JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
30/06 bottom and 6m&m top. The slings have been on them for 45 years or so.

20200605_164943.jpg

Why the hell is everything QD too?

I really don't like the little push button things.

Some hooks maybe. Or just good ole webbing.

Do the QD things work well? I've got MLok on most things and the little QD mounts aren't horrible. Yet a QD magpul sling is pretty expensive in my opinion.

Yeah the magpul hooks work well with parachord tied on it appropriate places. They have a lock which is nice.

I want to have slings on all my rifles, but right now I have 1 or 2 that are naked.

I believe its critical for a defensive firearm. Especially if you practice transition to your sidearm, and forget to put the sling on amd toss the rifle on the floor :eek:

If you look at my earlier post, it says "Long Guns" which does include my Shotguns. What little Duck and other Bird Hunting I have done I've found it's nice being able to carry my Shotgun and being able to pick up the Decoys while walking out of the Field. Same goes for other uses of a Shotgun.

I like the Boonie Packer Safari sling for my hunting rifles.
1591410744417.png is/image/cabelas/s7_220723_003_01?hei=380&wid=380[/URL]

For my AR's I like the MagPul MS-2.

I tend to agree.

If it's a heavier bolt or something I may be carrying for some time in the field then it's nice to have a sling.

The only lever action I own that has sling swivels in my Marlin Golden 39 and thats only becasue it came with them from the factory. My Winchesters do not have them as I really do not want to screw a sling swivel on the underside of the stocks but with two of them it would not be an issue of value. I would never do it with my 1899 Mod 94 of course.

Pictured are two of my earliest slings I made. The one on the left is one of the Tandy Leather Co. rifle sling kits they sell and the one on the right is my own creation from about the same time I made when I was a kid! The Tandy kit sling has carried my Santa Barbara .243 Mauser many a weary mile hunting!

I ain't no artist so the best I could do was to stamp my name and some crude designs with some borrowed leatherworking tools!
View attachment 706052
For lever guns, check out brass stacker harness slings and the optional ammo loop slider that goes on them. I have one on one of mine and it is pretty sweet, and no drilling into your stock is required.

Rifles without slings are like pants no belt, shoes with no laces . They FALL,
Just my take.
Long guns are heavy.
NOW A SHOE LACE AS A SLING....
YOUR BELT AS A SLING...
YEAH THATS BETTERS

In Highpower competition the sling is used to stabilize the rifle in prone and sitting positions. If you never have
experienced slinging up in the prone position it is really remarkable how much the sling ads in stabilizing the rifle. :oops:
1591425751659.png

Blue Force Gear Vickers 2-Point Adjustable Sling
Magpul M-Lok QD socket front
M4 loop rear

The basic BFG Vickers 2-Point Adjustable Sling is about $45
The attachment options are many

The materials and workmanship of the BFG slings are top of the top shelf
and the prices are fair.

never thought about not having a sling .....if your trip on foot is longer than the distance between your truck and your bench , its nice to have. If someone tries to take your rifle from you , its nice to have. If you have to pack a rifle and use your hands to climb, gather or take a leak, nice to have.......shotguns too.

Each gun may differ as to what sling is best for that gun and for that gun's purpose.

Since I have never fantasized my civilian self as an "Operator" (despite having served as a Quick Reaction Force Team Leader in an earlier life),
I will confine myself here to discussion of slings for hunting guns; slings used on weapons that actually regularly kill things, sometimes as a direct result of having a good sling.

For more modern rifles with quick detach studs (Uncle Mikes), I like the Nylon (Uncle Mikes) sling that has a wide padded section with the friction strip on the inside which keeps it on the shoulder. Lightweight and instantly adjustable for use as a shooting sling or expanded to allow for carry with heavy clothing, or to be slung diagonally across the back when scaling steep hills, etc.

For very petite lightweight rifles (Contender carbines, Mini-Mausers and the like), I will go with the "Basic" nylon sling, 1" wide its whole length. This is in keeping with the concept of the gun.

For a more "classic" type of rifle, and especially for those guns that came with original non-detachable swivels, there is ONE and ONLY ONE sling that literally DOES IT ALL!;

The Brownells Latigo.

P6060148.JPG

Instantly adjustable. Can be used as a full-purpose target/shooting sling or expanded for the usages described above when length is needed, or cinched short and straight to stay right with the gun when a snap-shot might be anticipated.
Durable (to more than one lifetime) and beautiful.

I also keep one around attached to Mikes swivels for application to a bevy of candidates with those studs. P6060149.JPG 656395-c700dfa196053c57fa4b7da36ccc13bc.jpg
couldn't find the secret code to delete a duplicate picture.

Last Edited:
I do the same - if they are on, they are on. Why would you ever need to take them off? I can't believe that ANY American gun safe is so crowded that there isn't room for a rifle with a sling. What do you do with scopes? Take 'em off? o_O
Oh yes. I always remove my scopes. Then put them back on each time before going to the range.

That way I can fit the 100+ long guns in the safe. It's a bit crowded, but it works.

Simply zero room for slings.

:s0140:

I've got a Ching Sling made by Eric Ching himself. :cool:

However I took it off my "scout" rifle, and duplicated it (home made) in floppy nylon. I found I don't like very stiff slings.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top