JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know if you are into AR, but I recently bought into the idea of having sling on my AR-15 after seeing this video last year:

I now have Magpul sling I put together on my rifle 99% of the time(based on Magpul padded sling & other Magpul parts).

Why the hell is everything QD too?

I really don't like the little push button things.

Some hooks maybe. Or just good ole webbing.

Do the QD things work well? I've got MLok on most things and the little QD mounts aren't horrible. Yet a QD magpul sling is pretty expensive in my opinion.
I wasn't sold on QDs at first, so I put it together in the way it made sense in my head:

##.jpg

#.jpg

It's so embarrassing to share this, because it was a total waste of money & clumsy as hell(I am a noob). It felt clumsy & bulky. Same Magpul padded sling with QD:

Initial Stage(QD on just front):

####.jpg

Current Setup(now QD front & rear, sorry I had my sling off here):

###.jpg

This setup with QD works for me & I find it handy for plinking, but I think I like the functionality for defensive purposes also.

Rifles that spend time outside the safe with me as a potential defensive piece have slings on them. Rifles in the safe that are QD (like magpul) don't have slings on them because it is so easy to put on and take off. The "extra" slings live close by so if I pulled something out I could put a sling on it if desired. Rifles with slings that are not easily taken off live with their slings on in the safe.

Every American rifle owner should have at least 1 sling for that 1 rifle that they can envision protecting their home or their country with.

I don't, but I've been in the same boat. I want to get some slings on mine, but never find a sling that looks like it would work well.

I have one on my hunting rifle and the one year I forgot it, I hiked up and down this super steep mountain and even for a not so heavy rifle my forearms were shot by the end of the day.

That made me realize for a SHTF rifle or defensive, I might want a sling

I have an extra its yours if I can find it.

How do you store them while in the safe?

I keep a couple rifles with slings while in the safe by wrapping the sling loosely around the buttstock and magazine well, then adjust the slack out. Makes it quick to equip as all you need to do is run the slider to loosen and the sling will then fall away.

I am a lefty so it may look odd to some, but here is what my VCAS looks like on a typical M4 in the stowed position IMG_20200603_181835.jpg IMG_20200603_181844.jpg

And here is one of my favorites, the Proctor sling:

IMG_20200603_181810.jpg IMG_20200603_181823.jpg

I have a couple QD slings as well and usually just leave them unhooked until ready, but they can be kept on in a matter similar. It keeps them nice and tight and out of the way during transport or storage.

I have few Magpul MS4 slings as well and put QD sling on my AR upper and I use a two point sling. I bought the Magpul CTR carbine length stock that comes with a push button QD swivel sling mount.

Found a bunch of products that will fit my needs on Amazon including ways to make things QD without the little push button things. Found a good company selling on their that makes wide/thick nylon webbing in the USA so I'll likely be getting their slings and a few components from them to make a few more customized. Amazon sure has a bunch of Chinese crap though. Filtering through that garbage is becoming a chore!

Will certainly work towards getting at least the most defensive types slinged up over the next week or so. Need to look at a few of them and see what would work best on some of them.

A sling on every rifle and a basic OWB holster for every pistol bare minimum. As a hunter since a kid I cant imagine a rifle without a sling.
I leave them on, storage in the safe is kinda a pain but I just move them around to get in out.

I bought this fancy magpul QR interchangable sling for the AR, set it up as a basic 2 point sling. No idea how to use its other configurations so that video shared above was super useful. I havent really used this hunting of course, but the QR attachments are solid and work well IMO.

Heck, yeah, I keep a sling on my rifle. After use in the wetter month the sling may stay out of the safe to dry out while the gun is locked away, but that's the only time they are separated.
I like to use a sling when shooting, especially offhand, but it's useful in nearly all shooting positions. Sometimes I use it to carry my rifle.
My lever action doesn't wear a sling and probably won't, but my 20" pump shotgun does. I carry the shotgun slung over my offhand shoulder, upside down. It is out of the way for most backwoods foot travel and is extremely quick and easy to bring to bear.
I need to get a single point style for my AR.

yes. 24/7. and they're all 2 point slings. blue force gear padded slings on the AR15s and blue force gear m249 saw sling on the ar10(has extra padding). just plain jane ol huntin slings on the huntin rifles.

QD mounts on all rifles allows for interchangeable use of a single sling. (Grov Tech adapters for older rifes conversion to QD.)

The bigger question is what are you using a sling for - as a carry tool; as a stabilization tool; or both.

VTAC slings are different from integrated cuff slings. Hasty slings don't help on the carry side.

I'm currently experimenting with a VTAC sling with a separate cuff with HK clip that can be attached/detached to a forward mount ring for distance stabilization help. Trying to get the best of both worlds.

A sling is to a rifle as a holster is to a pistol plus a whole lot more. Single point slings are too limiting and 3-point slings suck. A quality, adjustable 2-point is the way to go, I currently use Blue Force Gear VCAS slings on all my ARs. Some are QD, some are just looped, I'm not really a fan of HK or MASH hooks, but have been known to use 550 cord.

Current Setup(now QD front & rear, sorry I had my sling off here):

View attachment 705620

This setup with QD works for me & I find it handy for plinking, but I think I like the functionality for defensive purposes also.

I would recommend using the QD socket on the opposite side of your stock, it helps prevent choking yourself when you transition to your left side.
GT goes into it starting at the 12:50 minute mark...

Last Edited:
My rife and both AR pistols are set up with QD mounts for 2 or 1 point mounting. I use the magpul ms4 sling. I have 2 slings, but only use one of them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews