JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The powder is being sold as MP 540. It is a stick powder. I am trying to figure out if there is a canister grade powder that is an equivalent product so I can work up loads for other cartridges. The two load data recipes the seller is providing are:

Powder – MP 540

Caliber - .308

Charge – 45 grains

Bullet – 147gr FMJ

Avg. Velocity – 2700 fps

Powder – MP 540

Caliber - .308

Charge – 44 grains

Bullet – 168gr BTHP

Avg. Velocity – 2600 fps

It appears midwest powder has had VV equivalents in the past.

Screenshot_20211111-195754.png

I can get 42 pounds of IMR 7383 shipped for $11.20 a lb. It can be temperamental, no published data but lot's of reloaders have used it and posted info on loads that worked for them.

Or

I can get 32lbs of this mystery powder MP 540 for $22.80 a lb. Probably much less temperamental but canister grade equivalent is unknown. Nobody seems to have had experiences with it being sold as MP 540.

What would you buy between these two choices?

Haven't. Taking your approximation of the burn rate, I looked at VV's load data and agree, it's in the same range as VV540 or VV140.
Took a quick look at all those cartridges, which have a great deal of similarity, and they all have loads for 140 and 540.

Haven't. Taking your approximation of the burn rate, I looked at VV's load data and agree, it's in the same range as VV540 or VV140.
Took a quick look at all those cartridges, which have a great deal of similarity, and they all have loads for 140 and 540.
I sent an email to American Reloading to see if they will give up any more info on what powder this is similiar too. In addition to surplus powders they often repack canister grade powders from the usual suppliers. I think they are not suppose to spill the beans on which suppliers it is from.

Since this is a stick powder it is probably less likely to be a recently produced surplus military powder?

I was also checking out this powder. @arakboss when you get a response will you share with the rest of us? I've contacted them on several projectile in the past and they've always shared with no hesitation.

No reply yet from American Reloading and I tried to call the phone number but it went to a full voicemail box. I did receive some of the pulled 40cal bullets I bought from them recently and they look fantastic. The MP 380 rifle powder they had sold out, I am still on the fence about ordering the MP 540 powder.

Bummer. I ordered an 8# keg just to try out. I had dissatisfying results with A2520, A2230 and Tac- albeit it was 35°. Hopefully this stick is less temp sensitive and gets me my velocity targets.

Finally got a response from American Reloading.

"We have plenty of the MP 540 so we will make sure you get some. It will burn around 104-110 on the chart and it is a consistent stick powder. We are getting more data but for now it should be great for heavier grain bullets in 308.

We can't call it "similar to" just yet but when we get that approval we will!"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top