JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Took out a bunch of rifles from the safe.

Damn little QD holes are on all of them.

Lots of inexpensive options out there, sadly it seems like quality QD push buttons are not inexpensive. I'm likely going to go that route though as most of mine are set up already for them.

I figure about 7 firearms will be getting slings. That or 1-2 s that can be used with them.

One or two lever guns might get traditional slings over nylon. They are of the few in the safe that have regular swivel studs. As does the CX4, but it also has regular loops too on the rear.

Definitely a sizable project ahead. I'm gonna have to prioritize a few as I don't see myself dropping $400-500 in slings right now!

Also, shoutout to @Lasers for the free goodies, the QD pocket is already installed on a 10/22 I want to put a sling on and I'll likely use the end plate on this guy once I get the folding AR15 buffer tube adapter.

CE58E353-D8C7-46F6-8357-1C0C5BE13115.jpeg

Took out a bunch of rifles from the safe.

Damn little QD holes are on all of them.

Lots of inexpensive options out there, sadly it seems like quality QD push buttons are not inexpensive. I'm likely going to go that route though as most of mine are set up already for them.

I figure about 7 firearms will be getting slings. That or 1-2 s that can be used with them.

One or two lever guns might get traditional slings over nylon. They are of the few in the safe that have regular swivel studs. As does the CX4, but it also has regular loops too on the rear.

Definitely a sizable project ahead. I'm gonna have to prioritize a few as I don't see myself dropping $400-500 in slings right now!

Well, if you are prioritizing, it makes perfect sense to buy a Latigo now. Because you WILL buy one eventually. Why not start enjoying it right off the bat?

Well, if you are prioritizing, it makes perfect sense to buy a Latigo now. Because you WILL buy one eventually. Why not start enjoying it right off the bat?
In black it's a great option for my lever gun.

Agreed.

P6060151.JPG

Brown works fine along this gun.
Winchester 94, 1958 Manuf. Factory drilled for the Redfield peep.

The Montana sling was mentioned especially toward it's lack of "hardware". (A VERY good thing on a VERY good sling.)

The Latigo carries some brass, but another genius of its design is that such hardware is insulated from the gun by leather (in any mode of adjustment).

All but one of my center fire long guns have slings. My AR pistol has a sling. When I get around to it, all the rimfire rifles will get slings.

Right now three guns are wearing paracord slings I made myself (about 120 feet of paracord in my AR pistol's sling) and I have a MagPul MS3 on my HD shotgun. The hunting rifles have leather slings.

I have run single point slings before, and when I didn't know better I had some 3 point slings. 3 point slings are the work of the devil, do not recommend. :rolleyes: I settled on two point slings as being the all around best type. On AR's, I attach the sling to the receiver end plate at the rear, and almost as far forward on the hand guard as I can. I have a MagPul RSA bolted right onto my handguard. I have zero interest in QD anything on my long guns, so they're firmly attached to the guns. I like a wider, thicker sling or one with bungee material - something to give it a bit of cushion. When I was younger and dumber I had some 1" nylon web slings, like the cheap crap Bushmaster gave you. Even a light weight rifle digs into one's shoulder with such a sad thin little sling.

I'm mostly a recreational shooter, most of my rifles are for that purpose.

Lately I've been getting more serious about adapting them to dual purposes. IE defensive.

I only have two slings that I've ever really used (for competitions in the past) both are 1 point slings.

I don't see it being an issue needing a sling, until I NEED a sling.

So my question is, do you keep slings on your rifles 24/7 (even when stored in the safe) or do you own slings and keep them handy on the side?

I did it both ways.

My previous aka former woods/wilderness CF (30-30) lever action rifle had a nice leather military sling on it.

The second rifle (22lr) that I mainly do NOT use for woods/wilderness protection HAS a prettier leather sling for it but I do not keep it on the rifle 24/7.

Cate

There has been a freaking run on everything I want to buy lately!!!

Slings are sold out just about everywhere, at least the ones I want!

Broke down and ordered a couple of blank slate MS1 slings from Magpul website as they showed them in stock. I picked up some of their QD push button things locally. So I'll just need to add them to the slings when they arrive.

Slings for me are a must have, but not always a must use. Most of my rifles are adapted to be used with my Magpul MS3 Gen 2. That along with multiple QD mounts allow me to quickly stitch it onto my different rifles. I also like that the Gen2 can be quickly modified from a 2-point to a 1-point sling. It is also quickly adjusted.

I will add that spending the extra money on quality QD mounts makes a huge difference

Oh yes. I always remove my scopes. Then put them back on each time before going to the range.

That way I can fit the 100+ long guns in the safe. It's a bit crowded, but it works.

Simply zero room for slings.

:s0140:

I'd LOVE to see a photo of your gun-safe, please. I've never seen a safe with 100+ long guns in it before.

Nice thread...I agree slings are a must for so many of the good reasons outlines in your thread. I prefer Viking Tactics slings from Kyle Lamb. VT has a bunch of choices in type and color, and they all seem to be made in the USA!

QD have their place and I like the options to try slings on different attachment points with an AR. I train with them when allowed by the RSO...it's the way Uncle Sam taught me to shoot. I prefer Daniel Defense QD because they attach to a 1913 rail, or right to QD points if your rifle has them built in.

I got used to the QD buttons pretty quick, now a magpul MS sling is pretty standard for my builds. $40-50 might seem like a lot for a glorified strap, but they easily add more than that in functionality.

As a Fashion Accessory:

What do these guns and slings have in common?

P6130154 (1).JPG

If you answered: "Marlin", you are absolutely correct.

Left to Right: Three Model 62 Levermatics: .256, .30 carbine, .256 (possibly uncatalogued or sales sample "Deluxe"), Model1894 Carbine .357.

Each carries a factory "Marlin" trademarked sling. I make no pretense that these slings came with these guns (or were even offered during "the period" of the gun). But the 62's came with fixed swivels and so light slings were imperative. It was fun searching the Gun Show grab-boxes of slings and holsters and "mining" these gems out.

Each was acquired for 7-10 dollars.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top