JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got a little .22 & I would like to clean it up. What is the best way to clean small rust off the hammer & the frame/cylinder. The hammer is stainless.

I've heard of using a onion & foil..:s0114:.it was a video I watched....But it worked

0000 Steel Wool.....Some people use the steel wool dry, others place oil on the spot with the rust, then rub the gun with steel wool.

Hoppes # 9

Whats the easiest way to clean this gun without harming the finish?:s0155::s0155:

I would only work on the spots with rust. Tape off the areas around it and remove the rust then use some touch up reblue. If you have multiple areas that are rusted then you might want to refinish the entire pistol instead of leaving pockmarked areas.

You would be amazed at what will clean up with some hoppes and a rag. Try that before you do anything more drastic. For parts like the hammer and trigger that are hard to get at with a rag, just use a cotton swab, the cheaper off brand ones are more abrasive and a better choice than the good ones.

If it is just surface rust, take an empty rifle brass, and crush the end of it in a vise. Then scrape it over the rust. It will take the rust off, without harming your bluing or scratching the metal. Then just use some Hoppes on a rag, to remove any brass coloring on the firearm.

Brass wool well not remove any of the bluing, steel wool well. Just about any gun related oil product well work with the brass wool. My personal favorite is Eezox, it removes rust better than any thing I have used in over forty years.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top