JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a new shooter, and having all my experience shooting being with a .45acp 1911 (4.25" LW Commander), I've come to really enjoy the 1911 platform. I guess you could call it a preference, except for the fact that I haven't tried any other styles – in other words, I found the girl for me and I'm sticking with her.

I especially like the grip safety and the thumb safety aspects, allowing for safe carrying in Condition 1. As I shoot it more and more, I'm growing accustomed to these features to the extent that I think it would be difficult to train myself on another platform and be comfortable using it in a stressful defensive situation.

Now as much as I love this particular pistol, I'm not sure I want to use it for my daily carry for a couple reasons: 1) it was my dad's gun and has sentimental value, and 2) it's a bit heavy and pokey on my waist (I love it as an OWB open carry around the home, but have yet to find a good holster for IWB).

Long story short (or long story less long), I'm looking around for a smaller frame 1911 style hand gun in 9mm. I realize it won't be a true 1911, and I don't want to start that debate all over again. What I want are the safety features I'm familiar with (thumb and grip safety) on a smaller 1911 style firing (single-action hammer) frame, and in 9mm.

So far, there are a few candidates that seem to fit these specifications (NOTE: I will update this list as I find out or hear about specific models that interest me.):
  1. Springfield EMP (3")
  2. Colt Defender (9mm)
  3. Kimber Micro 9 (thanks to fxdc for the tip)
  4. Sig Sauer Ultra Compact 1911
  5. Dan Wesson ECO (What? Am I made of money?)
  6. Browning .380 Black Label 1911
  7. Sig Sauer P938
Although the Kimber and Sig P938 have no grip safety.

Any others I should look into? Do you have experience/recommendations on either of these?

Thanks for reading this far and I'm looking forward to any responses.

Last Edited:
I'm carrying either my EMP 9mm or my kimber micro 9 if i want something lighter.... but it has no grip safety it's not a deal breaker for me.

Lately since trump won I carry both.
There are some Krazy Libtards out there!

I'm carrying either my EMP 9mm or my kimber micro 9 if i want something lighter.... but it has no grip safety it's not a deal breaker for me.

Lately since trump won I carry both.
There are some Krazy Libtards out there!

Your EMP is the 3" barrel, correct? How does it work for you? I've heard mostly good things about it, but some early reviews mentioned feed issues.

As a new shooter, and having all my experience shooting being with a .45acp 1911 (4.25" LW Commander), I've come to really enjoy the 1911 platform. I guess you could call it a preference, except for the fact that I haven't tried any other styles – in other words, I found the girl for me and I'm sticking with her.

I especially like the grip safety and the thumb safety aspects, allowing for safe carrying in Condition 1. As I shoot it more and more, I'm growing accustomed to these features to the extent that I think it would be difficult to train myself on another platform and be comfortable using it in a stressful defensive situation.

Now as much as I love this particular pistol, I'm not sure I want to use it for my daily carry for a couple reasons: 1) it was my dad's gun and has sentimental value, and 2) it's a bit heavy and pokey on my waist (I love it as an OWB open carry around the home, but have yet to find a good holster for IWB).

Long story short (or long story less long), I'm looking around for a smaller frame 1911 style hand gun in 9mm. I realize it's won't be a true 1911, and I don't want to start that debate all over again. What I want are the safety features I'm familiar with (thumb and grip safety) on a smaller 1911 style frame, and in 9mm.

So far, there are only a couple candidates that seem to fit these specifications:
  1. Springfield EMP (3")
  2. Colt Defender (9mm)
To a lesser extent, the Sig P938 is close, but it has no grip safety.

Any others I should look into? Do you have experience/recommendations on either of these?

Thanks for reading this far and I'm looking forward to any responses.
I had exactly the same thought in mind. I have my body and brain trained to operate the controls on my Remington R1S Enhanced 1911, and my Colt 1903 to the point where it's all automatic; grip safety, thumb safety, magazine release, etc. I wanted a smaller carry pistol that had all the same controls in the same location so that my "automatic-ness" would carry over. I got a Ruger LC9s, which can be ordered with the thumb safety. It doesn't have the grip safety, but it does have a trigger safety which serves the same purpose. It is a dream to carry and shoot, and all the controls that matter are exactly where my body and brain expect them to be.

The Kimber micros are nice and well worth a look.

If you would consider a striker style unit, the Springfield XDS is a fine carry piece. 3.3" barrel, 7 rd capacity with extended mag, good ergonomics, similar operating controls, easy to break down and re-assemble for cleaning.

Here is mine in .45ACP:

DSC_0076_zpskqafk2iq.jpg

Honestly, I wasn't too sure about it when I bought it but I've come to really enjoy shooting it and carrying it. It's reliable and has a great sight picture. It is a bit of a handful with the short barrel but any short barreled .45 will be. There are other calibers are available.

I was real hung up on the 1911s. 3 at one point. Love the feel, accuracy and dependability. I did have a Browning Hi power 9mm nice shooter. But I was a bit worried about the hi cap mag bans in our lovely state and started trying hi capacity 9mm SIG's, and CZ p-09 19 plus one. Even my little Springfield sub compact holds 13 +1 (45acp). Nice to have plenty of shots ready to go. They all run good and I like the hi capacity. Just a suggestion. Do find the smaller 1911s interesting.

Your EMP is the 3" barrel, correct? How does it work for you? I've heard mostly good things about it, but some early reviews mentioned feed issues.

Yes it's the original 3 inch.
It's crazy Accurate!
DOB is December 2013
No issues at all.
When it was released they did have feeding issues.

Added CTC G10 laser grips
Also a magwell. .... modified my base plates to work with it and NO issues.

LOVE IT!

Last Edited:
The Kimber micros are nice and well worth a look.
If you would consider a striker style unit, the Springfield XDS is a fine carry piece. 3.3" barrel, 7 rd capacity with extended mag, good ergonomics, similar operating controls, easy to break down and re-assemble for cleaning.

I had an XDS in 45ACP and while it was a good gun, as you said, it tended to jump around in my hand quite a bit. I had a hard time controlling it and as a funny story, I was offered enough cash for it to be able to buy my Sig Sauer Ultra Compact 1911.

My 1911's.jpg

It's the smaller one of my twins there. Even though it's a 3" barrel, I'm pretty accurate with it out to about 10 yards. As a side note, I use an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3 for IWB carry on it and my XDm 9mm. It works great and it's very comfortable.

Looks like there are a lot of compact 1911's out there to choose from. I'm leaning toward the Colt Defender, but that EMP looks real nice, too. Gotta put some in my hand to have a better idea.

Dan Wesson makes nice guns, but I ain't made of money. Paying that much, I'd be afraid to scratch it or worse.

I run one of three compact 1911's ( in .45) but all three can be had in 9 mm.
1) Kimber Compact Ultra CarryII 3 in
2) Colt defender ( twin to the Kimber)
3) STI Compact double stack 3.5 in (More then your Budget)
Of the three, the STI is the most accurate, and the biggest/heaviest, but it conceals well enough. The Colt is the slickest carry of the three, and the Kimber is right in between.
O7000D_left_main.png
Ultra-Carry-II..jpg

Im going to have to throw my hat in the ring for the 938, as I have not owned any of the larger "compact" carry guns you mentioned, I have shot the XDs in 45 and I was perswaded by my inability to hit with that gun to not buy it.. Thankfully I had the chance to try it first.. I will say.. at first I was not a huge fan of the 938, but boy after I started shooting it.. I love it.. oh.. I should mention my Wife and my Sister both bought 938's on the same day.. about 6 months later I bought one.. and then sold it to my mom and bought another one.. Yah.. thats how good they are.. almost my whole family carries a 938.. oh yah, and my uncle bought one.. and my dad is going back and forth between that and a carry size glock.. lol! so to say we are a Sig family.. thats no joke! 5 - 938's in the family.. excellent pistols!

First photo is my Sig Scorpion 1911 in 45acp, full size.. along with my first Sig 938 that I sold to my mom in the rosewood grips, Wife has an identical pistol.. Second picture is the 938 I bought after I sold the first one to my mom.. I had to have matching :)

IMG_20130608_160138_157.jpg 20160118_171831.jpg

Wildly off topic...

M9A3 is my usual daily carry, and I have an Oregon Kimber at home. Should carry the 1911 more often, but seeing as we're in a festive period (through January 20th), I've found this to be on my belt most days:

View attachment 330907
I do love the look of traditional spinners. I'm a cowboy at heart.

All this talk about compact 1911's and a large laundry list of manufacturers. Not one mention of the Canadian manufactured Para Ordinance P-12 compact. Double stack 12 round mags and one in the pipe. I have had this little pistol 22 years and not one single malfunction of any kind. Oh, and yes that mag is loaded with the dreaded "Black Talon" ammo. That gives you an Idea of how long I have had this gun.

IMG_2704_zpsfnc17uoc.jpg

IMG_2705_zpstfdstqfy.jpg

All this talk about compact 1911's and a large laundry list of manufacturers. Not one mention of the Canadian manufactured Para Ordinance P-12 compact. Double stack 12 round mags and one in the pipe. I have had this little pistol 22 years and not one single malfunction of any kind. Oh, and yes that mag is loaded with the dreaded "Black Talon" ammo. That gives you an Idea of how long I have had this gun.

View attachment 330992

View attachment 330993

Wish I'd not sold the one I had. I bought it new and put a couple of thousand rounds thru it. Good little gun. When I saw the thread title it's the gun that came to my mind and was going to say so, but @rdb241 beat me to it. These were the "Hot Item" back in the early 90's.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top