JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Aren't the lands more important? don't the grooves just show how much depth the bullet can expand?
For instance I have heard of people with Tokarev's who slug the barrel and measure the grooves and get a .311 or .312 and freak out saying" the Tokarev is supposed to have a .308 barrel and mine is oversized!"
Ideally if a bore is supposed to be .308 shouldn't the grooves be .002 or .003 more?
If a bore(lands) is .308 should I buy bullets for .308 or .309 or what?

NO if the bottom of the grooves is larger then the diameter of bullet then the gases will excape past the bullet.

Unless the bullet is a Mini ball design with a thin rear shirt and a hollow center it will not expand much at all.

SO thats the problem with a .308 bullet in a 7.62mm bore which actually measures .311-.312.

You would measure the ridges on a test slug to determine the diameter of bullet best suited to your bore. NOT the GROOVES ON THE BULLET. And then oppisite if you were measuring in the bore.

Unless the bullet is a Mini ball design with a thin rear shirt and a hollow center it will not expand much at all.

You'd be amazed at how much a bullet will expand (obturate) when fired in an oversize barrel. When there's 50,000-60,000 psi behind it, all at once, the plastic limits of the bullet material (lead and copper) have been exceeded multifold. About the only bullets that don't are the "Solids" like Barnes.

Naturally, this is dependent on the gap not being all that excessive but a few thousandth's will definitely disappear when the charge goes off.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews