JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm trapped in the snow, got stuck coming home from work, built myself a survival igloo in the middle of I-205 in the hopes that I can survive this onslaught of dangerous weather. I'll keep in touch as long as my phone survives. For now, I need to forage for more snow for my igloo - with only 1/4" on the ground, I'm having to gather snow in a 1-mile radius just to build what I have :( It's getting cold, well, mildly cold. Tell Joe he can have my used primers if I don't make it.....

I'm trapped in the snow, got stuck coming home from work, built myself a survival igloo in the middle of I-205 in the hopes that I can survive this onslaught of dangerous weather. I'll keep in touch as long as my phone survives. For now, I need to forage for more snow for my igloo - with only 1/4" on the ground, I'm having to gather snow in a 1-mile radius just to build what I have :( It's getting cold, well, mildly cold. Tell Joe he can have my used primers if I don't make it.....
If you make it to 205 & Foster, there's a tent city where you could probably hole up for the evening ;)

Had a box truck flip on its side in near our shop in Vancouver because the bubblegum doesn't know how to drive. Decided to play it safe and close up and let the employees go home early.

Know its raining near Hockinson so its probably going to be ugly in the morning.o_O

I am glad Portland Public closed the schools, I think they made the right decision. There is too much traffic on the roads here in Portland as it is, add a little weather event and traffic turns in to a disaster. Cars pack the wet snow, turning it into ice covered roads... The less people on the roads the better.

My dad told me a story about the big ice storm in the late 70s I remember that because they actually did close the school for more than a day. My dad drove to work and the ice parked his car for him He had come to a stop light and his truck slid side ways and perfectly parked him between 2 other cars missing each by a few inches.

Last Edited:
Wow this is the real thing! Is this "winter storm" the definition of when "SHTF"? Is there really anything to worry about or stock up on for when these events burden our Portlandia eutopia?

View attachment 327704

The "news" lives on panic. Every story is some version of the sky is falling. It's funny to watch but sad that it still works. We were going up north to visit kids this last weekend. I wanted to take the car which is not 4WD. so made appointment to get winter tires mounted. When I go to the shop it took about :30 just to get to the front of the line to tell them I had appointment. The place looked like they had a sign out front saying they were giving away bags of money. Of course 90% of the boobs there on a Sat, with no appointment, after the news telling them the end was near. The shop was VERY professional. Telling them if you get in and pay we will not go home till done, BUT, you are going to be waiting hours. Me I got a cup of good coffee and soon was on the way to pack the car.

I am glad Portland Public closed the schools, I think they made the right decision. There is too much traffic on the roads here in Portland as it is, add a little weather event and traffic turns in to a disaster. Cars pack the wet snow, turning it into ice covered roads... The less people on the roads the better.

Thats probably it. The population was a lot smaller back then.

Plus I think people have just gotten stupider . It's hard enough to text and drive when its sunny let alone when snow is falling

Last Edited:
Early morning snow has turned to freezing rain. I'm watching the icicles grow.

The scene between Monmouth and Dallas:

IMG_0044.PNG

I do laff at some of the comments here about snoh, I really do. Back a few years, one of my relatives in ONT got 'let go' from his job of about twenty years just in time for heading up to Christmas, so any job he could get was good.

He got a job, as he'd done it before, as a school bus driver, with a route around the local townships and down 'the hill' to the high school.

After picking them all up, he headed off, in the snow, clanking like an old tank with the chains all fitted, until all of the sudden, there was a white-out that lasted around half an hour. As it cleared up, he decided to take the kids to school on skis and snow-shoes that they all had with 'em anyhow - a couple of miles at worst.

The day ended early, and meanwhile there had been more snow. He got a skidoo to take him back up to where he thought he had left the bus.

Couldn't find it.

It took THREE days of looking, using avalanche probes in the end, to find the bus under the snow.

And that was in the last week of October...............:eek:

tac

My dad told me a story about the big ice storm in the late 70s I remember that because they actually did close the school for more than a day. My dad drove to work and the ice parked his car for him He had come to a stop light and his truck slid side ways and perfectly parked him between 2 other cars missing each by a few inches.
We used to get this kind of weather at the marina I once owned in the Ozarks. The parking lot was covered with about 1/2" of frozen rain, and it was on a pretty good slope (think boat launching ramp). I had some lumber delivered for a construction project, and when the truck arrived at the top of the parking lot, and came to a halt, and the driver opened his door and started to step out, the truck started sliding sideways toward the lake. The guy was about to jump off the running board and run, but I yelled for him to get back in and step on the brakes. I knew the truck would stop as soon as it got one tire in the water if he would just stick with it. Sure enough, that's what happened. Our company was the only underwater salvage company around, and I didn't really want to be the diver who went went 20 feet down into the 32 degree water to put a chain on that truck so it could be dragged out.

You would think, After all those years living in Utopian Portlandia, People would have learned how to drive when there is a little something falling from the sky, BUT NOPE, Been checking in on yas up there, folks is stoopid, so crack a nother cold and frosty frothy Certaindeaf, and Pizz me a rainbow! LOL You got the best idea going. Last check, I had almost 30 inches on the ground, My Tucker had to grunt slightly to push a pile out of the way so I could get to town for Hot Cocco and a Taco.

Oh, I don't know that deaf has a monopoly on the best idea! I just had a deelicious chili dog, I'm in my cozy rack and when I finish my rum and coke, I'm gonna have a big ole nap! :D

We used to get this kind of weather at the marina I once owned in the Ozarks. The parking lot was covered with about 1/2" of frozen rain, and it was on a pretty good slope (think boat launching ramp). I had some lumber delivered for a construction project, and when the truck arrived at the top of the parking lot, and came to a halt, and the driver opened his door and started to step out, the truck started sliding sideways toward the lake. The guy was about to jump off the running board and run, but I yelled for him to get back in and step on the brakes. I knew the truck would stop as soon as it got one tire in the water if he would just stick with it. Sure enough, that's what happened. Our company was the only underwater salvage company around, and I didn't really want to be the diver who went went 20 feet down into the 32 degree water to put a chain on that truck so it could be dragged out.
Check out these Ruskies going old school awesome..

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews