JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Im not a smoker anymore, unless occasional cigars count.. While I understand a potential reasoning being that they dont want the smell to off-put future clientele or perhaps smell stain vehicles/cardboard boxes.. at the same time.. who is a company to dictate what folks can and can't legally do in their free time? I worked with a lot of folks that didnt smoke on the job but did smoke when they were off or right before work. And what about juul/E-cig consumers? There is little to no smell there but it still has nicotine..

Its every bit as absurd as Bloomberg's soda ban. Companies should not make virtue signaling policies that target individuals and what they do/consume in their free time if it doesnt impact them while on the job. Regardless of "health reasons". Distilled spirits arent a natural element on this earth and are every bit as unhealthy as cigarettes.. Are they going to go full prohibition? they going to ban all drinkers too? When does it end? Perhaps they don't hire folks that eat meat because it "impacts the climate".. perhaps they dont hire gun owners because its a "public safety and health risk"..

Its obnoxious to see companies virtue signal like this.. if it doesn't impact their ability to do a job or present themselves well on a job what should it matter? Odds are this is a publicity stunt and perhaps a way to lessen nation wide insurance throughout the company. I highly doubt its merely for "good intentions".. nothing large companies do is ever for good intentions.. there is some kind of underlying money/insurance reason.

Back when I was working in kitchens, I wouldn't hire smokers either. I never left the line to go outside and sit on my bubblegum for ten minutes every hour for a fresh air break.
U-haul is most likely doing this due to insurance premiums now and in the future. Studies have calculated a different annual cost to employers because of smoking, but regardless of the amount, the reasons are the same: Smokers get sick more and miss more work, and need more medical care, so insurance costs go up.

Smokers also have a higher accident rate, that is why non-smokers pay reduced premiums for auto insurance. Nicotine and the lower levels of saturated oxygen in a smoker's blood reduces visual acuity and slows reaction times. For these reasons alone I can't understand why some serious shooters smoke.

Im not a smoker anymore, unless occasional cigars count.. While I understand a potential reasoning being that they dont want the smell to off-put future clientele or perhaps smell stain vehicles/cardboard boxes.. at the same time.. who is a company to dictate what folks can and can't legally do in their free time? I worked with a lot of folks that didnt smoke on the job but did smoke when they were off or right before work. And what about juul/E-cig consumers? There is little to no smell there but it still has nicotine..

Its every bit as absurd as Bloomberg's soda ban. Companies should not make virtue signaling policies that target individuals and what they do/consume in their free time if it doesnt impact them while on the job. Regardless of "health reasons". Distilled spirits arent a natural element on this earth and are every bit as unhealthy as cigarettes.. Are they going to go full prohibition? they going to ban all drinkers too? When does it end? Perhaps they don't hire folks that eat meat because it "impacts the climate".. perhaps they dont hire gun owners because its a "public safety and health risk"..

Its obnoxious to see companies virtue signal like this.. if it doesn't impact their ability to do a job or present themselves well on a job what should it matter? Odds are this is a publicity stunt and perhaps a way to lessen nation wide insurance throughout the company. I highly doubt its merely for "good intentions".. nothing large companies do is ever for good intentions.. there is some kind of underlying money/insurance reason.

It's the same companies that make mandatory drug testing a condition of employment.... no weed for you! ;)

It's a private company who can set whatever standards they want for employees. You don't have to work for them if you don't like their policies. Nothing is stopping you from opening your own moving/rental company.

I have worked with smokers, the problem is as soon as the boss is gone they are out back sneaking a smoke break while everyone else is still working. How long does it take to smoke a cigarette, 5-10 minutes? So you smoke 1-2 on your lunch break, then 1 for your 15 minute break, what about the rest of the day? if you sneak in 2-3 more that adds up real quick. One company I worked at had a production manager that was a smoker, he came in every Saturday to make up for all his smoke breaks

They are trying to make this out about the health of their workers. That's BS.

it's about two things.

1. Time. They don't want people that are going to take several breaks a day.

2. Customer Service. They don't want people who smells like ish.

it's about two things.

And,

3. They don't want the added cost of smokers on their health care premiums.

4. They don't want the added liability or pay higher premiums for their liability insurance.

All good reasons in my book. Don't get me wrong here. If smokers want to smoke, the smoke. But to expect another entity / person to pick up the tab for the smoker's decision is not reasonable, at least to my feeble way of thinking.

it's about two things.

Almost. You forgot:

Mandatory health insurance. Premiums are higher for smokers.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top