JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It has to be a single stack for my hand size, (though I have great hand strength I have short fingers and I want solid purchase on a defensive gun. I would like concealability. I have a SA XDS 45 and mine is not winning me over. I think I am going to get rid of it. I like Sigs, I like most Rugers. (The LC9 trigger was truly horrific though!)

Something in the vein of a p938 with 45acp would be ideal. I'd go striker if it had what felt like a good SA trigger. No DA for me. I just can't get used to it. Also, bonus points to a metal frame. I know polymers are good, they just don't feel right to me. Its not a deal breaker.

Also, assume a solid budget is available, nothing astronomical, but not going to flinch over a reasonable price. Sig 1911 ultra compact looks like it might fit the bill, but I am looking for other ideas in that vein.

The XDS didn't do too much for me, either, but I have a couple of friends who love 'em.
I have a S&W Shield in .40 that I'm very happy with and would love to try one of the new .45s.
I've not yet even handled one, just giving a suggestion based on how I feel about the slightly smaller version.

In my opinion,
The Sig Sauer Ultra Compac 1911 tu tone bling bling 45acp 3inch barrel 7+ 1 in the hole
now granted it will cost somewhat more than most of the others , however Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten and whats your life worth .

I was in the market for a single-stack 9mm a couple of months ago.
I read all the reviews and watched all the "Single Stack Shootouts".
The new Walther PPS-M2 kept winning, so I bought one.
Very happy with the purchase.

Why .45? And what didn't you like about your XDS?

With that said, I have a 3.3" XDS in 9mm and that thing is unpleasant to shoot. Can't imagine what it's like in .45. And this is usually the inherent problem with the sub-compact guns. That and the reduced capacity...and short sight radius.

Me personally, I also wouldn't touch a 1911 under 4 inches. Reliability becomes much more challenging once you drop below 4 inches in a 1911. Are there reliable ones out there? Yea, probably. But I have no interest in taking on the challenge of trying to find one when all it offers is a half inch shorter barrel. That's hardly enough benefit (to me) to justify the gun. YMMV.

If you go with something small I would ABSOLUTELY rent it and try it out first. Otherwise you may be in the same situation as you are with your XDS. Short barreled guns leave a lot to be desired. Also, since you said funds aren't a problem I wouldn't rule something out because of a crappy trigger. There's usually an upgrade or action job available for most of the popular guns these days. If everything else works for you, simply throw a little money at it and upgrade the trigger. It's an easy enough solution.

I just have found my aim to leave a lot to be desired with DA triggers. I started shooting pistols with a browning Hi-power. I have in general stuck with the SA because it is something I have come to prefer over the last 25 years. I need small, to conceal with no printing and actually carry. Why .45? because I would like a CC .45acp.

I am actually quite a decent shot with the p938. At 25 yards I am not the best shot with it, but that is using a crescent wrench as a hammer. At self defense ranges I can hit roughly within an inch of what I want to. Yeah, not a tack driver, but good enough.

my SA XDS just has abysmal accuracy for me, and is unpleasant to shoot. (Note I would say it has less apparent recoil than a p938.) The combination of the slide-heaviness, the grip texture and more just don't lend itself to much accuracy in my hands. I could probably get decent with it with time, but I would rather get something I like. I bought it because it was really cheap and selling it I will probably come out slightly ahead. I am kinda used to noisy crickets with the p938 being a primary carry, with p238 for when I need to scale it down not to print.

Because this is fully intended as a carry piece, I am hesitant to put too much into upgrades on the chance I have to use it. I don't want it to look like I was spoiling for a fight.

I am not big enough to convincingly conceal a full size 1911. While a full size is unarguably a better choice, I can't conceal it, thus won't carry it, and a better gun in the safe doesn't do me any good.

The 30sf is not a single stack, but if I was pick a compact Glock 45 I'd look to the 30S, it has the SF frame with a 36 slide.
Duly noted. For me it is all about my fingers going around it on the single vs double stack. Glocks are universal enough I can give it a try to feel whether I can consider them.
Its not going to be hard to find a Glock dealer and check a few out. The Sig might be trickier to find.

I comes with nite sites very concealable has enough mass to eliminate some of the brutal recoil the poly guns have. I'm not a very good shot but with this gun I was very good at hitting target.
anyone who says a 1911 is not a good carry gun don't know nuttin JMO

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top