JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fishing was a huge part of my childhood and has continued through the years. Being a child of the Northwest.....I have never warmed up to spiney ray fishing. In eastern Washington we used to kill ideal bass lakes just so we could introduce trout. My mother would simply plant them in the garden when we brought something like a bass or perch home. I taught fly fishing in the Spokane Parks several years before it became the inn thing. My grandmother was a great fisher woman and would take me every summer to western Montana to fish the great classic trout rivers there every year long before they were well known or as popular as today. Now I am an old western guy I am more tolerant of junk fish but still prefer a trout or salmon species in fresh water. I am however frustrated by the takeover of fly fishing by liberal "I won't eat a fish" types so don't do it much any more trying to avoid being cast as one of those people. I stopped driving Porsche's in California for the same reason. Most of the idiots that drive them have no idea why they are great or special simply looking for the prestige they think comes from driving one.

Fishing was a huge part of my childhood and has continued through the years. Being a child of the Northwest.....I have never warmed up to spiney ray fishing. In eastern Washington we used to kill ideal bass lakes just so we could introduce trout. My mother would simply plant them in the garden when we brought something like a bass or perch home. I taught fly fishing in the Spokane Parks several years before it became the inn thing. My grandmother was a great fisher woman and would take me every summer to western Montana to fish the great classic trout rivers there every year long before they were well known or as popular as today. Now I am an old western guy I am more tolerant of junk fish but still prefer a trout or salmon species in fresh water. I am however frustrated by the takeover of fly fishing by liberal "I won't eat a fish" types so don't do it much any more trying to avoid being cast as one of those people. I stopped driving Porsche's in California for the same reason. Most of the idiots that drive them have no idea why they are great or special simply looking for the prestige they think comes from driving one.

Sunfish family have the best tasting flesh of any fish!!!:p:p:p We used to throw squawfish and Dollies in the garden but hey, I was raised on bluegills and bass.

The middle boy in our family had a 911T (is that considered a real Porshe?). I always wanted a 911 until I moved to La Grande. It's not too practical here but there are still some showoffs that drive around in their sports cars. It's funny what you wrote because my Bro became a huge lib elite... big income, wife a college prof, house in Solvang, $15 jar of olives, Volvo, BMW. We survive each other by not talking politics. LOL

The closest I came to having a witchin sport car was my MGB, then my Sunbeam Tiger (which I miss dearly!). Still cream my jeans over a Carrera tho.

I usually use 4lb test for redsides in the D, they average about 2lb to 5lbs. I use 6lb test for more all of my spinning gear fishing, just because it is a great medium. I'll have to pick some 6lb test for leader on my steelhead rod. I need to respool my ultra light anyway, which I found out is a 6'6" IM6 made for Sportman's Warehouse. Love that little guy.

I have to admit, I don't eat much fish anyway. I prefer brauts, but fried fish is good too.

I've only caught largemouth with topwaters, and mostly buzzbaits around structure. That probably led to my joy for salmonfly hatches. I did catch a 16" crappie on a crank bait being dragged behind a boat once. I was just messing around near dusk and watching the bait move along the top of the water about 6' from me when the crappie slammed it. Too bad the OBPC crappie derby was the next day.

Sunfish family have the best tasting flesh of any fish!!!:p:p:p We used to throw squawfish and Dollies in the garden but hey, I was raised on bluegills and bass.

The middle boy in our family had a 911T (is that considered a real Porshe?). I always wanted a 911 until I moved to La Grande. It's not too practical here but there are still some showoffs that drive around in their sports cars. It's funny what you wrote because my Bro became a huge lib elite... big income, wife a college prof, house in Solvang, $15 jar of olives, Volvo, BMW. We survive each other by not talking politics. LOL

The closest I came to having a witchin sport car was my MGB, then my Sunbeam Tiger (which I miss dearly!). Still cream my jeans over a Carrera tho.
I have and enjoy lots of sports and fun cars and know them well........Sunbeam tigers are an incredible car. I used to work on one years ago (had to nearly disassemble it to change the spark plugs) My kids do tease me about my Maserati's but we are mostly into Mercedes these days. Old ones. There is nothing wrong with a 911T but they are limited on horsepower because they use a cast crank instead of the forged one in the more powerful cars. They have a lower red line. I have done a few English cars but never an MG unless you count an old Morris Minor Convertible I did years ago for a girlfriend, a 1953 Jag XK 120 drop head coupe, a bunch of Lotus race cars and a hand full of Mini's. We have a Land Rover that I need to get an engine in. I love Packards (have a 1920 truck) and IHC's (have 3 of those) We have Alfa's and an imperial Convertible..........too much stuff but it is all fun. Always looking for deals on Packards and old Mercedes. Sold my last 2 Porsche's 7 years ago. I have so many projects, I had to open a body shop to save money on restorations. We should take the boat down to Copperfield and fish the river one of these nice days before it gets too hot.

There is nothing wrong with a 911T but they are limited on horsepower

Ah, I remembered correctly. :eek: It was a nice car, and less expensive to maintain. I loved the Targa top with the T-bar. BTW, my best friend in H.S. built a Karman Ghia up with a really nice suspension, Pirelli tires, and an 1835cc engine and a transporter clutch/rear end... he would have gone to 2200cc but that would have taken a change in the crank, long stroke rods, dual carbs, cam upgrade, and an upgrade of output shaft and tranny. I used to help him shadetree mechanic. Was pretty neat since my dad never taught me.

