JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It has to be a single stack for my hand size, (though I have great hand strength I have short fingers and I want solid purchase on a defensive gun. I would like concealability. I have a SA XDS 45 and mine is not winning me over. I think I am going to get rid of it. I like Sigs, I like most Rugers. (The LC9 trigger was truly horrific though!)

Something in the vein of a p938 with 45acp would be ideal. I'd go striker if it had what felt like a good SA trigger. No DA for me. I just can't get used to it. Also, bonus points to a metal frame. I know polymers are good, they just don't feel right to me. Its not a deal breaker.

Also, assume a solid budget is available, nothing astronomical, but not going to flinch over a reasonable price. Sig 1911 ultra compact looks like it might fit the bill, but I am looking for other ideas in that vein.

The XDS didn't do too much for me, either, but I have a couple of friends who love 'em.
I have a S&W Shield in .40 that I'm very happy with and would love to try one of the new .45s.
I've not yet even handled one, just giving a suggestion based on how I feel about the slightly smaller version.

In my opinion,
The Sig Sauer Ultra Compac 1911 tu tone bling bling 45acp 3inch barrel 7+ 1 in the hole
now granted it will cost somewhat more than most of the others , however Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten and whats your life worth .

I was in the market for a single-stack 9mm a couple of months ago.
I read all the reviews and watched all the "Single Stack Shootouts".
The new Walther PPS-M2 kept winning, so I bought one.
Very happy with the purchase.

Why .45? And what didn't you like about your XDS?

With that said, I have a 3.3" XDS in 9mm and that thing is unpleasant to shoot. Can't imagine what it's like in .45. And this is usually the inherent problem with the sub-compact guns. That and the reduced capacity...and short sight radius.

Me personally, I also wouldn't touch a 1911 under 4 inches. Reliability becomes much more challenging once you drop below 4 inches in a 1911. Are there reliable ones out there? Yea, probably. But I have no interest in taking on the challenge of trying to find one when all it offers is a half inch shorter barrel. That's hardly enough benefit (to me) to justify the gun. YMMV.

If you go with something small I would ABSOLUTELY rent it and try it out first. Otherwise you may be in the same situation as you are with your XDS. Short barreled guns leave a lot to be desired. Also, since you said funds aren't a problem I wouldn't rule something out because of a crappy trigger. There's usually an upgrade or action job available for most of the popular guns these days. If everything else works for you, simply throw a little money at it and upgrade the trigger. It's an easy enough solution.

I just have found my aim to leave a lot to be desired with DA triggers. I started shooting pistols with a browning Hi-power. I have in general stuck with the SA because it is something I have come to prefer over the last 25 years. I need small, to conceal with no printing and actually carry. Why .45? because I would like a CC .45acp.

I am actually quite a decent shot with the p938. At 25 yards I am not the best shot with it, but that is using a crescent wrench as a hammer. At self defense ranges I can hit roughly within an inch of what I want to. Yeah, not a tack driver, but good enough.

my SA XDS just has abysmal accuracy for me, and is unpleasant to shoot. (Note I would say it has less apparent recoil than a p938.) The combination of the slide-heaviness, the grip texture and more just don't lend itself to much accuracy in my hands. I could probably get decent with it with time, but I would rather get something I like. I bought it because it was really cheap and selling it I will probably come out slightly ahead. I am kinda used to noisy crickets with the p938 being a primary carry, with p238 for when I need to scale it down not to print.

Because this is fully intended as a carry piece, I am hesitant to put too much into upgrades on the chance I have to use it. I don't want it to look like I was spoiling for a fight.

I am not big enough to convincingly conceal a full size 1911. While a full size is unarguably a better choice, I can't conceal it, thus won't carry it, and a better gun in the safe doesn't do me any good.

The 30sf is not a single stack, but if I was pick a compact Glock 45 I'd look to the 30S, it has the SF frame with a 36 slide.
Duly noted. For me it is all about my fingers going around it on the single vs double stack. Glocks are universal enough I can give it a try to feel whether I can consider them.
Its not going to be hard to find a Glock dealer and check a few out. The Sig might be trickier to find.

I comes with nite sites very concealable has enough mass to eliminate some of the brutal recoil the poly guns have. I'm not a very good shot but with this gun I was very good at hitting target.
anyone who says a 1911 is not a good carry gun don't know nuttin JMO

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top