JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello fellow reloaded. Does anyone have a clue as to why some 10mm brass and 45acp brass is being manufactured with small pistol primers? If you have reloaded these calibers with the small pistol primers are you seeing any performance difference in velocity with the small primers?
Thanks in advance for responses
Mr Thomas

Because that's what the manufacturer wanted to use

No, I haven't noticed any difference. You're burning 5-10 grains of powder, not 90. It isn't going to matter much and hasn't to me

Hello fellow reloaded. Does anyone have a clue as to why some 10mm brass and 45acp brass is being manufactured with small pistol primers? If you have reloaded these calibers with the small pistol primers are you seeing any performance difference in velocity with the small primers?
Thanks in advance for responses
Mr Thomas
I "Heard" one time, that years ago, when there was a change in priming compound, to less toxic ingredients, that was when they started making small primer .45ACP brass. It was a boon to me because all the long time fan boys of .45 ACP grumbled about SP .45ACP brass! And I had recently started loading, with .45 ACP among the first few cartridges I loaded.

Far as 10 MM goes..:s0092:.

Small Pistol is easier and cheaper to manufacture right now as military contracts are taking almost all of the large primers.
I heard something similar to this as well. Small pistol is just more abundant commercially. It's a nuisance for reloaders to have to sort another caliber by primer size, but it is what it is. I've noticed the majority of small primer 10mm has been Blazer, so it does make the sorting a little easier atleast.

I heard something similar to this as well. Small pistol is just more abundant commercially. It's a nuisance for reloaders to have to sort another caliber by primer size, but it is what it is. I've noticed the majority of small primer 10mm has been Blazer, so it does make the sorting a little easier atleast.
Here in the last couple of months I was going through a crap load of .45acp brass I'd acquired over the years. I was getting the large primer out to sell, and keeping the small primer for myself. It seemed like all the small primer brass was Blazer. What ever that means?

Here in the last couple of months I was going through a crap load of .45acp brass I'd acquired over the years. I was getting the large primer out to sell, and keeping the small primer for myself. It seemed like all the small primer brass was Blazer. What ever that means?
Federal also uses small primers for 10mm and 45acp.

Small Pistol is easier and cheaper to manufacture right now as military contracts are taking almost all of the large primers.
The most common military cartridges 9mm and 5.56 use small primers. I think it's just the Vista outdoors family wanted to standerdize the primers across their product lines. In my observations there is no difference in performance between small vs large primers in the same cartridge loading.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top