Morris Minor Convertible
Fun car!

a bunch of Lotus race cars and a hand full of Mini's

Lotus is Brit:eek:?
Mini-Cooper... super fun!!

, I had to open a body shop to save money on restorations.
LOL

We should take the boat down to Copperfield and fish the river one of these nice days before it gets too hot.
Yes, I'd really like that!!

I have and enjoy lots of sports and fun cars and know them well........Sunbeam tigers are an incredible car. I used to work on one years ago (had to nearly disassemble it to change the spark plugs) My kids do tease me about my Maserati's but we are mostly into Mercedes these days. Old ones. There is nothing wrong with a 911T but they are limited on horsepower because they use a cast crank instead of the forged one in the more powerful cars. They have a lower red line. I have done a few English cars but never an MG unless you count an old Morris Minor Convertible I did years ago for a girlfriend, a 1953 Jag XK 120 drop head coupe, a bunch of Lotus race cars and a hand full of Mini's. We have a Land Rover that I need to get an engine in. I love Packards (have a 1920 truck) and IHC's (have 3 of those) We have Alfa's and an imperial Convertible..........too much stuff but it is all fun. Always looking for deals on Packards and old Mercedes. Sold my last 2 Porsche's 7 years ago. I have so many projects, I had to open a body shop to save money on restorations. We should take the boat down to Copperfield and fish the river one of these nice days before it gets too hot.

AND you fish...AND play with guns...where do you find the time?:)

AND you fish...AND play with guns...where do you find the time?:)
A lot of things are neglected. I always have plenty to do and am much slower than I used to be. I am taking the wheels for the Packard next week to the wheel right in Moscow to be done while getting the paperwork straightened out on the research boat I bought from the university of Idaho. New fenders coming for my Scout that is mechanically finished, need to hire a new body man for the shop and am buying another boat in Soldonta. I hope to finish the Scout before winter and have the new frame built for the Packard (the original one has work hardened). These days I do a lot of pointing and directing. I still have to make a run to Oklahoma to pick up one of my air planes that I should have done 2 months ago.

A lot of things are neglected. I always have plenty to do and am much slower than I used to be. I am taking the wheels for the Packard next week to the wheel right in Moscow to be done while getting the paperwork straightened out on the research boat I bought from the university of Idaho. New fenders coming for my Scout that is mechanically finished, need to hire a new body man for the shop and am buying another boat in Soldonta. I hope to finish the Scout before winter and have the new frame built for the Packard (the original one has work hardened). These days I do a lot of pointing and directing. I still have to make a run to Oklahoma to pick up one of my air planes that I should have done 2 months ago.
You've got some good tastes, I have to admit.

For those curious, I believe packers made the engines in the Spitfire fighters back in WWII.

6 caught last night after work. Water temp was 56.5 all caught on crankbait and similar in size

IMG_20180503_181410258.jpg

Took the kayak to Hagg Monday morning. Boated 10 smallies and lost 2. Was back out this morning. Between the wind and the chop created by the half dozen or so sheriffs fro multiple counties training it was a rough one. I ended up in a cove where my anchor would actually hold. Ended up into a bunch of crappie scoring my largest to date IMG_0032.JPG IMG_0033.JPG at almost 14".

I used to guide on Table Rock Lake outside Branson, MO. It is a Corps of Engineers lake up to 200' deep in places, 70 miles long and averages about a mile wide. There are lots of gravel bars and dead cedars in the water. This time of year crank baits would take both smallmouth and largemouth. The most fun about right now would be top water. A Rapala or a Rebel stick minnow thrown in among the dead trees and just twitched now and then would pretty quickly result in an explosion, as a fish would hit it hard from down below. That's lots of fun. But my favorite bait was a Zara Spook. I used to be pretty good at "walkin'" it.

Right now I'm throwing mostly spinnerbaits and swim jigs where there is sun and concrete or wood soaking uo the warmth. Get early prespawn bite. If the sun isnt out, crankbait on the first major depth change.

Took the kayak to Hagg Monday morning. Boated 10 smallies and lost 2. Was back out this morning. Between the wind and the chop created by the half dozen or so sheriffs fro multiple counties training it was a rough one. I ended up in a cove where my anchor would actually hold. Ended up into a bunch of crappie scoring my largest to date View attachment 458555 View attachment 458556 at almost 14".
I think I know the spot... the other side is great for holdover trout and calibatis!
Your post has me torn between salmon, rockfish and smallies... it's a dilemma I can live with.

You can PM me exactly where and what you're using, and if you say Brownlee I had better get a highlighted map.
Yep Brownlee, Produces more poundage of fish per acre than anywhere in the west........I don't fish there often as I prefer trout. This is my adopted step son.......... DC1BB64F-02DA-4D5E-8BCE-C49AA8DC02D4.jpeg

Yep Brownlee, Produces more poundage of fish per acre than anywhere in the west........I don't fish there often as I prefer trout. This is my adopted step son..........View attachment 460178
That bass only looks about 4lbs... i've been meaning to go to brownlee for years, but i'm also pretty interested in some of the ponds off the beaten track. Supposedly those have the biggest crappie, but I only hear about the one's on the Oregon side.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top