Smallies on the Willamette

Discussion in 'Northwest Fishing' started by Mister Bisley, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Mister Bisley

Mister Bisley
    Wilsonville

Excellent point. Water temps play a huge role in fish activity. Yesterday, I was standing in the water at the mouth of the Tualatin and it seemed much colder than when I was standing in the Umpqua a few weeks ago. The warmer weather will definitely bring on the bite. Thinking next week will be gangbusters.

mkwerx likes this.
  2. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

Try Mary S. Young Park. North of West Linn. There's a couple of rocky areas. If the Willamette has dropped enough they have a foot bridge that gets you to Cedar Island on the North end of the park. The Cedar Island Lagoon doasen't fish for smallies so well by this time of year. May be some large mouth around....Lot of huge carp if you wanted to try to figure them out. To the South of the park is another rocky area. I believe it's not in the park, but legally you have a right to walk at/below the mean high water mark, so if the Willy is low enough you could get there. I've fished these areas from my boat and caught fish. Keep in mind smallies will be around rocks. And as the water warms and spawning is done they move to areas near or over deep water. You'd want to fish deeper, looking for places with some current where they hover at current lines waiting to ambush. I'm no master at it and have never done all that well during/after the spawn. LOTS of dinks to be had shallow (2'-5') with a fast/drop/fast retrieve keeping it near the bottom using grubs in natural/camo colors.

mkwerx and Mister Bisley like this.
  3. Mister Bisley

Mister Bisley
    Wilsonville

Nice @Mikej thanks for the tips. I grew up fishing lakes, reservoirs, ponds and estuaries that fish like reservoirs. Learning to fish faster rivers has been both challenging and exciting.

4. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

When the water in the Willy below the falls (my area has always been the falls to Milwaukee) is 53-60 degrees is when everything breaks loose and fish will be in shallows on the full hunt for food before the spawn. Pretty easy pickin's. Still water in flooded areas, because of the spring release in the Columbia, can have some pretty good fish. That time is close to being gone now though.

Another place to try would be in Oregon city, the small hwy 99 bridge near Mcmennamins has a walkway that goes under the highway and get you to the river. I think. There's a point there, think it's called "Preachers Rock" or something like that. The downstream side of that point runs in the 6'-13' or so. Kinda snaggy but there crawdads there, and where there's crawdads there's...... One year in the boat we snagged and brought up a commercial crawdad line.

Google Maps

mkwerx, Argonaut and Mister Bisley like this.
  5. 86k5krawler

86k5krawler
    newberg,or

Late post but the weekend was great. River is dropping and the water temp is warming.
    IMG_20180617_133511608.jpg

Mister Bisley likes this.
  6. Mister Bisley

Mister Bisley
    Wilsonville

Nice slab!

86k5krawler likes this.