JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay I have a Full size Ruger 1911, Rock Island 'GI' Officer's model 1911, which I think is pretty close to my S&W Shield 45 in external size the Shield being a lot more rounded and smooth. I have a Springfield XDS 45. I am happy with my XDS, but I don't shoot it much. I have only dry fired the Shield as it is recent for me. I love the little Rock Island, if I were to get another tomorrow it would be the 'Rock' series for the better sights

In a metal 1911 I would not prefer to go shorter than 3.5 - 4.0 inch barrel. In poly it seems to be different in my experience. Really love the S&W Shield .45 in a a barrel length I would not accept in a metal 1911. Go Figure. M'eh. Currently carrying Commander 1911 4.25" barrel. Lovely firearm.

Here's my favorite. Colt MK IV 80 Series Officers in stainless steel.
It's got some weight to it and needs a firm grip, but it gets the job done.

colt 80's  Mark lV officers 004.JPG

Me personally, I also wouldn't touch a 1911 under 4 inches. Reliability becomes much more challenging once you drop below 4 inches in a 1911. Are there reliable ones out there? Yea, probably. But I have no interest in taking on the challenge of trying to find one when all it offers is a half inch shorter barrel.
Ever own or shoot one to base your opinions on, or are you regurgitating internet "knowledge"?
I owned two officers sized 1911s, one a Para and one a Colt. Both worked just like they should, which was flawlessly. The Colt was nice, but I wish I'd figured out a way to keep the Para.
Kahr's DA trigger isn't like others.
The one Kahr I owned was a fine little gun. Mine was a 9mm. The only thing I didn't like about the gun was the week long, or should I say mile long trigger pull. The pull length was longer than a double action revolver and on a gun that small, wasn't comfortable for me. If a single action is what you're used to, the Khar probably won't be acceptable. If the trigger pull had just been a little shorter, I'd have probably kept it and not purchased the Shield.

Im not a fan of sub 4inch 45s either. I've chronographed loads using a short barrel and wasn't impressed.

This applies to all cartridges. Fortunately for some, 38 Special and 9mm are two that I'm aware of that have specific loadings for short barrels. (5.56, too :))
Don't know if the 40 or 45 have anything like that available.

This applies to all cartridges. Fortunately for some, 38 Special and 9mm are two that I'm aware of that have specific loadings for short barrels. (5.56, too :))
Don't know if the 40 or 45 have anything like that available.

They do, I just never chrono'd it. There are several defensive loads marked on the box for short barrels. Seems like 185gr loads are popular.

They do, I just never chrono'd it. There are several defensive loads marked on the box for short barrels. Seems like 185gr loads are popular.
I've never chronoed my 45 ACP loads either. I don't have anything in 45 shorter than 4.25 anymore, but it would be interesting to see how much velocity is lost.

50 to 75 FPS would be my guess

More like 200 fps difference between a 5 inch Springfield and a 3 inch Kimber Ultra Carry. 850fps vs 650fps, same 230gr load. I schitt you not, I could actually see the bullets going downrange.

Could the Kimber have a sloppy barrel? Possibly. Was I using too slow of a powder for a 3 inch barrel? Maybe. If I were doing a 3 inch, I'd load 185gr bullets at +P or close to it. I think you could do fine with that.

Last Edited:
Kahr TP-45 is good - but recoil was less than pleasant. The Kahr DA is an interesting trigger - the one thing to get used to is letting it off so much between shots - if you have trained yourself to shoot off of reset instead of letting off all the way and restaging the trigger each time - you will have a learning curve. But once you figure it out, it's not bad. Kind of like Running your finger through thick pudding till there's a bang, it's quite smooth, but there's not a noticeable wall, and reset is long.

I have not shot one yet - but if the .45 is anything like the 9 reliability wise - a Shield .45 would be tops of the tiny .45's for me.

Kahr TP-45 is good - but recoil was less than pleasant. The Kahr DA is an interesting trigger - the one thing to get used to is letting it off so much between shots - if you have trained yourself to shoot off of reset instead of letting off all the way and restaging the trigger each time - you will have a learning curve. But once you figure it out, it's not bad. Kind of like Running your finger through thick pudding till there's a bang, it's quite smooth, but there's not a noticeable wall, and reset is long.

I have not shot one yet - but if the .45 is anything like the 9 reliability wise - a Shield .45 would be tops of the tiny .45's for me.
The Kahr sounds interesting, but probably not my cup of tea. I will still try to try it.

I had the XDs in 45 and wasn't too thrilled with it. It just jumped in my hand too much when shooting and I was pretty inaccurate with it. I ended up trading it for a Sig Ultra Compact 1911. Yeah, I had my XDs when they were the flavor of the month and rare as hens teeth and I got offered $900 for it. Where I did the trade at had the Sig for 890 on the wall so I bought that.

For a while I had some feed issues with hollow point rounds, always the first one when I would put a magazine in it would not feed correctly. Usually after not being used for a bit. After I put a few hundred rounds through it I had no problems.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews