JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nobody's asking you to be a fan, work there, or patronize their business.

The question is should the government force employers to hire folks that may end up costing them money instead of making them money.

Yup. However, something is legal, or it's not.

Many legal conditions, and habits increase healthcare costs...

Where is the line?

Mind, that nicotine use has been prohibited by some employers for many years. Nothing new here, doesn't mean it's ok tho.

These laws create unemployment.

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 9.05.42 AM.png

When I worked at the Big B I noted that there were people who left the workplace to go outside for a smoke break about every hour. Each smoke break took about 10 min.
10x8=80 min every day spent in non-productive (and arguably destructive) activity.
I got laughs from the peons and frowns from The Man when I pointed this out and asked for 1 single period of 80 minutes to go outside and savor a Churchill cigar the size of a paper towel roll. :D They didn't think it was funny.

A few years ago I went shooting at my club with a couple of interns I was mentoring and got reamed by the director. I was told he would let it go this time because I did not know it was wrong, but if he found out I went shooting with other company employees again, I would be fired. He claimed that because I was shooting with 2 other employees, it would be considered a company event if anyone was hurt. That it did not matter, even if it was after hours or on a weekend, that the company could still be held liable.

My manager was also chastised for sky diving with other company employees for the same reason.

You guys may be joking about some of the things mentioned above, but some companies are acting on these.

Ron

I don't understand the mindset of people that think that they should be free to make adult decisions (which I fully agree with), yet think that others should pay the consequences of their decisions.

Less government is almost always better. If the government was out of mandating healthcare, employers could be free to make deals with smokers, obese people, whatever that said they would pick up the extra premium costs themselves.

Say you were young and single. You could minimize your health insurance and maximize your retirement funding.

Young singles could care less about retirement funding. It is more important to have the biggest car payment you can possibly afford, the latest toys, be able to buy their "dream" house by 32, and take several trips a year. Retirement is a thing light years down the road, they will have plenty of time to save for that, there will not be any bumps in their road, everything will turn out OK. Spend every dime you make, you deserve it and have worked hard for it.

Damn boomers are the ones who have screwed this economy up for them anyway.

When I worked at the Big B I noted that there were people who left the workplace to go outside for a smoke break about every hour. Each smoke break took about 10 min.
10x8=80 min every day spent in non-productive (and arguably destructive) activity.
I got laughs from the peons and frowns from The Man when I pointed this out and asked for 1 single period of 80 minutes to go outside and savor a Churchill cigar the size of a paper towel roll. :D They didn't think it was funny.
Funny schitt right here.
:D

People like to do stuff.
If it negatively affects the rest of the crew, then you have to stop it.
And there's always hurt feelings.
The solution is to not do it in the first place.

Just the other day I had an electrician that was in the habit of having a cup of coffee nearby to sip on while he was supposed to be working.
Even on a good day I don't allow that, but here we are in a restricted area, sensitive electronics, chemicals and gasses.
And of course I had to tell him that wasn't allowed in the work area.
Oh, reeaally ?
Yes, oh really.
We have a dedicated break room and we do that while on break.

They're making around $40 +/- per hour and they should be working and not sipping on coffee or going out for smoke breaks.
I'll quit now before I move on to "radios at the workplace".

:)

I have worked with smokers, the problem is as soon as the boss is gone they are out back sneaking a smoke break while everyone else is still working. How long does it take to smoke a cigarette, 5-10 minutes? So you smoke 1-2 on your lunch break, then 1 for your 15 minute break, what about the rest of the day? if you sneak in 2-3 more that adds up real quick. One company I worked at had a production manager that was a smoker, he came in every Saturday to make up for all his smoke breaks

Twice while I was working for the phone company I started up smoking again because I was working diligently while the other guys were taking smoke breaks outside of normal break times. I asked the managers and union reps about getting the same breaks as the smokers, and they said nope, smokers break because they are addicted and have to smoke and if I wanted the same I had to be a smoker also. Weird 1970s logic. o_Oo_Oo_O

Damn boomers are the ones who have screwed this economy up for them anyway.

Care to explain that statement?

They're making around $40 +/- per hour and they should be working and not sipping on coffee or going out for smoke breaks.
I'll quit now before I move on to "radios at the workplace".

Those are time-wasters, yes, but the equip is also vulnerable as you say.

I've had to explain to jailers, dispatch offices, etc, why people can't smoke around computers, switchboards, comms, or other electronic equipment... they don' like to have their smoking rights infringed. :eek:

I also remember the laughter when I sent out a memo in winter that people should ground themselves before touching their workstations (connected to the mainframe) to discharge static. Oh well.

