JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This one makes me think I've got a chance.
When I want to try a new powder I look at a number of places for help. One is Grafs and sons then click on the powder and read the description.

As for the rebranded Accurate- I bought 16 pounds of WC680 from the guy who ran DumpLordz ammo in the Clackamas area. He used it in his 220gr subs and said it was the same as A1680 but with more flash supressant so you had to add a few tenths to get 1680 performance. I'm on my second 8 pound jug now and i worked it up as 1680 with great results.

As for the rebranded Accurate- I bought 16 pounds of WC680 from the guy who ran DumpLordz ammo in the Clackamas area. He used it in his 220gr subs and said it was the same as A1680 but with more flash supressant so you had to add a few tenths to get 1680 performance. I'm on my second 8 pound jug now and i worked it up as 1680 with great results.
I bought some MP 350 from another member which says to use Accurate 1680 data. I haven't used any yet.

20211115_210538.jpg

A lot of folks have gone to heavy duty progressive loaders so powder companies came out with ball powders that are pretty consistent in throw weight. I love aa2230 and 2520 as they run through the powder measure fast and accurate.

However if I am not making blasting ammo and want perfection I load on a single stage and measure powder separately.

In the shortages I have tried a number of powders just for fun.

I think if we were to look at only the stick powders in the 104 to 110 burn rate range on a few different burn rate charts, we could narrow down the few powders that this MP 540 compares too.

I am pretty sure based on the burn rate range they quoted that it will work for heavier bullet loads which was what I have been looking for.

Screenshot_20211116-031754.png

Screenshot_20211116-031919.png

I am not sure what other charts could be included for comparison?

Last Edited:
I sent one more email to American Reloading asking them which burn rate charts they use. I am probably not going to wait for a reply before placing an order. I will report back here if they send the info on which charts they use. Even if we were able to determine which powder this was, it could be a bad batch that was either too fast or too slow to sell as canister grade by the manufacture. I believe we can safely work up loads with the info we have.

I sent one more email to American Reloading asking them which burn rate charts they use. I am probably not going to wait for a reply before placing an order. I will report back here if they send the info on which charts they use. Even if we were able to determine which powder this was, it could be a bad batch that was either too fast or too slow to sell as canister grade by the manufacture. I believe we can safely work up loads with the info we have.
Here is the reply I received to my last email asking which burn rate chart they were using.

"Yes its bases on the first one. Between W748 and W760"

Here is the chart he referred to as the first one.

Screenshot_20211116-202528.png

I am about 99% sure this is MP 540 powder is VV540.

This bodes very well.
This may not bode well for the powder if it is VV N540.

"I have used it in a 6mmBR, 6 Dasher and a 6.5 x 47L. It is a phenomenally accurate powder. However, there are 2 BIG drawbacks. 1.) it IS a bit temp sensitive. You will need a cold weather and a warm weather load. and 2.) it WILL eat your throat up like candy! The heat explosion number shows it to be THEE hottest powder made. The 6 Dasher I had loved it. BUT I only got 1600 or so rounds out of it and the barrel was toast. It is a GREAT powder for accuracy and speed>>>however, it has it's limitations like any thing else.."

Source: https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/viht-n540-and-stability.3937593/

This may not bode well for the powder if it is VV N540.

"I have used it in a 6mmBR, 6 Dasher and a 6.5 x 47L. It is a phenomenally accurate powder. However, there are 2 BIG drawbacks. 1.) it IS a bit temp sensitive. You will need a cold weather and a warm weather load. and 2.) it WILL eat your throat up like candy! The heat explosion number shows it to be THEE hottest powder made. The 6 Dasher I had loved it. BUT I only got 1600 or so rounds out of it and the barrel was toast. It is a GREAT powder for accuracy and speed>>>however, it has it's limitations like any thing else.."

Source: https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/viht-n540-and-stability.3937593/
"Among Vihtavuori product line we have only five types we call N500 (N530 ... N570) which are by composition double base powders. N500 rifle powders contain small amount of nitroglycerol to add a bit more performance required mainly for extremely long distances. Even with these products we have added a special additive as well kept nitroglycerol content rather low in order to minimize the barrel erosion effect.
So, my opinion and advice is to keep barrel and throat erosion on minimum by using only single base powders like Vihtavuori N100, N300 and 3N.
Best Regards,
Mikko Vuoristo
EURENCO Vihtavuori O"

Here is my MP540 purchase plan. I'm going to watch the inventory and hope that it remains in stock through Black Friday and that American Reloading offers a Promo code for powder on Black Friday.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top