JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry a Sig Ultra Compact. Here's a pic of it next to its larger twin.

My 1911's.jpg

Honestly the Colt Defender, Glock 36 and the Sig Ultra seem like the best choices to me for my purposes. I will need to find them and check them out.

I am a fan of the 1911 and they are my favorite gun to shoot recreationally. That being said, I have carried Glock an Smith M&P for long enough that I am more accustomed to not having to manipulate a manual safety. Under stress, muscle memory kicks in.

That, and the fact that the Glock has no external hammer and grip safety sticking out to hang up during a cc draw, are what have me carrying a G36. Don't think that I don't longingly stare at the Sig ultra compact 1911 .45 though.

I carry a V-Bob. I've had the dan Wesson CCO and other officer sized 1911's with 3" barrel, but they were just a little too snappy with the shorter grip. Made training a PITA. When I need to go tiny though I do carry my XDS .45 3.3.

On my bucket list is a C-BOB in 10 MM.

I have a 4516s&wi I am very happy with. Not very light but has been very reliable. It is not a SA so it would probably not fit the ops needs. I am. A great fan of the S&W 3rd Gen pistols

Too bad you're turning down DA without giving the Kahr P45 a chance.

I couldn't agree with you more. Kahr makes really great and innovative pistols. I own several (9mm, 40s&w, and the .45acp) and not one of them has ever even thought about not going bang at the precise time I wanted them too.

As a plus, they have a unique, less snappy, seemingly easier to get back on target recoil action than most of the polymer-framed compacts I've shot. And I've shot most of them.

I also have a Kahr (aluminum framed) K-40, that resembles a miniature 1911-clone when shot. It's considerably heavier than the polymer framed models, but it's still an extremely fine, and equally under-hyped compact that I wouldn't hesitate to bet my life on.

Their new "pro-shop" models now come with the longer, and in some cases ported barrels. Which might be interesting in the .45acp. It's always worth checking out.

Have you held the XD mod2 .45 compact ? I was going to purchase the xds until I held the mod2 . 10 rounds in the compact and soft recoil. I did a video shooting one handed. Very controllable. The smiles 10 rounds. Not a single stack but slim.

1010076.jpg

Have you held the XD mod2 .45 compact ? I was going to purchase the xds until I held the mod2 . 10 rounds in the compact and soft recoil. I did a video shooting one handed. Very controllable. The smiles 10 rounds. Not a single stack but slim.

View attachment 340054
For me, single stack is about getting purchase on the grip with my stubby fingers. I could conceal a double stack, I am just not so sure I could control it that well.

Still curious. Unless you de-cock them, don't all the DA semi-autos operate in SA after the first round?
There are some guns that are DAO (Double Action Only) and some police departments still prefer a gun like that. They have merit. Para even makes a variant of the 1911 that is DAO. They call it the LDA

For me, single stack is about getting purchase on the grip with my stubby fingers. I could conceal a double stack, I am just not so sure I could control it that well.
I have a Mod 2 45 and like it, but the 45 Shield would be easier to grip for you I would guess. If you could handle a Mod 2 45 (Bigger than a Mod 2, 9 or 40) at a gun store you would know more. It is pretty ergonomic, has a good stock trigger and if like me you wanted even better, a Powder River Trigger kit is easy to self install. Click on that Para LDA link above....that's a carry gun.

Love my Kahr CW45. I am also in the Glock club but I'm just a nut for 45ACP. With my Kahr on its Versacarry I can climb ladders, fall up stairs, fall down walking backwards and I'm still ready for anything not previously mentioned. The Kahr has been my EDC for the last several years. And yes, I sport the full Monty 1911 once in a while.
Cheers.

tmp_5489-Glock for men205978011.jpg

I know about waiting, the AR-10 I won in January should be here Thursday, and I have three shotguns and a handgun in a Front Sight promo that I have been waiting on since December (I have got one shotgun and couple of handguns from them in the distant past) and I ordered a XD40 SC Mod 2 a week and a half ago and a Taurus Spectrum a month ago..... on it goes. But one of these days soon we'll both be happy campers.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top