@bbbass ; I think he was referring to the trend of blaming boomers for causing increased housing prices, college tuitions, wage stagnation, not retiring/allowing them to take their places, absurd credit card debts, no savings.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I hadn't noticed such a trend... but now that several people on this forum have mentioned it... the blame game huh?

It's a private company who can set whatever standards they want for employees. You don't have to work for them if you don't like their policies. Nothing is stopping you from opening your own moving/rental company.
Absolutely correct.
The equivocation in some of the posts here is disturbing.

Members of a firearms forum should applaud the ability of a non-government entity to exercise their own judgment as to what is best practice.

Honestly though.... much of the actual faults can be laid fully on three or so things
1. The doctrine that one is nothing without a college degree ( educational doctrine in the 90s)
2. The notion that "it takes a village to raise a child" and hijacking it into child rearing by committees(State, local schools, youth groups)
3. Teaching children they can be "anything they want to be, regardless of real world consequences"; without teaching discipline/that there are consequences

Its mostly on twitter and other social media sites, very little in actual real world :rolleyes:

Well, I hate to see that garbage here... so many ethical and psychological pathos in blaming others. "Remove the plank from your own eye first".

I didn't know it was "a thing" because I spend so little time on other media. But a quick Google search gave lots of results. One of the more interesting: What To Say When Young People Blame Everything On The Boomers Not that I'm into Huffpo but once in awhile they publish a gem.

We seem to be recycling everything from the 60s... radicalism, hatred of our parents,,,,,,,,,,

I should write a book.... "Why I failed to become the next Bill Gates (or, how I came to suck at the game of life)".... it was Obamas economy, his takeover of the healthcare insurance, my parents, your parents, white people, black people, Jews, professors, Wall Street, Trump, rich people, gentrification, big Pharma, Congress, mom loved my brother best, la la la la la la.....

Seriously, there is a psychological pathology at work in the current culture's blame of "others" for personal problems, lack of progress, lack of achievement, marital distress, political tensions, or any other number of things that can be offput by playing "The Blame Game". It is a basic dishonesty.

(Edit to add: My parents, The Greatest Generation, having survived the depression and fought in WWII, taught me that it is not what happens to me, but what I make happen. That, barring some unfortunate accident or criminal action, I and nobody else am responsible for my life. For success, or lack of success. Because there is always an opportunity somewhere, an action that can be taken, a course that can be planned. And that blaming others is a sure sign of weakness, of a weak mind and spirit.)

Last Edited:
Hey, I'm a boomer, but I made room for snowflakes in the job market as I retired at 45.

I wonder if private companies that won't hire tobacco smokers will hire weed smokers?

With so many states making it legal, the labor pool will be saturated with snowflake weed smokers who complain about boomers not retiring...yeah, spark up a doobie and live with Mom & Dad cuz if employers won't hire tobacco smokers think they're gonna hire you little baked snowflake?

Probably not, but may start recruiting boomers who are merely drink booze, but refrain from wacky terbaccy...

Young singles could care less about retirement funding. ...
I have to disagree with this in a very strong fashion. Just yesterday I was talking with a fellow who wanted me to teach a personal finance course for his employees. At his request I did some quick mental math and realized I've taught that type of class well over 200 times in my career, either at the university level or to private groups. This easily represents over 5,000 individuals, the vast majority in their early 20's.

Virtually all of them started retirement plans of one sort or another, as they discovered the power of compound interest over time. Many of these folks have kept in touch with over the years (decades) and they pretty much to a person not only have continued funding their retirement plans, but have accelerated the amount they have given. This is the common occurrence for others I know teach the same material.

Many of today's young persons see the fallacy of expecting the government to provide for them in retirement. They also see the fallacy in traditional pension plans as well, and are opting for the many defined contribution programs we have available in the market. They prefer to control the outcomes of their labors and life, not leave it to someone else. I know a lot of 30-somethings that have a half million or more in their retirement accounts, and have been able to live at a decent level in the process. They have no intention of slowing their investments. If anything they will build it higher and faster.

Is this the majority of young folks today? It's probably not a true majority, but neither is this the exception to the rule. A great many of the Millennials and Gen Nexters are squared away, level-head, hard working folks who we don't hear much from as they have their heads down working at making the life they want to live become a reality.

Is this the majority of young folks today? It's probably not a true majority, but neither is this the exception to the rule. A great many of the Millennials and Gen Nexters are squared away, level-head, hard working folks who we don't hear much from as they have their heads down working at making the life they want to live become a reality.
That is exactly how it is. Despite how it seems on social media and portrayed in media, most of the people I know in their 30s and entering their 40s , are exactly as described, hard working, level headed people who often have brilliant children and own properties and homes, may not be as large properties or as big homes as used to be, but still comfortable.

Out in the rural areas; most are also second to third generation farmers and ranchers, some are bringing industrial experience such as welding, timber, mechanical works.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top