JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's weird when I was a kid growing up in Portland we got a lot more snow and Ice and they would not close the schools for just snow there had to be a layer of ice with power lines down to close the schools. Must be do to all the Californians moving here freaking out from white stuff falling from the sky.

It is all the people - not just from Calif.

I just don't want to deal with all the idiots who either drive too fast, too slow, brake too hard, stomp on the gas too hard and sit there and spin - and all the people getting into a big traffic jam.

If there were half the people on the roads it wouldn't be so bad, I would maybe actually enjoy getting out and about in the snow, but it is boring and frustrating sitting in a traffic jam. I remember one time the snow hit in Seattle and it took me six hours to get home. Once I got off the highway and onto the back roads then I could make progress.

+1 with your thoughts on that one @The Heretic. I was born in Kansas and you had to know how to drive in the snow. We moved before I could drive but let me tell ya my dad took me out in a big parking lot and taught me how. To this day I'm thankful as heck he did because I would hate to be as stupid as some of the drivers on the road today.

Yea, Come live down here in the Mountains where I reside, You better know how to drive, or your going to end up in bad shape. Tucker_SnoCat_in_Antarctica.JPG

The freezing rain sucked. We got ~ 3 inches of snow and the millennials that work for me were in tears... yes, seriously I had two in tears. Smdh. Home now, driveway cleared, and drinking a Spanish coffee.

So how is it in Portland now? I might have to go to work tomorrow. The Dalles got hammered today and it's still snowing. I-84 was shut down for a while because of a big pile up.

+1 with your thoughts on that one @The Heretic. I was born in Kansas and you had to know how to drive in the snow. We moved before I could drive but let me tell ya my dad took me out in a big parking lot and taught me how. To this day I'm thankful as heck he did because I would hate to be as stupid as some of the drivers on the road today.

Yep, did that with my boy too. Fun and practical! :D

So how is it in Portland now? I might have to go to work tomorrow. The Dalles got hammered today and it's still snowing. I-84 was shut down for a while because of a big pile up.

At my house in NE PDX, it snowed like mad from noon to two then stopped. Freezing rain now but it's very light so far!

Ive had snow since Monday, about an inch, two at times. A lot of ice now, it was freezing rain earlier today. Im in the highlands at about 1100ft. Being that we live out a ways, we shop at Costco and live stocked up. We tend to run out of milk and bread first. Im currently out of .223/5.56 which I am very concerned about because of this weather

I'm up on the hill in Oregon City. 500' elevation, which does make a couple-degrees difference. We got 2 or 3 inches today, but it never got above freezing, so the snow is intact. Tonight it's raining, and still 28-degrees at my house. It's kind've an ice rink.

I grew up in Portland. And in the 50's and 60's, we had more snow. As a young male driver in the sixties, every time it snowed we jumped in our cars to go drive in it. And we learned to drive very well in the snow and ice. Seems folks are not expected to know how to drive in the stuff now, as when there's a pileup, the news says it was caused by the slippery conditions. No, it was caused by folks not knowing how to drive in slippery conditions, or driving beyond their or the vehicles capabilities.

I love the snow. I enjoy road trips in the snow. When my kids were home, we took lots of trips into the mountains in the winter just to play or ski.

Today in town was nice. Folks stayed off the streets and traffic was scarce. Like traffic was in the old days.:cool:

WAYNO.

As a red blooded male that likes big steaks, beer, double d boobs, guns that kick, and fast cars (see the hobbies thread) I love this stuff. I was offering snow and ice driving lessons in my excursion today... none of the folks took me up on it.

We the few, we few who have survived the slushpocalypse, are just now digging out of our heavily insulated underground bunkers to see what is left of civilization in the Pacific Northwest. I expect I will awake screaming at times dreaming of the horrors of my pant leg getting within INCHES of the awful slush.

They laughed at me when I bought case after case of Nacho Doritos, Pepsi, and Snickers. Laughed, I say, laughed! Now, as I gaze upon the glistening wet ruins of neighborhood, tears of grief streaming down my cheeks, I can't even bring myself to shout "I TOLD YOU SO, YOU DUMASSES!!!". If only they had listened to me, instead of condescendingly saying "3M, did you take your happy pills today? Are you sure?" they may well have survived where others perished.

I am greatly heartened to see so many of my Forum Brothers have survived to write about their close brush with wet, icy death this day. Together, we shall go forth and rebuild civilization and repopulate humanity. I have already ventured forth to see see if there are any surviving females in likely places such as bars and t.averns in need of assistance with the repopulation effort, but so far all I have found appear to be some sort of subhuman mutants that hide behind their bar stools and throw their glasses at me me when I offer my assistance.

Despite such hardships I trust we will persevere and eventually, perhaps within our lifetimes, put this tragedy behind us.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads