooler when I was a kid than a day off school to go sledding. We could glide all the way from Council Crest, where the KGON tower is now, to Piggly Wiggly in Hillsdale, an epic slide by any standard. Tromping up the hill after work today, I saw dozens of kids sledding and snowboarding on the thickening ice. Problem was they had to look out for yahoos in H2's, AWD SUVs and 4WD trucks racing up and down the hills. That simply wasn't an issue in 1965.

Then by 1970, every teen knew someone with a 4WD pickup that could get around, even in the hills. Who else here remembers hooky bobbing?

Anyhow, besides the ratio of "go-anywhere" vehicles today, the other issue this century is crippling overpopulation. I think it was January 2010 when several inches of snow fell during the day and people were stranded on roads all around Portland after work, fender benders, slipping off the crown of the road and running out of gas sitting on freeways. I tried to get somewhere nearby (4WD), and got stuck in a traffic gridlock because of all the tire-spinning vehicles that just couldn't move. I was lucky enough to park, walk home and go fetch my car at midnight. Too many damn rats in the cage here IMHO.

So, was today's frozen drizzle a case of much ado about very little? Perhaps. But seeing schools and businesses shut down as a precaution when icy weather is forecast to hit during the work/school day, is probably a sound decision. That's my take anyway.

snow 2016.JPG
snow 2010.JPG

Last Edited:
Just watched one of those crash videos, sure can tell who the dumbazzes in this world are. Why in He!l Would any one even try going up hill or down with out traction aids is beyond me! 4X4 doesn't mean you can go when it's slick ice, and it sure doesn't stop any better! Studs would have been helpful, and chains even better! Best to not even try with all the other idiots on the roads!

Too many Idiots in Subaru's and Audi's and all the other Awd stuff that think they can go any where they want. Stoopid Yuppies sipping Starbucks and texting while driving with no traction devices! Down here, the Cops will give you a ticket for reckless driving if you do not have studs, or chains on your rig. Snow tires are required at the minimum, but if the signs are out requiring traction devices that means CHAINS, Not just studs, you gets a big ticket and have to go before the county judge, first timers get driving instruction class as part of the fine, second timers get double fines and licence suspension for 1 Year!

As a tow op, I hated snow. I still do, maybe moreso now that I'm driving a smaller pickup for work. Less metal surrounding me, shielding me from stupid people.

Worst part was the sheer numbers of idiots - clueless idiots who believe the commercials and the salesman's BS at the dealership about the glories of 4WD or AWD - they always left off the part about the laws of physics still applying despite your nifty 4x4 drivetrain. All Wheel Drive does NOT mean you can stop any faster without traction devices. Idiots on the freeway doing 55 on the ice passing people, weaving in and out. I can't count how many times today alone I almost got hit, or had someone fly past me only to swerve in front and hit their brakes. Never failed, my first in-the-ditch calls were either Subarus or jacked up pickups.

And the people who drive up hills without traction devices, on bald tires - then leave their car in the road without the courtesy or smarts to roll it back down the hill into the ditch or onto the curb. You see it every time it snows a little here - cars abandoned in the traffic lanes on Barnes Rd or Burnside or Skyline. Last year, I went up to Skyline & Germantown to fetch a bunch of cars out of the ditch for AAA. Made it up the hill without chains, but had to stop at the top and chain up before going down Germantown. The first corner down the hill toward 30, some asshat in a U-Haul got scared and parked said U-Haul in the traffic lane and left it. Didn't even leave the keys so someone else could move it. I asked him why the fook he went up Germantown, and he said he was scared of the Sylvan stretch of 26...which is lower in elevation... Portland Fire captain who was walking up and down the hill taking inventory of the number of cars in the ditch, and checking on people, was suuuuper impressed by said U-Haul. It became a race between the franchise owners and Retriever Towing as to who got the truck first. When I started back up the hill, towing the last guy off the hill, that U-Haul had slid from being square in one lane, to blocking both lanes. Got to sit up there for a while until someone got the thing out of the way - as Germantown was closed at the bottom of the hill because of a tree that came down across the road, and took out the powerlines to boot - the franchise owners beat Retriever and they drove the damn thing off the hill, without chains. That was one of many examples of Portlandites way of handling inclement weather.

I remember the first snow storm I worked as a tower, getting called out by Beaverton PD to grab a wreck off 217 near Allen & Denny - the gently curving stretch. There were three other tow trucks pulling cars out of the same spot. One lonely cop standing there, drinking coffee and trying not to freeze. As we were all working to clear up the mess, we watched yet another car coming along without traction devices, hit the ice, and spin out and slide into the K barrier. Cop muttered something, shaking his head while he radioed for yet another rotation tow.

I remember another winter, when I was doing private security work. My very first day with this one company doing alarm response, we get slammed with a pretty good (3-4 inches) flurry and the roads were a mess. I was on my way to the office to pick up my vehicle and begin my shift, and I watched three cars all spin out on 217 and go into the barrier, one dude rolled his car. I don't think any of those people had chains, or brains.

I was glad to see the roads pretty empty today, even tho I didn't make much $$. People maybe, maaaybe getting a clue about not going out unless they absolutely have to when the roads are iffy.

I hope there's a record year for snow up in the mountains, where snow belongs. I could go the rest of 2016, and 2017 without more snow in the valley. The cold weather and bad drivers make me more envious of my dad down in Houston.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews