JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a new shooter, and having all my experience shooting being with a .45acp 1911 (4.25" LW Commander), I've come to really enjoy the 1911 platform. I guess you could call it a preference, except for the fact that I haven't tried any other styles – in other words, I found the girl for me and I'm sticking with her.

I especially like the grip safety and the thumb safety aspects, allowing for safe carrying in Condition 1. As I shoot it more and more, I'm growing accustomed to these features to the extent that I think it would be difficult to train myself on another platform and be comfortable using it in a stressful defensive situation.

Now as much as I love this particular pistol, I'm not sure I want to use it for my daily carry for a couple reasons: 1) it was my dad's gun and has sentimental value, and 2) it's a bit heavy and pokey on my waist (I love it as an OWB open carry around the home, but have yet to find a good holster for IWB).

Long story short (or long story less long), I'm looking around for a smaller frame 1911 style hand gun in 9mm. I realize it won't be a true 1911, and I don't want to start that debate all over again. What I want are the safety features I'm familiar with (thumb and grip safety) on a smaller 1911 style firing (single-action hammer) frame, and in 9mm.

So far, there are a few candidates that seem to fit these specifications (NOTE: I will update this list as I find out or hear about specific models that interest me.):
  1. Springfield EMP (3")
  2. Colt Defender (9mm)
  3. Kimber Micro 9 (thanks to fxdc for the tip)
  4. Sig Sauer Ultra Compact 1911
  5. Dan Wesson ECO (What? Am I made of money?)
  6. Browning .380 Black Label 1911
  7. Sig Sauer P938
Although the Kimber and Sig P938 have no grip safety.

Any others I should look into? Do you have experience/recommendations on either of these?

Thanks for reading this far and I'm looking forward to any responses.

My everyday carry is a 9mm Colt Defender that's been tuned up and Cerakoted. Once I get some range time I'll swap it for a 9mm Para Hi-Cap (12 rds) Hawk I just had Cerakoted.

I'd been carrying a 9mm Glock 26 but couldn't get a trigger I liked so I bought the Defender & it changed my life by shredding my checkbook. The photo is just for size comparison between the Defender & the Hawg.

1911 inventory:
GSG 1911 .22 LR ***
GSG 922 Commander size .22 LR ***
9mm Colt Defender
9mm Springfield Armory Range Officer Compact
9mm Nighthawk Custom Ladyhawk
.45 ACP Colt Double Eagle 1st Edition (1 of 1000) *
9mm Dan Wesson ECO
.45 ACP Para Ordnance Expert Carry *
9mm Para Hi-Cap Hawg - also have an 18 rd mag
.45 ACP Para USA Black Ops
.45 ACP S&W1911 Pro

* Safe Queens I'll never fire.

*** Purchased prior to 2016. All others purchased in the last 12 months.

Colt Para 2.JPG

I alway sforget about the Para WartHawg series 1911 compact double stacks. THey had a bad rap when they first came out, but they worked out the kinks and turned it into a very reliable shooter. I had one several years ago, and never had any problems with it. Traded it for the STI frame kit and Slide that I used to build the Compact double stack! Pretty much any thing Para has built the last 15 to 20 years is going to run well for ya!

Well, my wife certainly thinks it's big.

…we're still talking about guns, right?

Well, my wife certainly thinks it's big.

…we're still talking about guns, right?
I hear you and certainly understand your like for your short and light 1911 (the original is three pounds unloaded). .45acp.
But with that said, I'd still say again to check out the revolver family. They go from 11 oz .357 magnums to three pound .22lr's.. and everything in between.

Big 1911 fan, have owned more than a few, long, short whatever.
Personally after owning a couple of Colt Officer's models, don't care for the 3"+ models. 4 or 4.25 is ideal in ACP.
This is my favorite carry piece - got a bobtail job for mine.
1911 Champion™ Operator® Lightweight .45ACP ... - Springfield Armory
But in reality - it will run you $800 and up for any of the better carry 1911s in 45 or 9mm.
If you're looking for a more affordable option with the same controls - consider a S&W M&P Compact (with thumb safety) in 45 or 9mm. Closer to $500; I've seen the newer Browning 1911/380 but just wouldn't prefer to depend on that and while this model is smaller/lighter than other 1911s - there are plenty of other guns with more punch that are small and light.

Okay, I've decided I'm going to look for a Colt Defender in .45 ACP. This will simplify my ammunition situation since my LW Commander eats the same.

Here's my question: Will my full size Commander mags work in the Defender? I've heard there can be problems if you slap them into the smaller model with the slide open as it can cause overtravel and jam, but other than that it appears my current mags will work in the Defender.

Okay, I've decided I'm going to look for a Colt Defender in .45 ACP. This will simplify my ammunition situation since my LW Commander eats the same.

Here's my question: Will my full size Commander mags work in the Defender? I've heard there can be problems if you slap them into the smaller model with the slide open as it can cause overtravel and jam, but other than that it appears my current mags will work in the Defender.
They should. I use my Springfield RO mags in my Sig Ultra-Compact. I don't go from the smaller to the larger though. I also know that I just feed both of the time mainly using Wilson Combat 8 round mags though. Just personal preference, ymmv.

Good point about not going from the smaller to the larger - they may not be tall enough.

I have the p938, p238, Colt Defender in 9mm and 45 acp. When I can wear a concealing shirt or jacket, my choice is the Defender 45 ACP . I just like the idea of that 230 grain bullet saving my butt, if it comes to that. The Defenders fit my large hands perfectly ( 6' 5", 210 lbs ) , so for accuracy , they're my choice. The small Sig's ( 938 and 238) have a place , but not in the same accuracy class of the 45 ACP Defender. You have to decide what works for YOU ! :)

They should. I use my Springfield RO mags in my Sig Ultra-Compact. I don't go from the smaller to the larger though. I also know that I just feed both of the time mainly using Wilson Combat 8 round mags though. Just personal preference, ymmv.
I have not had any problem with my longer 1911 mags in my Defender. I only use them for range work ( load a bunch at home and shoot them later) . I only use original mags for self defense purposes, but for "just shooting" I have no problems with others.

I have not had any problem with my longer 1911 mags in my Defender. I only use them for range work ( load a bunch at home and shoot them later) . I only use original mags for self defense purposes, but for "just shooting" I have no problems with others.
I was never 100% sure they would work, but I have plenty of Wilson mags that I typically just use them for shooting as well as have them loaded for self defense.

The Defenders fit my large hands perfectly

I'm sure it'll fit my delicate artist hands as well! ;) Not too worried since my other gun is a Commander.

After holding the Kimber Ultra Carry today, which is very similar in size and weight to the Defender, I'm looking forward to getting the Defender - I think it's the perfect size and caliber for my personal defense carry.

I'm late to the party as usual...

Part of your original post was trying to locate a comfortable iwb holster for a commander size 1911...

I would highly recommend a Milt Sparks Nexus. That's what I carry my commander in. It's comfortable, not bulky and distributes the weight well...
image.jpeg
I've tried dozens of holsters and couldn't comfortablycarry that bulk until I started using the Nexus... They're not cheap, but worth every penny.

Combine that with a real gunbelt, I prefer the BigFoot gun belts myself, and you've got a reasonable easy to carry package.

You've also been given some great carry options, the XDs 3.3 in .45 ACP is real easy to make disappear in a Bianchi T100 Professional, combo makes it easy to appendix carry...
image.jpeg
The Kimber Micro 9mm is a great pocket gun, add in some Sig P938 extended magazines and your carrying 7+1 in a tiny package that has great sights and is controllable with the extended magazine.
image.jpeg
There, I've summed up my main three carry sidearms...

Hope this information proved helpful...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top